Filters & Hoods

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
oddesy
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Filters to use in harsh light

Unread post by oddesy » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:59 pm

I think the 2 is the better option, IMO :D
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." Aristotle

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Josh of the Bushveld » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:31 pm

I want to stimulate debate on this subject.
From what I understand, light early in the morning and late in the afternoon has its special qualities due to its low angle, and maybe also due to having to travel through more atmosphere. (If you disagree or know more, please post.)

Given those assumptions, I don't see how any filter is going to reduce the effects of 'harsh light', since the filter does not change the nature of the light, e.g. the angle. This is extra true for a neutral density filter, which decreases the amount of light reaching the sensor only, it does not change the nature of the light.

Polarising filters (circular and non) filter out polarised light, i.e. light which has been reflected off a surface. Such filters can also not change the angle of the light, or many other characteristics of the light.

Essentially, I fail to understand how using an ND or CPL filter will improve shots taken in harsh (mid-day) light.
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

Yoda
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Yoda » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:07 pm

Joshilewis,

My understanding is that the ND & CPL filters change the nature of the light that reaches the camera sensor. Perhaps someone vcan give a more technical explanation.

Thanks
Yoda

bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by bert » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:19 pm

CPL works like sunglasses
Actually blocks the harsh light
And enriches dull colours like sand in the middle of the day
Or a bleak sky
How does a CPL filter work

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Josh of the Bushveld » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:55 pm

yoda wrote:Joshilewis,

My understanding is that the ND & CPL filters change the nature of the light that reaches the camera sensor. Perhaps someone vcan give a more technical explanation.

Thanks
Yoda

No, an ND filter simply blocks all wavelengths of light equally (hence 'neutral'). Using an ND filter has the same affect of closing your aperture (ignoring depth of field) - i.e. less light reaches your sensor, but the light is unchanged.

bert wrote:CPL works like sunglasses
Actually blocks the harsh light
And enriches dull colours like sand in the middle of the day
Or a bleak sky
How does a CPL filter work

CPL filters work like polarised sunglasses only :)
I'm not sure I agree with you that it blocks 'harsh light'. I guess it depends on how you define harsh light. A CPL will block only light that has reflected off a surface (glass, water etc).

I am an engineer, so I prefer scientific, logical, quantitative explanations, not qualitative :)

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Josh of the Bushveld » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:56 pm

Also, does 'harsh light' not also imply something about the shadows cast by the light? Neither an ND nor CPL filter will change this.

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

JohnGore

Re: Just got my 100-400mm L finally - what beanbag / support?

Unread post by JohnGore » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:20 am

Hi DuQues

DuQues wrote:Further tips....
When walking extend the lens a little and tighten it again. Then your fingers will comfortably fit between body, lens and tripod stand.

Nice tip! I can see how that works now.

DuQues wrote:Keep an eye on the IS switch. Mine used to have the annoying habit of slipping into off mode. That may have been the beanbag, or my hands, or?

Yes! I had that problem too at the cycle race. I kept bumping the IS switch off and even the IS mode 1 / 2 switch. The 70-200 L(s) have solved this with "flatter" switches. I wonder if it would be possible for me to grind the switch flat ( :twisted: ) ... No, I'm not ready to start damaging it just yet. Will look for some other way to protect the switches for changing modes unexpectedly. (will post here again when I find one that works).

Oh, I also got the trusty UV filter (77mm) to protect the front lens. Its better to be cleaning a filter than cleaning the actual lens IMO. But does the UV filter on 100-400mm L have any other effect on image quality? (other that increasing chance of lens flare of course).

tks for the tips guys! :thumbs_up:

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:43 am

My 100-400 lived with a bit of ducktape for a while. Worked like a charm.

UV filter? 77mm? Nice for use as an ashtray. Nothing else.
(Or in other words, yes it degrades IQ, increases flare and weight. Use your lenshood!)
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

JohnGore

Unread post by JohnGore » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:01 pm

DuQues wrote:My 100-400 lived with a bit of ducktape for a while. Worked like a charm.

Cool. I have white duct-tape actually, so will give that a try. :)

DuQues wrote:UV filter? 77mm? Nice for use as an ashtray. Nothing else.
(Or in other words, yes it degrades IQ, increases flare and weight. Use your lenshood!)

That bad hey? Ouch! Will do some tests myself, and then decide (as already have bought the filter). Tks for the input.

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:11 pm

Read this, this and well, you can click the links there...

Good enough reason to leave it off, even if it was an expensive one? :whistle:

Lensprotection: Lens hood.

Cleaning? Carefully-ish, with a clean fluid. (In fact, try shooting with a match glued to the lens. You won't see it.)
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

john n poppy
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Filters....or no filters (Nikon)

Unread post by john n poppy » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:18 pm

Hi all,

I currently use filters as protection for the end of my lenses...

Is there specific filters that will be more useful for my trip in August to Kruger.

I have a D90, 70-300 F4.5/5.6 and will be hiring a 70-200 F2.8 lens+1.7 convertor.

Any guidance would be greatly recieved.

cheers

a very excited, only 43 days to go .....john
KTP August 2017..... my first visit :big_eyes:

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Re: Filters....or no filters (Nikon)

Unread post by DuQues » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:38 pm

john n poppy wrote:Is there specific filters that will be more useful for my trip in August to Kruger.

Not a filter. Never ever use a filter unless it is really, really needed. To protect your lens you have your lenshood.
The lenshood will do more than protect your front lens, it'll do what it has been designed to do, which is preventing lensflare.

Filters, especially the cheaper ones, degrade the image quality, and that is the last thing you want.

You can take a neutral density filter or a polariser with, those can be handy in landscape photos.

Switchback

Unread post by Switchback » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:52 am

Hi JnP,

I also use a Nikon D90 and use Hoya UV filters on all my lenses. I have done my own personal tests and for me I can't see one bit of a difference on my shots with / without UV filters on. Yes, the lens hood does protect your lens, but there was one situation where I would've had to buy a new 70-300mm lens if it were not for my UV lens to protect it...

Agree, take neutral density filter or a polariser filters with. :thumbs_up:
Last edited by Switchback on Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KNP: 14 June: Skukuza Camping
15 -21 June: Letaba Camping

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:19 am

There are quite a few topics around the internet with people complaining about their lens being soft. Returning from a trip with not-good photos.

But you can easily test it (testing with a pola I would advise anyway, then you don't need to figure out how to work it in the field.).

Just grab a tripod, the lens and the filters. Pop off to a nice place where you can test, and start shooting with and without filters. It would not be a bad choice to bring a testcard with, like this one.
Just set it up and without changing aperture or anything! make photos with and without filter. Then compare the photos at 100% at home.

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:39 pm

Whilst I do agree with Berkhead, lets have everyone make up his/her mind? The method I proposed to John works, is fun to do, and gives him a chance to try out the pola and Neutral Density.

I am firmly against UV filters, no matter what they cost. But from my earlier posts that easily seen.
They cause flare, degrade (arguably depending on quality) the image quality, and filter out something that you do not see, and does not hurt.

But 100% views of with or without will show it.
I hope he posts the results, the photos I mean.

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”