Mokala: Advice

Augrabies, Kgalagadi, Mokala, Namaqua, |Ai-|Ais/Richtersveld

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

mh_baer

Re: Mokala

Unread post by mh_baer »

@ louis dreyer: Maybe Google Maps helps. The satelite resolution from that area seems to be quite good.
I guess this might be Lilydale (in a few weeks I can tell you for sure :D )
Wild Dog Fan

Unread post by Wild Dog Fan »

Hi there,

we are going to visit Mokala in March first time and are realy exited...pictures in the forums create big expectations !

Can anybody tell me about the best access from western direction (at the parks homepage I found only the directions from Capetown or via Kimberley).

Many thanks in advance,

Gert
Stoffel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stoffel »

Wild Dog Fan

From where will you be coming from the west?

No matter from which direction you're coming - it will be best to join up with the N12 (National Road) that runs between Kimberley and Hopetown. Then drive either in a southernly direction from Kimberley for approximately 55 km or a northernly direction if coming from Hopetown for 65 km before you get the turn-off to Mokala (that is if you are going to Mosu Lodge) From the turn-off (from the N12) it is another 21 km gravel road to the park's entrance gate and a further 5.5 km to Reception.

During my last visit I approached the park from Douglas (via Plooysburg), but it is quite a lot of gravel road travelling with poor (if any) road signs to the park.
wattsi

Unread post by wattsi »

Hi Stoffel,
Our brief stay at Mokala - Lilydale was fantastic. The camp is so peaceful and the staff so very helpful. We unfortunately took the wrong turn and landed up at the Mosu gate - not that it was a problem as the drive was good and we saw many antelope on the farms along the road - Sable, Kudu Tessebe, Eland, Wildbebeest and Buffalo. We were given directions to Lilydale and even before we arrived at Lilydale, we received a call from reception (Bronwyn) to check if we had found the correct route. On arrival she was so friendly and helpful and even organised a meal from the restuarant which had already closed. There was such a storm brewing so it would have been miserable trying to braai in the rain. We were too tired to drive around so just sat back on our patio and enjoyed sundowners, birds and the storm. We departed early in the morning en route to Jhb. I really was very impressed with Mokala and we will definately make plans in the future to spend a few days - both at Lilydale and Mosu. Cheers.
Orangek

Mokala - dangerous creepies with a 3 year old

Unread post by Orangek »

Hi there everyone. We leave for Mokala on Saturday and I have a few questions that the lodge have not been able to answer. I have a very active 3 year old who will be joining us and I have a few worries about the following:
1. Ticks. Did anybody encounter ticks and what kind are they? The bigger black ones or the very tiny, sometimes pin-head size, red ones? I will spray his clothing with Bayticol but would like to know what I am in for.
2. Snakes. Did anybody encounter snakes around the camp site and what species should I be looking out for?
3. Scorpions. What types, big pincers or small pincer types?
4. Any other dangerous creepies that I should be aware of.
Medical care is 90 minutes drive away in Kimberley so I don't want to take any chances here.
Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Mokala - dangerous creepies with a 3 year old

Unread post by Bush Baptist »

The thickness of the tail determines the scale of danger. The thicker the tail, the more poisonous.
Whatever : "You are right but I don't want to admit it".

In a world of grey, be RED

Latest lifers: Red-rumped Swallow, Red Phalarope, Purple Gallinule, Chukar Partridge, Australasian Gannet, Brown Booby

Latest World Lifer: White tailed eagle
moggiedog
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by moggiedog »

Orangek - Don't get down in the dumps - life has a way of spitting in our eye - especially after the disappointment with your problems with the trailer.
Mokala is beautiful and just the place to recapture the joy of living.

We saw non of the creepy crawlies you mentioned (I am sure they are around- but are more scared of us than we are of them) - nor did we have problems with tics - do not let the world get you down - Normally when we don't look forward to something we have the best time ever.

If the worst comes to the worst - I am sure you will be able to charge your battery at reception if you take a battery charger with you. When we were there - I had my freezer plugged into a power point at the office during the day to save on our battery.

get away from it all and have a wonderful time.
A Conundrum before Tankwa

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER !
DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues »

Bush Baptist wrote:The thickness of the tail determines the scale of danger. The thicker the tail, the more poisonous.

Easier way, and a little more sure is to look at the pinchers. Thick ones will only hurt, thin ones are the baddies. (Especially if you have nothing to compare this is a surer way.)
Both kinds are usually not active during the day as they will be easily seen by birds, and eaten. Just don't start turning over bricks and deadwood. Bit difficult to tell a 3 year old, especially as all boys want to walk around with a stick. So maybe make sure you give him one?

During the night they are active, but very easily spotted with a UV lamp. (They light up underneath UV, see here.)
But I guess that won't be a problem as the little one will be asleep or at least in bed by then?
WillemK
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Mokala NP: ADVICE

Unread post by WillemK »

Hi Jonkers

I stayed at Mosu lodge twice this year (in the self catering lodges) and I was not disappointed. The camp is abou 6km from the main gate (21km of gravel road from the N12 tarred road) and I had easy access to all the roads within the park. The Kameeldoring loop as well as the Doornlaagte loop road within park were closed in February 2011 but both were open during my last trip in the end of March after some upgrading (evidence visible).

I heard they are working on a road to connect the area where Mosu lodge is and Lilydale but to my knowledge it is not yet open. I did use all four roads (Kameeldoring, Doornlaagte, Matopi and Tsessebe loop) on my last visit with nice gaming opportunites. Like I said on the other site - if you are into birding (especially small birds), Mokala is just the place for you. It seems like the brds love cameras - opportunites all over the place. There is even a very nice bird hid on a dam for your convinience. I am still not familiar how to post pictures on this site - the reason why I haven't posted any pictures yet.

I can recommend Mosu camp (only lodges are available - no camping facilties) without any hestitation. There is even a restuarant available though we didn't use it. Just the old fasion "braai"
every evening on the standard SANPARK braai equipment was more than enough for us.

See my other comments on another Mokala topic (the road conditions).

Enjoy it.
Follow my photography journey including trip reports and photos on my blog
Duke Ellieton

Unread post by Duke Ellieton »

Hi Jonkers
Mokala is a little gem. We were there in March 2011
Check this out
Sabra

Unread post by Sabra »

Hi, we are back from South Africa and we had 3 wonderful nights at Mokalas Mosu Lodge.
We booked one of the two Luxus Executive Suites with direct view to the waterhole, but the grass was very high after the good rainy season. The Restaurant was very good.

Mokala is a beautiful park with a very green Landscape and a lot of wildlife. We saw 4 Rhinos, a herd of Buffalos, Zebras, Giraffe and min. 12 different antelope species: Roan, Impala, Blesbock, Bushbock, Red Hartebest, Tsessebe, Eland, Steenbok, Duiker, Spingbok (also a black one) and Kudu.

Last week I finished the Mokala Part of my website.

Sorry, Text is in German only (to much work to translate everything), but there are many photos on 6 pages: Mosu Lodge, Animals und from the different Loops: Matopi, Tssessebe, Kameeldoring Loop
and Doornlagte Loop.

http://www.ingrids-welt.de/reise/sa/html/mokala.htm

13 Holidays in South Africa since 2002 - Next one: May 2016
louis dreyer
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by louis dreyer »

Any body going to Mokala, please send best regards to Tess and Deon from myself and Renee.

The brown hyena's that was released, we've been there when they was still in the boma, we were there when they fitted there collars.

Enjoy this park. 700km from us
Keep them YR's flying

October 2018, Kruger i'm coming :D :D :D

NO HOTELS PLEASE !!!!!!!
louis dreyer
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by louis dreyer »

As far as i can remember yes.

This is what is advertised on SANparks site.

Haak-en-Steek Camp
Rustic Cottage (1 unit)
Self Catering (braai facility in lapa, gas stove & oven, gas fridge / freezer, kitchen, utensils, cutlery & crockery)
Two sleeping areas (divided by wall), one double bed in open kitchen area, 2 single beds
WC, shower and hand basin
No electricity, no air conditioner

Rustic Camping (5 sites)
Braai facilities in lapa, no electricity, gas geysers, no kitchen or cooking facilities
Keep them YR's flying

October 2018, Kruger i'm coming :D :D :D

NO HOTELS PLEASE !!!!!!!
OD_1

Unread post by OD_1 »

Hi Guys,

I'm gonna be visiting Mokala at the end of June and would like some more info regarding the different drives that are available as well as their prices... If anyone can help me in this regard that would be great!

PEACE
Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist »

Welcome to the forum OD_1.

I am also intending to visit and need to know;

When coming in from the north, can we go directly to Lilydale, or must we check in at Haak & Steek?
Whatever : "You are right but I don't want to admit it".

In a world of grey, be RED

Latest lifers: Red-rumped Swallow, Red Phalarope, Purple Gallinule, Chukar Partridge, Australasian Gannet, Brown Booby

Latest World Lifer: White tailed eagle