Wildlife in Camps

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Cats and animals inside camps???

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Sun May 30, 2010 5:58 pm

:hmz: Bushfairy, it reminds me.

A few years ago we also stayed in Biyamiti, father (me), son & grandfather (Jerry Hattrick).
Father & son went on a night ride and Jerry styed to do the braai. When we returned he complained about a cat that was moseying around, looking for food. He had shoo'ed it off.
I told him you don't get cats in Kruger(domestic), and asked for a description.

It was a civet, maybe the same one as yours BF!
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

BushFairy
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by BushFairy » Sun May 30, 2010 6:07 pm

BB wouldn't surprise me if it was! :hmz: It was a very relaxed civet obviously really used to people!! We go to Biyamiti every year and we only saw the civet one of the years (after that it was gone), but we still see large spotted genets in camp every year! :)
Study nature, Love nature, Stay close to nature. It will never fail you!

barcelona

Unread post by barcelona » Mon May 31, 2010 8:44 pm

We had 2 honey badgers raid our garbage at Satara on the night of 25th of May, 2010. Anyone else in Satara see them that night? There was a guy following them with a flashlight....was it one of you? :D

Also, a word of warning....we found leopard prints on the morning of the 20th of May in Tamboti. They were fresh, as they were over our tracks from the night before! :big_eyes:
Join me on my Maun, Botswana adventure!
http://maunbotswanaadventure.blogspot.com/

barcelona

Unread post by barcelona » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:06 pm

yeah, I can't believe how foolish we were.....

In Tamboti, we had signed up for a night drive, and misunderstood when they said we were to meet them at ablution 1. We thought they said camp number one. So, we drove (as we were at the time feeling a little :big_eyes: about walking around Tamboti in the dark.)
After waiting awhile, we could hear the driver driving around.
My dad suggested we walk from camp 1 to the gate, and wait for the driver there.
My SO agreed, and I called them hyena food and told them under no terms was I walking to the gate in the dark... But after they left, it only took about a minute of me standing in the dark alone to realize better to be in a group!
The driver scolded us, and told us what we did was VERY UNSAFE.
I told him I tried to stop them....
The next day, walking around camp, we decided to head back to the gate, and there were the tracks, right on top of ours. :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Will never be that foolish again...
Join me on my Maun, Botswana adventure!
http://maunbotswanaadventure.blogspot.com/

Kathy

Unread post by Kathy » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:37 pm

Went to Kruger with my parents in the 80's - mom and I both needed the loo in the middle of the night, so off we went with our one shared torch.
In the bathroom (for some reason the lights were not on) - my mom kept the torch - I felt something "land" on my flannel pj's.
In light of the fact that I have an unnatural fear of spiders, it may have as well have been a lion, because I screamed the place down.... Turns out, when mom ran out of the next door stall with her pj's around her ankles, that it was just a poor little bat!!!!!! Fright of my life!!!!!!
Other subsequent "real" animals in camps include the regular honey badger at Satara, the bushbabys and a Genet at Skukuza.
Loved the badger (who by the way thought that my daughters diaper that he dug out of the bin tasted wonderful) and the Genet. The genet returned both nights we were there - very very cute!
Kathy

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by okie » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:00 pm

When we were in Punda last October , we were told about an incident concerning a buffalo the day before our arrival . Apparently the buffalo , having been " wounded " by lions , came running up the road through the gate and into camp . It ran through the campground , half demolishing someones tent , before stopping . Its innards were spilling out , and it was then shot by rangers .
Does anyone know any more of this ?

Just imagine what could have happened if the lions had followed the buff into camp :hmz:
Tread softly , and let your departure not be spoiled by the damage of your arrival

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

leopard74
Location: Physical Address: Vereeniging Gauteng, Wannabe Address: Kruger Park

Unread post by leopard74 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:03 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm kinda new to the forums although I've been reading it on a daily basis.
December 2008 we were sleeping in Lower Sabie when I heard something scrathing against my trailer's tent 00:30 at night. {Now I don't know about you, but that's not the kind of sound that one would like to hear whilst camping in the bush?}.
So I decided to slowly open the tent so that I can at least pop my eye out to see what's happening. So I had a look, and there they were, two massive hyenas trying to get something from under my trailer :big_eyes: {probably meat or something that was left there by the previous campers}.

And as fate may have it, I had to go to the bathroom :hmz:
So I waited a few minutes for them to leave, then I finally got the courage to walk to the bathroom. The next moment Four hyenas came running past about 10 metres away from me, and I felt the shivers running down my spine!!! But it's funny how quick one can react in such a situation, because I saw a lady and her child walking away from the bathroom and the first thing that crossed my mind is the child! According to me Hyenas won't hesitate to attack the mother for her child? So I shouted to the lady to run back into the bathroom. Luckily the Hyenas weren't intrerrested in them. I counted about 8 Hyenas in camp that night.

The next morning I reported it to the camp and they said that those Hyenas keeps on coming back every now and then, somehow they keep on coming through the fences.
Malelane 2 - 4 Jan 2013

When in doubt, stop and look again.

Wild Dreamer
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Wild Dreamer » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:13 am

Leopard74! Welcome with your first post on the forums! We joined the mites nearly the same time!
But the hyenas! Wow! I think the adrenaline rush is also part of the raw bush experience. Scary story...
Good and fast thinking there with the ma and kid! That fast thinking is the stuff heroes are made of!
:thumbs_up:

okie
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by okie » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:51 pm

In 2003 a genet had the "concession" for raiding Satara's dustbins , but now it's honey badgers :whistle:

Tread softly , and let your departure not be spoiled by the damage of your arrival

Next :
3 - 6 Sept 2013 - Punda.
7 - 10 Sept 2013 -Shingwedzi .
11 - 13 Sept 2013 - Balule .
14 - 17 Sept 2013 - Satara .

saraf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: sightings within Lower Sabie Camp

Unread post by saraf » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:53 am

On our Dec/Jan trip 2 years ago we decided to have a lie in.
However I couldn't sleep , so I took my coffee to the stoop and had a great view of 4 elephants on the opposite bank coming down for a bathe and play.

Last Oct we arrived back from a drive, having just seen 8 lions on the bridge over the river.
When we asked our neighbours if they'd seen them they replied no, not from the bridge, but they got a good view of the trying to bring down a giraffe on the sand bank opposite the chalets.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

SusieB

Unread post by SusieB » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:16 pm

We spent 2 hours with torches watching 4 male lions hunting in the reeds right in front of our river view tent one night in August. It was amazing, one of the highlights of our trip!! Just a shame it was too dark for photos...

big5spotter
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by big5spotter » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:24 pm

Hyena's ellies buff hippos and while we were on a night drive my parents saw a male lion walking along the fence while they were on the deck
'When someone shares something of value with you, and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others'

3 Male lions hunting buffalo: The Movie!!!

RogerFraser

Unread post by RogerFraser » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:59 pm

we had this guy visit us a few times while camping there two years ago :

:cam: :thumbs_up:
Camping...

Always planning the next trip......
~ Nothing exists for itself alone, but only in relation to other forms of life ~ Charles Darwin

jeffgordon

Your success with a torch in the camps at night?

Unread post by jeffgordon » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:26 pm

Hi everyone,

I am one of those annoying people you see wandering around the camps at night with a torch, scanning the branches of every tree and beaming into every dark corner in search of night time wonders.

I spent 8 nights in the park recently and did plenty of night time exploring, but was a bit disappointed with my lack of success.

I still saw some great things, including:

OLIFANTS
- An absolutely gigantic scorpion near the petrol station
- A spring hare on the grass alongside reception

TAMBOTI
- 2 female bushbuck
- impala
- a very strange fast-moving, frantic spider thing
- hyaena on the perimeter fence (though I was more interested in what's inside, than outside)

LOWER SABIE
- tons and tons of shongololos in all the trees

CROC BRIDGE
- Small nagapie tight-rope walking across a telephone wire

I was wondering what others have seen with their torches at night? I was quite surprised not to see any snakes, as I assumed they were nocturnal. Perhaps I am just not a great night-time snake spotter!
Last edited by jeffgordon on Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bushbaby30
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Location: Unfortunately not in KNP so I had to settle with Jo'burg

Re: Your success with a torch in the camps at night?

Unread post by Bushbaby30 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:47 pm

I think its much the same as daytime spotting... On the right place at the right time.
I have been quite lucky.
Had a few bushbaby spots (Satara, Letaba, Skukuza)
A Pearl spotted owl (Olifants)
Giant eagle owl (Letaba)
Chameleon (Tamboti)
A genet (Skukuza)
Stripedpolecat (Skukuza)
Honeybadger (Satara and Tamboti)
And lots of Scorpions and Red Romans in Balule

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Return to “Kruger National Park”