Wildlife photography - Composition guidelines

francoisd
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Wildlife photography - Composition guidelines

Unread post by francoisd »

Talking of getting down low, I don’t think one can get much lower than this laying on your stomach :) These guys are quite fast so of all the shots I took this is the only one that’s in focus. Photographed it in the parking area of Matambeni bird hide. Just enough time to drop down and click on auto settings.

I see that the Appr was F4. Am I correct in saying that if I had more time to change settings and go up to e.g. F8 that I would maybe have gotten the back legs and antennae in focus?

Let see if I can spot what’s wrong with the composition of the picture?
- I did not get the whole of the right antenna into the frame
- Maybe should’ve lifted myself 5mm and cut out the blurred sand in the foreground

"The measure of life is not its duration but its donation." - Peter Marshall
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/francois700926/
DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues »

francoisd wrote:I see that the Appr was F4. Am I correct in saying that if I had more time to change settings and go up to e.g. F8 that I would maybe have gotten the back legs and antennae in focus?

You would have gotten more in focus (if the little bugger stays still that is) but in these cases the bit that is in focus is small enough to serve as a very sharp knife.
francoisd wrote:Let see if I can spot what’s wrong with the composition of the picture?
- I did not get the whole of the right antenna into the frame
- Maybe should’ve lifted myself 5mm and cut out the blurred sand in the foreground

Ok, the antenna is not entirely in the photo, but... If you crop it a bit it's great. Just set your croptool to 3:2 and take out the foreground and a bit of the right.
bert

Unread post by bert »

francoisd wrote:I

Let see if I can spot what’s wrong with the composition of the picture?

Not much really :?
Actually it is a very good one :D
Foreground is blurred so that doesnt distract from the main subject. Placed well, and as DQ said, getting the long thin things sharp is very hard . A little movement and these things start swaying like a rod with a great white on it.
Indeed F8 o F11 would be nicer.