Skip to Content

Karoo: Info/Advice

Addo, Camdeboo, Karoo, Mountain Zebra
christo
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Camping in Karoo NP in June with a baby?

Unread post by christo » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:13 pm

BB, it differs from year to year, we had snow on the mountains there and temperatures of below freezing early July (I think it was 2008?).

I see that Beaufort West has an average minimum in June of 2.6 degrees and an average maximum of 16.8 degrees. I suspect the park is a little colder, being coser to the mountains.

It depends on how early the winter arrives, but in a tent it will be cold in the morning hours. (Colder than I would suggest for a baby.). Maybe the electric blanket is a good idea, but the baby will still need a nappy change, etc.

Who knows, this year there might be a mild June.
To change ones life start immideately. Do it flamboyantly. No exceptions.

LionWhisperer

First time in Karoo

Unread post by LionWhisperer » Sat May 15, 2010 7:11 pm

Hello there everyone. I will be going to the Karoo NP for the first time. What is the status of the camp with regard to the lion proofing. Will there they be working on the fence while we there, or is it done, or not started yet. We will be there on 3 June

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Re: First time in Karoo

Unread post by Addo Elephant » Tue May 18, 2010 10:32 am

Hi LionWhisperer,

The fence around the restcamp has been completed already but the lions have not yet been released and won't be by the time you are there. The fence is a low electrified fence so unobtrusive but effective.

Enjoy your visit!
Megan Taplin
Communications Manager: Frontier Region

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Addo Elephant » Wed May 26, 2010 2:12 pm

Hi JDW
We have not set a date for the lion release yet. It might happen by September but we are not yet sure. I'll keep everyone updated.
Megan Taplin

LionWhisperer

Unread post by LionWhisperer » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:38 pm

Hello there Guys

I was in the Karoo over the Weekend. What a wonderful place. The staff are awesome and we had a great time. Saw more game than expected, which was a pleasant surprise. The Lion proof fencing really works (From a visual point of view I mean) It does not disturb the view at all. Well done all at Sanparks.

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Addo Elephant » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:33 am

Thanks for the wonderful compliments, LionWhisperer :D I'll be sure to pass them on to the staff concerned.

It's great to hear that the new fence is not a visual disturbance as I think there are a few visitors who are worried about the impact of introducing lions.
Megan Taplin

Leanawel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Karoo NP chalets

Unread post by Leanawel » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:32 pm

:D Hi there, the Karoo chalets and cottages are FULLY EQUIPPED, some of them even got a DSTV (limited chanels) TV. There is a braai area outside with the most wonderful view on the veld and mountains. If you visit the webpage of Karoo National Park and click on "accommodation" in the green area on your left, you will find all the information you need. :thumbs_up:

wanderw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
Location: Heart - Grootkolk, Soul - KTP, Body - far too far south most of the time!

Unread post by wanderw » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:13 pm

Hi Kaapsedraai :)

We also did a 'sleepover' visit to KarrooNP on our way to MZNP in June this year.

You should definitely do the whole 'Klipspringer Pass' loop which includes the Doornhoek valley. We saw lots of game, as well as Black Rhino in the Doornhoek valley, and the Black eagles. :dance: .This loop is also great for scenery. You will find quite a few birds around the rest camp, there is also a bird hide that you can walk to from the camp at the moment, but I'm not sure what is going to happen about the hide when the lions are released. If you have a bit of time left over, you can possible also do the Lammertjieleegte road on your way out.(that covers just about the whole park for non 4x4s)

We were very impressed wirh this park and will definitely stay longer next time. :thumbs_up:
Kgalagadi Leopard Identification Guide and Sightings Form
http://www.ast.uct.ac.za/~schurch/leopards/

F2/2014

Elmavz

Karoo National Park First Timers

Unread post by Elmavz » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:01 am

We are going to Karoo in December2010. Just a few questions if anyone can help we will be greatful. 1. Swimmingpool? 2. Can we camp with a Fleetline, how are the roads? 3. What are the temparatures in December, day and night?

Thanks
E

annie R

Re: Karoo National Park First Timers

Unread post by annie R » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:47 pm

Yes, there's a swimming pool. Not sure what a Fleetline is, but I suspect it's one of those campervan thingies? We were there last month and there was a camper the size of a Golden Arrow bus, so anything smaller than that should be fine! The roads are all very good. Obviously you won't be able to do the 4x4 roads, but you won't be expecting to, will you?
Not sure of December temperatures, but I know we were nearby in Camdeboo and Graaff-Reinet in December 2008 and nearly melted. I'm sure someone else will be able to help with average temperatures...

Stoffel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Karoo National Park First Timers

Unread post by Stoffel » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:49 pm

We camped in Karoo for 13 nights over the December/January 2008/09 festive season. Yes, it can get quite hot. But the camping area has lots of trees supplying ample shade and the main rest camp has a great swimming pool (although we never used it). Make sure to pack a fan.

Most of the camping sites are more than big enough to accommodate a Jurgens Fleetline.

The entrance road from the N1 is tarred all the way to the camping area. The Lammerleegte road (for game viewing) is also tarred and so is the road up Klipspringer Pass. The Potlekkertjie road (starting at the end of the Klipspringer Pass) is a good gravel road over the middle plateau, down into and through the Doornhoek amphi-theatre and back via the Karoo plains on the western side (just less than a 50 km circular road). The Doornhoek valley is a good place to find game - even black rhino.
Chris Boucher
9 - 15 May 2017 - Berg-&-Dal
16 - 22 May - Lower Sabie
23 - 29 May - Satara
30 May - 5 June - Tsendze

Stoffel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Things to do in Karoo park?

Unread post by Stoffel » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:02 pm

If I call myself a Kruger fanatic, I should probably also call myself a Karoo maniac. But there's a huge difference between these parks. In Kruger you can expect something exciting everyday. But Karoo is a park to go and find your own inner soul by just indulging yourself into the undeniable silence, tranquility and grandeur of this part of South Africa. Even after the release of lions and cheetahs you will probably find this unique park a rather quite place regarding animal activity versus Kruger or KTP. It is quite a big park (just less than 90 000 ha) with the biggest part in rather barren mountainous area. Being situated in a semi-dessert area the carrying capacity of the park is much, much lower than a park like Kruger - in other words much less game are to be found per square kilometre.

Therefore, my recommendation to first-time visitors is to go to Karoo with the idea of going to find peace in yourself and not expect to see lots of game.
Chris Boucher
9 - 15 May 2017 - Berg-&-Dal
16 - 22 May - Lower Sabie
23 - 29 May - Satara
30 May - 5 June - Tsendze

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Friedrich von Hörsten » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:11 pm

Thank you, Stoffel!

That is a pretty good summary of what the Karoo is about.
Having said that, what is the difference between Karoo and Kalahari? Same animals, same carrying capacity, same extremes in temperature...
But NO Nossob and Auob riverbed, where animals concentrate in the rainy season! The only serious `river' around here is the Leeu-Gamka, which is mostly more south of the park. The only other `magnet' to attract animals, is the waterholes. So expansion of the park onto the southern plains, plus more roads for sedan vehicles to watering spots will give approximately the same kind of animal viewing experience as the Kalahari in the long run! Hopefully it will always stay quiet and peaceful!
At least it is closer than Kgalagadi!

Friedrich von Hörsten
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

MATTHYS

Unread post by MATTHYS » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:11 pm

More info to be found in this thread, Jonjon.

Addo Elephant wrote here :

There will be 8 lions translocated to Karoo NP - four adults and four cubs. Our policy is going to be to have a very conservative lion carrying capacity and to monitor the effect of lions on the prey population. We will manage the lion population at between 12 and 15 lions until we have evidence that we can carry more lions.
aquila non capit muscas

Addo Elephant
Guru
Guru

Unread post by Addo Elephant » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:47 pm

I agree, Stoffel has summed up Karoo well.

For others reading this topic who may not have been to Karoo National Park, here's what you can do:

Wildlife Viewing and Scenic Drives – Take a drive on Lammerjiesleegte, the Klipspringer Pass or the Potlekkertjie Loop for views of the spectacular scenery and wildlife viewing. Keep an eye out for Cape mountain zebra, black rhino, gemsbok, springbok, eland, kudu, Burchell’s zebra, steenbok, klipspringer, ostrich and Verraux’s eagle.

Fossil Trail – explore this 400-metre trail which is also wheelchair-accessible and learn about the fossils which have been found entombed in the rocks of the Great Karoo landscape. Genuine fossils and petrified wood are on display on this paved trail.

Bossie Trail – wander along the 800-metre long path on a mountain slope where you can learn about the medicinal and cultural uses of the karoo plants. Collect a pamphlet with a key to these fascinating facts from reception before you start the trail. (This walk will be guided after lion introduction).

Pointer Trail - The Pointer Trail offers two route options: one of 4.9 km and the other of 11.4 km, climbing up to a high point with spectacular views over the landscapes of the Park. (this walk will be guided after lion introduction).

Ou Schuur Interpretive Centre – This treasure-trove of information about the history, cultural heritage and ecosystems of the Karoo will keep you entertained for hours and leave you with a greater understanding of the area.

Bulkraal – Situated off the Lammerjiesleegte loop, braai and picnic sites are available here for a lunch or snack stop. You can also take a refreshing dip in the swimming pool.

Bird Hide – the bird hide is situated near reception and overlooks a small wetland and reedbed.

4x4 Trails – The 13km Afsaal loop and 90km Nuweveld loop are available for 4x4ers at no extra cost. You can also stay over at the Embizweni cottage on the Nuweveld trail if you want to "get away from it all".
The 7 km Pienaars Pass trail winds up the steep slopes to join up with the Klipspringer Pass. This trail is technically difficult and caution should be exercised. Only 4x4 vehicles may travel on this trail. Enquire at reception for tariffs. You can also take a trip on the 4x4 trail on a guided game drive.

Night Drives – guided night drives are on offer on the Park’s vehicle. Learn about the fascinating world of nocturnal animals and gaze at the clear starry skies. Enquire at reception for bookings and tariffs.
Megan Taplin

Return to “Frontier Parks”