Skip to Content

Giraffe

Find, identify and discuss the animals of all the SANParks
adw
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Giraffe

Unread postby adw » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:06 pm

Photographed on the H1-4. A handsome dark bull. This photo required no cropping and filled the frame of my camera.

Rhino Poaching - Highlight's man's stupidity and greediness.

Gunner
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Location: South Africa, Mpumalanga, Middelburg....289km from KNP!!!

Unread postby Gunner » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:18 am

Fantastic pics everyone :clap:

Henks Giraffe looks like it lost its false teeth :doh:

ADW....Great pic of the twins :thumbs_up:

Wild about cats
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Wild about cats » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:40 pm

On one of the H4-1 loops

Next SANPark: Mapungubwe 2015

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Letaba Ladies, 3rd Edition - '14 - '15

fee

giraffe behaviour

Unread postby fee » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:30 pm

I have experienced on a few visits giraffe that intertwine their necks with each other.
Last visit we witnessed on a few occasions giraffes clobbering one another with their necks, but besides aiming for the neck, were going down and hitting their heads on the others legs. There has also been instances that they look like they are "dancing". It has been mentioned that this could be courting.
Are the clobbering acts of aggression and fighting for a female, dominance, or what.
Can someone explain this behaviour. Its quite fascinating.

Hippo-fan

Re: giraffe behaviour

Unread postby Hippo-fan » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:43 pm

This is what I found for you in a book called “Beat about the bush”

The most subtle form of this behaviour, which only involves gentle rubbing or intertwining of the necks, is called ‘necking’, and it usually occurs between a courting pair. It is simply the male’s way of trying to signal his intent to the female. Necking can also occur between immature males that could be practising manoeuvres for later life. The more aggressive form is appropriately called ‘sparring’, and occurs between adult males who use the behaviour to establish dominance.

Giraffes don’t defend territories, but males will develop a local hierarchy by fighting one another, the reward for the highest-ranked male being access to oestrous females. Sparring involves the adversaries standing next to each other (facing the same opposite directions) and attempting to land blows with their short stubby horns by swinging their necks and using their heads as hammers. The skulls of male giraffe become heavier and more knobbly with age, making for more effective weapon during sparring. Blows are aimed anywhere on the body, and the duel can continue for hours until one individual becomes submissive and backs away.
Kruger 2010 countdown

19 sept Letaba, 20-22 sept Sirheni, 23 sept Olifants, 24-26 sept Amukela (Balule Game Reserve), 27-28 sept Lower Sabie, 29-30 sept Skukuza, 1-2 oct. Shishangeni Camp Shonga , 3 oct. Lower Sabie, 4-5 oct Satara, 6 oct. Letaba

Wild about cats
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Wild about cats » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:34 pm

Saw another dark male on the Lower Sabie Skukuza road

Next SANPark: Mapungubwe 2015

Birding Weekend 2014 - Satara 3

Exploring Letaba - '13-'14

Letaba Ladies, 3rd Edition - '14 - '15

fee

Unread postby fee » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:58 pm

thanks hippo-fan for this info ... interesting. The ones we saw two weeks ago, were young males bashing each other. We saw more than one incident and in different parts of the park. The blows were quite loud and after some time the squabble ended and off they marched together. Got good video coverage of it.

Spotted Cat
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Spotted Cat » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:03 pm

Satara area December 2010 - The little one still had the umbilical cord dangling from its belly :)

"Happiness is like jam. You can't spread even a little without getting some on yourself."

GlenD
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby GlenD » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:50 am

I saw a DVD titled "Caught in the Act", and it featured two giraffe that were sparring. One of the giraffes planted a well aimed shot to the other and promptly knocked his opponent unconcious for a second or two. The giraffe dropped like a sack of potatoes, layed there for a bit before struggling to get up.
Berg-en-Dal 28/12/2015 to 29/12/2015
Lower Sabie 29/12/2015 to 03/01/2016

Jungle Junkie
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Jungle Junkie » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:08 am

I am two with nature ~ Woody Allen ~

To vote for your FAVOURITE WEBCAM SIGHTING go HERE

My Trip to Marakele National Park- Here

jeffgordon

The giraffe that 'committed suicide'

Unread postby jeffgordon » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:36 am

I have been meaning to post this on the forum for ages, but never got around to it.

Late winter one year my partner and I set off early one morning from Letaba, heading due south. About a kilometer or two from the camp we came across a dead giraffe lying in the bush a few meters from the side of the road.

A chap and his wife in a bakkie nearby pulled up alongside us and explained what he had seen happen the night before.

He said he had been on his way back to camp just before gate closing time and had come across two giraffes fighting violently at the very spot where the dead giraffe now lay.

He watched as the one giraffe broke the leg of the other, leaving it dying on the ground.

What the chap saw next really surprises me, but he said it with the full conviction that he knew what he saw and didn't doubt it. Personally, I have my doubts, but here it is...

He said the injured giraffe tried numerous times to get up, but with the broken leg it was pretty much immobile. Then, he said, it lifted its head up really high, and smashed it down hard on the ground. Again and again it lifted its head high, then brought it smashing back down on the ground. Until eventually it died.

The guy watching it was adamant that the giraffe was NOT trying to get up - as he had already seen it try to do that for a while - and said it clearly looked as though it was trying to kill itself.

Did anyone else see this incident, or hear anything about it? Or have you heard anything similar to this?

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Jeff
Last edited by jeffgordon on Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

macktheknife

Re: The giraffe that 'committed suicide'

Unread postby macktheknife » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:09 am

I was reading on another website some stories about animals that "committed suicide" including a giraffe at a Paris zoo that killed itself by hitting it's head repeatedly against the wall of its enclosure after acting "strangely" for a few days.
I've never seen anything happen of this sort and don't know of anyone who has, if it indeed does happen, so let's hope someone else can shed more light on the matter.

Elsa

Unread postby Elsa » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:40 pm

Have never heard of this type of behaviour before, certainly very interesting and thought provoking.
I have witnessed Giraffe fighting with the head and neck swinging, possibly the one head swing missed the neck and collected the leg of the opponent breaking it in the process. :?
Always something new to learn with animal behaviour.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 11th Feb - 8th March 2016

Malealea

Unread postby Malealea » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:55 pm

I don´t think the Giraffe plan to kill himself. What i can imagine that Giraffe got mad because of pain. Breaking bones is alwys painfull. I heard Stories where dogs bite themselfes if they have pain. Maybe that could be the clue...........

But that does not explain, why the Giraff in the Zoo of Paris behave like that..... very myterious
life is Game, you rather play or flee. I chose to play the Game.

Imberbe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Imberbe » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:08 pm

It is common for giraffe to hit low while fighting. I have seen it quite a few times. They will go for the legs. Strangely enough, they never kick their opponents. I think the idea is to wear out the opponent, not to injure it. Though injuries such as this one do occur.

I very much doubt the explanation given regarding the death of the giraffe. It is someones interpretation, not necessarily related to facts. A desperate giraffe trying to get up could possibly injure himself in such a way.
Last edited by Imberbe on Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Return to “Mammals”