Skip to Content

Marakele: ADVICE

Golden Gate, Mapungubwe, Marakele
Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:17 pm

Hi all,

Do they allow caravans and can you get to the campsite easily towing the caravan.

Thanks,
BB
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

In a world of grey, be RED

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bush Baptist » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:46 pm

Imberbe wrote:YES AND YES!

There are a beautiful campsite which is in easy reach.

The campsite (Bontle) is about 1 km. from the reception. There are a tarred road all the way to Marakele. The road from reception to Bontle is gravel, but is kept in a good condition. Should you have lots of rain, it might be a little tricky, but you should not have any problems.
:wink:

Ta, my dad will be pleased.

BB
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

In a world of grey, be RED

Dominoel

Marakele with children?!

Unread post by Dominoel » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:19 pm

Hi there, I would like to know, whether children are alowed in the park and if so, which is the minimum age.
If alowed, did anybody already travel with children here? Please let me know your experience. Thanx.

naomi c
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by naomi c » Tue May 09, 2006 1:49 pm

There is no age restriction on children when visiting Marakele. My daughter was just starting school when we first visited Marakele - then stayed in the tented camp that has since been closed. All subsequent visits we camped. Just remember that all the camps are unfenced and that there are no shops or swimmingpools.

Imberbe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Imberbe » Tue May 09, 2006 11:17 pm

We have been there lots of times with children of all ages. Once with about 40 children! They really enjoyed the stay!

And yes, the camps are not fenced, so keep an eye on your children, and warn them that the animals are not tame, and must not be approached!
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

"Wilderness cannot be conquered, it becomes part of you and enriches your soul."

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

Imberbe

Unread post by Imberbe » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:14 am

:lol:

You need to be quite awake! (and have a good torch)

I once notest a strange sound coming from the other side of my car as I was returning from the ablutions at around 23:00. Luckily I stopped to check! It was a white rhino feeding next to my car on the other side! I spent a very quite three to four minutes next to my car before the rhino moved of.

Friends of ours was rudely awaken by the sound of rain hitting the side of their tent. They made a quick but stealthy exit to the other side, when they realised that it was in fact a rhino who saw no need to go to the ablution block, since the tent was nearer!
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

"Wilderness cannot be conquered, it becomes part of you and enriches your soul."

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

Trelawney

Bontle Camp at Marakele

Unread post by Trelawney » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:44 pm

Hi all,

Have just returned from 3 nights in our tent at the Bontle Camp at Marakele. Wow, what an amazing place, we were truely charmed.

We camped in a tent, drove in a sedan and were able to access the sand roads around Bontle as well as the tar road in the main section up to the view point without problem. Obviously it was not raining which made things easier.

I keep a website with pics for family overseas and have just posted some of Bontle / Marakele. Ignore the people ones and check what a beautiful place Marakele is.

http://www.chezwallis.com/gallery/view_ ... 6-Marakele

Jeremy.

eladn

Sedan Accessibility to Bontle and Tlopi

Unread post by eladn » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:11 pm

Hi all,

I'm planning to visit Marakele in late May. I'm considering booking accommodations for either Tlopi Tented Camp or Bontle Camping Site, but since I will be coming with a normal sedan car, I was wondering whether Tlopi is accessible with a normal sedan car (from reading previous messages in the forum, I understood that Bontle is accessible by sedan - correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks,

Elad.

naomi c
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Sedan accessibility to Bontle and Thlopi

Unread post by naomi c » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:08 am

Bontle is definitely accessible by normal sedan. Thlopi also - you just won't be able to do the four-by-four route.

Karoo

Marakele Gate Times

Unread post by Karoo » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:15 pm

I visited Marakele Nat Park with a group of birders on 27/9/2006. As real birders, we started at 6:00 am and went to Marakele for hopefully good birding. Arriving at the gate the security officer told us that the gate will only open at 07:30. Now we had to stand around for an hour which we could spend birding.

I can't understand why someone has to wait till the office open before entry is permitted. Why can't the sec officer not let you in with a permit and you have to return to same gate, so then you can pay before leaving. There is no way of leaving the park than through the main gate.

Perhaps someone in Sanparks or the Park Manager can explain to us the reason for it. [/b]

Toddelelfe
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Toddelelfe » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:26 am

:D rules are made, to kept nin the rules :lol: sorry, i have no better words. But we all have rto stay at the rules and this belongs to birders!
No mission on the way :( :wall: :oops: :bmp:

2016 TR from KNP

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:55 pm

This is the normal time the gate opens....
Day Visitors
Entrance from 07:30 to 16:00.

You can find that here.
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

DuQues
Honorary Virtual Ranger
Honorary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DuQues » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:14 pm

You could also sleep over in the park, in Tlopi Tented Camp or Bontle Camping Site. Then you are allowed out a lot earlier (I think). Kruger opens it's camp gates an hour before the entry gates open...
Not posting much here anymore, but the photo's you can follow here There is plenty there.

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c

JoelR
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by JoelR » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:42 pm

Hello ruthwillemse,

I have forwarded your question to Charles Trennery, Marakele's People & Conservation Officer. He says:

,,Parents with very young children visit Marakele regularly. Parents have to just supervise their children well and not allow them to go walking alone anywhere. There is currently no swimming pool at Marakele. Unfortunately no children under the age of 6 may go on guided game drives and no children under the age of 12 may go on guided walks.''

Hope this helps!

JoelR

gindt

Unread post by gindt » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:17 pm

Hello Ruthwillemse
I am French, and I visited Marakele 3 years ago (July 2003) with my family. My kids were at that time between 2 and a half and 9. Marakele has actually two parts : one includind a large campsite (Bontle) and every kind of facilities , just next to the entrance. The second, where we spent two nights, is a bit further. Our accomodation was in lovely huts , I didn't read about on SANP Website (they only talk about Tlopi). Those huts were in same part of the park than Tlopi. The kids could walk inside the place, under the parents supervision. Therefore, I think there is no problem to visit Marakele with a very young kids, especially in Bontle campsite but even in the larger park.

Nicolas

Return to “Northern Parks”