Skip to Content

Food/MenusCampfire cooking info

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Bushbuddies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Campfire cooking.

Unread post by Bushbuddies » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:46 am

I'm also a "planner" - and luckily my SO also a "list-person" - so it works well for us. Just love sitting and planning menus, drawing up lists to buy - it's part of the excitement of planning a trip!

In KNP - we love alternating rusks and tea with eggs, bacon, mushrooms, onions, sausages and juice - breakfasts at picnic spots (in the "skottelskaar"). :thumbs_up:

For lunch we snack on something or support the local restaurants...

Dinner is always a braai with some meat from home. In cold winter nights - I like boiling some potatoes and mielies in one pot (less dishes), and a salad. For warmer weather - I make a potato salad at home, take it with and a fresh green salad, sometimes sandwiches on the open fire (braaibroodjies) and voila!

I'm hungry now...
:dance: First South to North KNP trip booked! :dance:
10-11 June 2017 - Lower Sabie
12-14 June 2017 - Talamati
15-17 June 2017 - Olifants
18-20 June 2017 - Mopani
21-22 June 2017 - Punda Maria
22-23 June 2017 - Pafuri Border Camp

wildtuinmal

Unread post by wildtuinmal » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:07 pm

We are also planners. One of our favourite meals are rumpsteak on the fire, mcain chips cooked in oil on the fire in the driepoot black pot with a selfmade muchroom sauce to go on the steak and spur sauce for the chips it is a quick and easy meal.
6 Dec 2013 - Tambotie
7 - 13 Dec 2013 - Satara

billyf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by billyf » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:59 pm

We are not serious planners - as we have found that we plan meals, then change our minds when in the park, and end up bringing food back home. As we tend to go for quite a long time (2-3 weeks) we will pack lots of condiments, marinade sauces etc, and veggies like butternut, potatoes and onions that will keep. Take along meat for the first 4 days. Always a tin or two of Bully beef as a standby. But we "raid" the park shops, and if they have any interesting meat for braais, we will buy some. As we are only 2, the price difference is nothing compared to the fuel bill to get there in the first instance.

Breakfast either a skottel brekkie or left-overs from last night's braai, lunch is whatever is available, always cold, and evenings a proper braai (wth enough for tomorrow's breakfast). A couple of evenings will be a potjie, and at least one evening bully beef potjie.

Sorrry, all the above is for KTP, not Kruger. :thumbs_up:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

Scouter
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Scouter » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:35 am

I too am an avid planner and list maker - usually start months in advance of any camping holiday - honestly, I get so excited about the planning that its a huge part of going on holiday.

We usually braai ( lots of pork fillets marinaded in honey and soy sauce - great for sarmies the next day if there's any left) and make at least a couple of stews (chicken fillets, soft shin or goulash) in the Dutchie. We always take 2 Dutch ovens - one for the meal and the other for a beer bread or applecrumble or bread and butter pudding - yum ... If I don't make a bread to go with the Dutchie I put a pot of wheat (stampkoring) on the gas to cook.
We can do no great things, only small things with great love. ~Mother Teresa

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Bushbuddies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bushbuddies » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:57 am

Any ideas for some warm desserts one can make on a winter evening in the bush? We usually stay in chalet's - and stovetops (no oven's) is what I have to work with...
:dance: First South to North KNP trip booked! :dance:
10-11 June 2017 - Lower Sabie
12-14 June 2017 - Talamati
15-17 June 2017 - Olifants
18-20 June 2017 - Mopani
21-22 June 2017 - Punda Maria
22-23 June 2017 - Pafuri Border Camp

Tieroog

Unread post by Tieroog » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:50 am

Hi Bushbuddies

The following is always a winner in winter. I have not yet made it in the Park, but it is easy enough so I am sure it wont be a problem. It is called Vrystaat Poeding:

Dough:
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter (not margerine)
3 cups cake flour
pinch of salt
3 teaspoons bicarb of soda
1 cup of milk
2 BIG dessert spoons apricot jam
1 small teaspoon ground ginger

Mix soft butter and sugar together. Add sifted flour and salt. Mix bicarb into the milk and then add to flour mixture. Add jam and ginger and mix. Scoop
spoonsful of dough into the boiling syrup (see below). Turn down the heat so that it just simmers. Cook sloooowly together for about 60 minutes or maybe a little more. Serve with Ultramel or fresh cream if you can get hold of some inthe Park.

Syrup:
5 cups of water
2 cups of sugar
Boil the water and sugar together in a large pot.

Enjoy and be ready to make it again SOON as your family will defenately ask you to do so

:)
Satara: 10 - 22 August

:)

moggiedog
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by moggiedog » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:41 am

Not a huge planner - normally just throw odds and sods into the freezer and then take out in the mornings what is easiest to reach.
What I do try and do though - at least once - is a roast fillet, roast potats and vegies on the braai - a full "Sunday Lunch" if you like.
When it comes to puddings - the lazy way - Amarula or iceream and fruit do just fine (even in winter).
Breakfast is normally brunch - as nothing tastes better than bacon and eggs done out in the open!
Always take one ready cooked meal for the lazy days when I just want to watch the flames dance rather than let them burn down to coals.
Not huge into food - and looking forward to the day when a pill can be popped instead of having to cook!
A Conundrum before Tankwa

SAY NO TO HOTEL DEVELOPMENT IN KRUGER !

Scouter
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: What is on your Kruger menu?

Unread post by Scouter » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:30 pm

Hi Binkieloo - hope I can help a bit. Been making this bread for ages and have been involved in Scouting for ever and this is the bread we always make when camping with the scouts as well as on family holidays ...
I use 500g SR flour
340ml beer OR 500ml buttermilk - this is because the scouts aren't allowed to have beer :twisted: and it works well too
1 packet white onion soup powder
good pinch salt
then I add about a cup of grated cheese
good sprinkling of Ina Paarmans Garlic and Herb seasoning
and sometimes a very finely chopped small onion or some garlic (or both)
Mix all the dry stuff together then add the beer/buttermilk - I normally find the mix a bit too dry so I add some milk if using buttermilk or else I rinse out the beerbottle with about 1/4 cup of water ( or some more beer if there's one open and you can wrestle it out of the SO's fist :lol: ) Mixture should be quite soft and not too stiff. We use a flat bottomed Dutch oven black pot but have found the bread works best if you put it in a well greased round caketin first - about 8" or 20cm one - ours is old and got a few dings and rather bent out of shape a bit but we take it everywhere with us - top with some more grated cheese and leave to rise for about 20 to 30 min. I use a small round cake rack (from Clicks) in the bottom of the Dutchie or you can use a few small stones or even beerbottle caps just to raise the caketin off the bottom of the pot - causes less cremating of the bottom if you aren't used to the temp of the fire. Then onto a bed of coals with about 7 or 8 coals on top and it takes a good 50 to 60 min to bake depending on how hot your fire is. Take the lid off after half an hour and have a check to see its not too hot and then bung a sharp knife in after 50 min to check if its still gooey inside or not. Take tin out and leave to cool for about 10 min or so before you try and remove it and then leave it for another 15 to 20 min to cool down ( if you can resist it) before you cut it otherwise it just bungs up the knife and makes a huge mess and doesn't cut properly...

Hope this helps - you can also do it in the oven at home at 180 C. Just keep practising - it takes a few attempts to perfect it but when you do there's nothing like it :thumbs_up:

Cheers Gill

Some people come into our lives, leave footprints on our hearts and we are never the same ...

Tracylee

Unread post by Tracylee » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:25 am

That sounde delicious Scouter - I think I am going to try it at the next braai - too long until the next Kruger trip...

Scouter
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Scouter » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:51 am

:D Hope it works well for you Tracylee...I make this so often in the oven as well to go with a nice bowl of soup in the winter - nothing beats a hot savoury loaf of bread fresh from the oven! I sometimes put it in a loaf tin if I do it in the oven so you get a "normal" shaped loaf but the round tin fits better into the Dutchie.

Enjoy!

Mfezi
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mfezi » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:38 am

Anything that is easy to make and not having to do a lot of dishes afterwards (while on holiday). So hotdogs, frozen foods like pies and pancakes, tinned food, 2 min noodles etc are on my menu. Flavoured banana milk is used to keep my throat wet and then ice cream. I must have ice cream, otherwise I am not on holiday :lol:

annie R

Unread post by annie R » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:30 pm

For those days when we don't feel like braaiing, I always take a stand-up pouch of Denny Korma sauce. Chop and fry an onion, add sliced chicken breast, pour the sauce over and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Simply add basmati rice. It's a really easy way to have a scrummy 'gourmet' meal redolent with coriander, ginger, garlic and coconut. Yum! (There are lots of other Denny sauces to try, but this one is by far our favourite.)

Mrs P

Unread post by Mrs P » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:23 pm

Here is a beer bread recipe for you guys:

500g self raising flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 beer (any kind as long as you can pry it out of your SO's hands)

Mix all together - it is very sticky.

Variations:
:P Cheese and bacon : 1 cup grated cheese and 1 pkt cooked bacon chopped into pieces
:P Feta and bacon : 1/2 cup feta crumbled and 1 pkt cooked bacon chopped into pieces
:P Feta and Spinach : 1/2 cup feta crumbled and shredded raw spinach
:P Sweetcorn : just add 1 tin sweetcorn to the mix

Bake in your oven @ 180deg for about 30 - 40 min or do in a broodpot on the fire. Be careful not to have the coals too hot as it will burn. I have just bought one of those rectangular broodpots that you put a baking tin into so I will let you know how it goes on our next camping trip.

Enjoy - it is a firm fav with our friends and the kids
2014 - Karoo National Park 14 - 18 Dec; Motswedi 18 - 22 Dec; Kalahari 23 Dec - 8 Jan.

Sneeugans

Unread post by Sneeugans » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:56 pm

Concerning potbrood, I have recently bought a pot contraption that I think has huge potential for outdoor living. Not having tried it out, I can only speculate on its worth. It is a 3 piece compact bread cooker consisting of a base on supports, on it sits the bread pan for either one loaf, or the one I bought, for 4 mini loaves of 130mm x 70mm each. On top is the lid arrangement with space for charcoal. It is cleverly designed to accommodate 20 brickets of charcoal under, around and on top.The whole thing slides together and fits in a box with the lettering "MINI BREAD OVEN. 20 brikkets & 4x125gr. bread dough & 35 minutes baking time. I paid about R300 for it.
Sneeugans

Fatcat

Menu Items

Unread post by Fatcat » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:25 pm

Does anyone have different recipes or a type of menu for dinners in the bush to be made on open fires? We are getting tired of : Spare ribs, potato salad & garlic bread;Lamb chops & couscous; boerewors, baked beans & pap. Just can't seem to think of anything else exiting ? ALSO we have a September trip coming up in Skukuza with two vegatarians, also no wheat !! Any ideas people ??? :huh:
15 to 21 Dec 2016 - Bergendal
22 to 27 Apr 2017 - Lower Sabie
24 to 30 Sep 2017 - Satara

Return to “Kruger National Park”