Skip to Content

Cape clawless otter

Find, identify and discuss the animals of all the SANParks
Jonathan D

Re: Cape clawless otter

Unread post by Jonathan D » Thu May 20, 2010 2:24 pm

I also had the privlage of watching a otter in the kruger by hippo pools. and he was also bothering a croc. he kept sneaking up behind and nipping his tail, and then diving out of the way before the croc got him. he then started circling the croc just out of his reach as if to tease him. the croc eventually moved off. he gave us all a good laugh. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :) :) :) :) :) :D
Kruger is the closest place to heaven.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:18 am

We saw this chap in the Crocodile River in front of Ngwenya in late May this year.
It was initially out the water and frolicking around on the rocks, but with the camera inside we just stood and gawked and only later ran for the camera. :slap:
Unfortunately in all the excitement the pic is not great quality. :(

ImageLarge

otterspotter

Unread post by otterspotter » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:23 pm

Hi Everyone
Probably the easiest place to see CCO's is at Storms River. We had a night there just a few weeks ago and was able to watch three otters for quite a while. Crept quite close and got a few photographs

Of course the thing to do is to look for them around the restaurant area about half an hour before the sun rises

In the sea their main food is crayfish followed by crabs and slow moving fish, while in the rivers crabs mostly followed by fish

My best photographs however have not been in a national park however.

Check out Africa Geographic Feb 2010 edition

But if there was any place to get good shots then Storms must be it
I will see if I can post later

otterspotter

Unread post by otterspotter » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:49 pm

Here are two of the three otters I saw at Storms River

otterspotter

Unread post by otterspotter » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:16 pm

Well its official guys, at the moment its not so hard to see CC otter in Kruger. Sorry need to drop down the mega tick status a little. The is an otter or possibly two that is currently regularly sited an Nkuhlu. The tea room being so close to the river. I have just returned from my Kruger trip and the otter was sighted every day fishing in the morning :dance: . Generally my advice is go there for breakfast around ten and focus your binocs downstream (east) Hopefully you will see them

However a trial to photo as the light is never right. However I will post in the near future. I was able to get a few shots

Safariman

Unread post by Safariman » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:25 am

My first & only CCO sighting in KNP (or anywhere else for that matter) was on my last trip in August 2009. I was on the H12 bridge over the Sabie when I noticed a whole agglomeration of water birds crowding up to some reeds in one of the channels under the bridge.

Next thing I knew, two CCO swam out of the reeds & cruised off down the river, darting under water occasionally, before disappearing round a bend in the direction of LS. The birds were eagerly following them & snapping up the creatures which were fleeing from the path of the CCO's.

Has any one else heard or seen this behaviour by birds? If I remember correctly there were Goliath Heron, Grey Heron, Saddle-bill Stork, Wooly-necked Stork, Great White Egret, Lesser Egret, Yellow-billed Egret & Squacco Heron. I have some pics somewhere, not great, but you can definitely recognose the CCO's for what they are even though they are only showing their head & the top of their backs as they swim away downriver. A lifer for me & one of the highlights of that trip. :dance:

There must have been 20-30 cars on the bridge over that time & not one stopped to see what I had spotted! :wall:

I might try dig the pics out sometime in the next few days.
Safariman
Let Nature get close to you

Nannie

Unread post by Nannie » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:44 pm

Today at the bridge over the Sabie river,down from L.S. My first in KNP.

leachy
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by leachy » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:56 pm

:| :| :| :|

these two were seen from the bridge over the levhuvhu in july of this year.

they were chased out of the river by a croc and then both stood on the bank and it looked as though they were taunting the croc from the river bank
the future is not what it used to be

Heksie
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Small creatures/insects (2014)

Unread post by Heksie » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:57 pm

Helo everyone!

Me and me mum went to the Kruger the weekend of the 24th of Feb and when you enter the Phabeni gate, on the S1 just after that dam turn off (can't remember the name, sorry :redface: ) there is a small river and by chance I had my first CCO sighting! :dance: :dance: :dance:
Pic not of that good quality... :slap:

It will be a sighting that I will never forget! :dance: :dance: :dance:
18-23 March Sabie Park

8 -11 July Tsendze
12-15 July Satara

30 Sept-4 Oct Lower Sabie

27 Dec-7 Jan Satara

DotDan
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DotDan » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:51 am

My first ever sighting of otters in the Kruger. They are very common around the highveld pans and dams, but to see one in Kruger was very sepcial.

IMG_8920 by DvdBergh, on Flickr

DotDan
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by DotDan » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:29 am

We saw them in the Sabie river close to Nkhulu. I see most sightings of them in Kruger are around this spot. Glad the floods didn't wash them away.

peterpiper
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by peterpiper » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:44 pm

I saw this Cape Clawless otter from the Lower Sabie bridge this year in September.
In the pic it is eating a crab. It was there one afternoon late (not good for pics) and then again very early the next morning.
I waited for him :)

Home is where you hang your @

garrow

Re: Cape Clawless Otter

Unread post by garrow » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:29 pm

Saw 2 Cape Clawless Otters sitting on a rock on high level bridge at Sabie River-Sand River confluence.
They eventually got into the water and swam around from the one side of the bridge to the other side on a few occasions before disappearing.
I was parked right at the side of the bridge so got some nice visuals of these otters.
Unfortunately I did not have a camera to take photos. Have since purchased myself 2 decent cameras and one telephoto lens so that I do not slip up on an opportunity like that again

ruud

Unread post by ruud » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:37 pm

During our last visit, September last year, we were in Lower Sabie and on one moment it was very busy on the bridge. So we stopped and looked very carefully.... but we couldn't find out what everybody was looking at.
So we asked and yes it was a clawless otter in the reed at the east side of the bridge. As far as we could see the otter was eating a very young croc. (other people told us). But it was just our first sighting of an otter.

Massimo

Unread post by Massimo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:15 am

I must say I was blessed when I was in Kruger this past holiday. Having seen nothing in the morning I decided to head over the bridge at Lower Sabie and see if I have any luck on the bridge. As I reached the bridge I witnessed some reeds moving and so I kept watching it then BOOM!! a CAPE CLAWLESS OTTER! :dance: :dance: tick on the wish list !! Here are some of the pictures that I managed to capture of this amazing creature. Will do a full blog on my website in the coming week :)

:cam: © Massimo Da Silva. Hope you enjoy :thumbs_up:

Canon 5D MK III :) :), Canon 7D , Canon 450D | Canon 400 F5.6 L | Canon 70-200 F2.8 L IS|Sigma 10-200 EX DG OS F4-5.6 & goodies :)
Runner up wildlife photographer of the year 2012-sunday times & winner-Canon S.A. reflection category

Return to “Mammals”