Skip to Content

Game trail cameras

Discuss and share your wildlife photography, filming and equipment
Stark
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Game trail cameras

Unread post by Stark » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:37 pm

I'm not a hunter anymore (and was a poor one back in the day), but I was thinking about purchasing a game trail camera so I could see what wildlife wanders around our close-to-wilderness neighborhood after dark. Does anyone have any experience with these types of cameras? It looks like the IR types shoot lesser-quality night shots, but flash types can startle the photo subject.

I suppose the use of trail cameras in Kruger would be limited to what passes by your accommodation while you're away, though that might be fun if you're near the fence. :)

http://www.moultriefeeders.com/catalog. ... gamecamera
"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." West African Proverb

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Game trail cameras

Unread post by Josh of the Bushveld » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:31 pm

I personally don't have any experience with this. I have been recently researching the subject of tethered camera control, i.e. using a camera connected to a computer, controlled by the computer. E.g. my camera doesn't have a time-lapse function built in, but this could be achieved by controlling it from a computer. I'm not sure if this type of system could be motion-sensitive.

I can get a preliminary paper on some leopard research being done in a private reserve I go to. The cameras used are motion sensitive, and set up specifically to shoot leopard. PM me if you want more details.

You could also potentially set up a solution using a webcam and some software, though the image clarity from a webcam may not be wonderful. This may even be the easiest and cheapest solution, if you want to set it up in a window etc.

There's also a product called Zoneminder which I had a very brief encounter with a few years ago. Its built for webcam-based CCTV systems (I think), but it could work for this quite nicely too.

Good luck!
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

NicoleCT

Motion Sensor Camera

Unread post by NicoleCT » Sun May 04, 2014 8:55 pm

Hi

I want to find out more about motion sensor cameras, I think that's what they are called ?

Have never seen one and have no idea how they work. How much do they cost, how big are they, do they only work at night ? (I believe most people use them to record whats out and about while asleep at night ?), any particular one that can be recommended ?

(Could not find topic on this but maybe I missed it.)

Thanks for any info.

Nicole

NJVermaak

Re: Motion Sensor Camera

Unread post by NJVermaak » Mon May 05, 2014 8:32 am

Hi Nicole,

We use quite a few of them on our game farm;

They have a motion censor which picks up when something walks past it, the sensitivity can also be adjusted depending on the model, some of them takes HD video and photos, but you have to choose which option beforehand.

They work during the day and at night, at night you get black and white pics, the camera uses infrared and not a flash.

They are about 200mm high and 120mm wide, and are camoflaged to blend in with the surroundings(remember where you place these), each camera comes with a strap so that you can tie it to a tree or pole, all data is then recorded onto an SD Card, and pics/video can be viewed on your PC or on a controller you get with, depending on the model. Most of these use standard AA batteries, you even get models with a small solar panel and rechargeable. Some even have a slot for a sim card that can MMS photos to your phone as they are taken.

Most hunting and outdoor shops stock these, they can cost anything from R500 - R4000 depending on what quality you buy.
NJ Vermaak
___________________________________________________________________________________________

NO HOTELS IN KNP

Marakele - Tlopi Tented Camp 22-27 December 2014
KNP - Tamboti 7-9 January 2015

Imax
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Motion Sensor Camera

Unread post by Imax » Mon May 05, 2014 2:41 pm

If you need one for covert surveilance where humans are involved better get one with black IR.

There are three tipes of illumination with cam traps - normal infra red where one can see the red glow of the LED's, Black out IR where the LEDs are covered by a black lens and the Cam is totally invisible when taking a photo, or those with an incadencent flash, as you get on a normal camera, and this will give you colour photos at night.

I PM'd you a link where you can have a good comparison of the different models.

Return to “Wildlife Photography Enthusiasts”