Weather in Kruger

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park

Moderators: ritad, RosemaryH, lion queen, Crested Val

richardharris
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by richardharris »

It has been fascinating to visit KNP over the last several years and to see this cycle in action.
We first visited in 1988 which was at the end of a wet period.
I don't think I have ever seen the park quite like it was then again.

The following several years went through a really bad dry cycle, with many animals being lost to the drought.
I still don't particularly enjoy visiting in the winter -
I much prefer to see the Kruger alive, even if game viewing becomes more difficult.

This dry spell was probably longer than the 7-8 years - but ended at the end of the 1990s - in particular with the amazing events of summer 2000.

We do seem to be entering a dry period again, rather earlier than expected. But then again, weather is changing all over the world.
Who knows what effect that will have on the climate of South Africa; in the UK there are definitely changes very apparent now.

Richard
Rooies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Rooies »

I agree that lesser vegetation means easier game spotting. Dought is not something strange to Kruger. I think the average rainfall for the Satara area is around 350-400m per year and the animals have adapted over the ages to drought conditions(otherwise they would have moved to the tropics or die out as a species) But no matter whether it is dry or wet, the magic starts when you enter an entrance gate.
Imberbe
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Imberbe »

February = summer. Also peak rainfall and heat.

The bush tends to be much thicker in the summer, especially the grasses, which can influence the ease with which you can see animals. But then again the bush is so beautiful at those times. During the winter time the bush is at its driest, and it tends to be easier to see animals.

But you will always see animals, so there is actually no bad time to visit!
:dance:
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

"Wilderness cannot be conquered, it becomes part of you and enriches your soul." - Louis

The ultimate wilderness experience! Visit www.thekrugertrail.com
Elsa

Unread post by Elsa »

Hi reneinsa,

September to my mind is a tricky month, being early Spring, you can get a mix of seasonal weather.
Especially camping when one is more exposed to the elements so to speak.
I would take lots of warm clothing just in case, rather be safe than sorry.
Enjoy. :D
Take time each day to be with nature
Maargat G
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Rain in Satara Area

Unread post by Maargat G »

Is there a new river system arouns Satara?? :D

Look like a few good mm fell there or dont you guys think so? So glad it rained!!
Ratpack Member.

The currents that shape our lives, flow from the attitudes we nurture everyday!
Marais

Unread post by Marais »

Its amazing to see how the landscape changed around Orpen while the webcam was down! As couple of days' rain and there is alot of green!

Oct 31:

Today:
ingrid1968

Unread post by ingrid1968 »

:big_eyes: :big_eyes: Wow, I cannot believe my eyes! :big_eyes: :big_eyes:

Since it's been so wet, I haven't been on the webcams as much (I suppose the animals are finding water everywhere) - but have you seen how the grass has grown?!?!

:lol: :P 8) :D :) :tongue:

On 5 November:

The 17th November:

And today, just T H R E E D A Y S later:

:dance: :clap: :pray:

Wille Krugertuin - hier kom ons!!
Don't answer a fool with his own stupidity or you'll be like him. Answer a fool with his own stupidity or he'll think he's wise.
Proverbs 26:4-5.
DinkyBird

Re: Weather in Kruger

Unread post by DinkyBird »

Lower Sabie area after a good soaking two week ago. I would imagine by now it is lovely and green:

Olifants area - so lush and one needs to see the green to believe it!! Stunning!

Olifants River - Nov 2008

Letaba River - Nov 2008

- Dalene
ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by ndloti »

Herewith preliminary figures in mm , kindly furnished by Louise Goosen of scientific services in Skukuza, mostly for November (some stations November figures appear to be incomplete)

Berg & Dal 139,6
Bushman Trail 28,4 (Oct)
Houtboschrand 105.8 northern end of S39 close to H1-4
Kingfisherspruit 115,3 near to Orpen
Croc Bridge 6,6 (Oct)
Letaba 125,0
Mahlangeni 60,1 Letaba river enters KNP
Malelane 140,2
Olifants 100,8
Lower Sabie 9,0 (Oct)
Skukuza 160,0
Stolznek 114,9 north of Wolhuter trail
Talamati 86,7
Tshokwane 10,7 (Oct)

Figures older than Oct / no rainfall measured / no figures available :

Shingwedzi 8,0 (unofficial)
Punda 12,0 (unofficial)
Pretoriuskop,Wolhuter trail ,Satara,Olifants trail,Nhlangulene,Nwanedzi,Woodlands
(near Bateleur),Mooiplaas,Vlakteplaas (near Sirheni),Giriyondo,
Shangoni(east of Bateleur),Wenela(Pafuri)
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.
DinkyBird

Re: Rainfall in Kruger

Unread post by DinkyBird »

Here is the rainfall for Malelane for Dec 2008

- Dalene
Imberbe
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Imberbe »

Have you guys seen this: WEATHER IN SANPARKS
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

"Wilderness cannot be conquered, it becomes part of you and enriches your soul." - Louis

The ultimate wilderness experience! Visit www.thekrugertrail.com
Mads
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mads »

Apparently the Southern part of Kruger is very wet. Apparently areas between Skukuza and Tshokwane measured 95 mm yesterday in an hour.

Martie (a guide at Lower Sabie) send me this photos from Lower Sabie. this is the bridge in front of camp!

"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree." Martin Luther
Henk
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

WWW World-Wide-Weather

Unread post by Henk »

I found a very interesting Norwegian website which gives you a weather forecast per hour for any place in the world. Just type in Onder-Sabie or Satara and see what you get. If can be the names of farms and railway sidings to.
http://www.yr.no
Last edited by Henk on Tue May 05, 2009 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
ndloti
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Long Range Forecast

Unread post by ndloti »

Impossible to make a long term forecast , the rainfall can be very isolated and scattered , any season can produce a fraction of the yearly long term average rainfall .
In fact certain areas , one in mind is an area north of Satara , which had very little rainfall after February with very little grass , whereas not 20 km to the south it was lush and green till recently .
It is known that South Africas weather patterns are unique and likewise rainfall is very difficult to predict .
This is owing to the cold sea current from the antarctica on our western coastline conflicting with the warm sea current originating from the tropics on the eastern coastline .
To complicate this , there is a high altitude central plateau on which the larger part of SA is situated which usually keeps the cold and warm air masses apart , often preventing mixing of the cold and warm air masses and thus also often preventing rainfall , and making rainfall prediction most difficult .
Last edited by ndloti on Tue May 19, 2009 10:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
KNP is sacred. I am opposed to the modernisation of Kruger and from the depths of my soul long for the Kruger of yesteryear! 1000+km on foot in KNP incl 56 wild trails.200+ nights in the wildernessndloti-indigenous name for serval.
michaelpr

Very cold in Kruger?!

Unread post by michaelpr »

Hi,
I saw yesterday on the internet that it is 12 C in Skukuza! Is this true? I have never seen it that cold! :big_eyes: