Skip to Content

Snake: Vine snake (Bird snake)

Find, identify & discuss the marine species of SANParks
Imberbe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Identification help: Snakes

Unread post by Imberbe » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:12 pm

It is a snake that keeps to bushes and trees. Preys mostly on lizards and frogs. Also takes other snakes and birds.

Its venom is hemotoxic, causing the blood to stop clotting, and the victim to die because of severe bleeding. The bite is dangerous, there is no anti-venom available, but few human fatalities are known. This is mainly due to the fact that this snake avoids humans, and bites are extremely rare. Standard snake bite first-aid procedures should be followed.

Its a beautiful snake, excellent photo Kamadejo! :thumbs_up:
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Ernest J
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Ernest J » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:37 pm

I agree it appears to be a Southern Vine Snake Highly Venomous (Haemotoxic) same as Boom Slang but more potent no anti venom available other names Twig snake Bird snake

Ernest (Mellory SO)
“Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do.”

fooble

Unread post by fooble » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:24 pm

Elsa wrote:Could someone please confirm if this snake, seen in Kruger in June this year is a Vine or Southern Bird Snake which my limited Reptile book seems to lump together.
It wasn't very active and sat like this for ages, was very nearly squashed by a car before slithering off into the grass.

ImageLarge

ImageLarge

Spot on Thelotornis capensis or Southern Vine/Twig/Bird Snake.
There are actually two species also the Eastern Vine snake Thelotornis mossambicanus but T.mossambicanus occours more Mozambique and little more North.

They will often sit dead still to avoid detection but normally this would be in the tree's or bushes and it works really well.

Bennievis
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bennievis » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:46 pm

Not Sanparks, but at home. I was emptying the pool basket when I heard a 'thud' next to me and this is what I saw, a twig snake (?) Fell out of a tree, almost on top of me.

Twig snake? (voëlslang)

RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by RosemaryH » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:24 am

Twig snake/Vine snake it is Bennievis :big_eyes:
Take care around it.
Rose

Bennievis
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Snake: Vine snake (Bird snake)

Unread post by Bennievis » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:41 am

Following my previous post of a twig snake in my garden (which almost fell on top of me)
I spotted another a twig snake in my garden yesterday. I have two very energetic dogs, a German Shepherd and a Schnauzer who can easily reach speeds of about 100 mph when running and playing around outside, My worry is for the safety of the dogs (and of course my family's safety)

My question to the experts:
Are they aggressive snakes? Should I call a snake catcher to remove them next time I spot one?
With thanks :thumbs_up:

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)
FAC Member (2014)

Unread post by hilda » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:15 am

Any Snake experts to answer Bennievis' questions about the Vine Snake?

I googled this Snake Bennievis, maybe you could contact Louis van Niekerk on his facebook page to raise your concerns?

This snake has a very dangerous Heamotoxic venom. There are no antivenom availible for this snake. If bitten by this snake, the victim should get to a hospital as soon as possible. It uses this leathal venom to kill it's prey: Lizzards, Frogs, Birds and other Snakes.
Louis van Niekerk's facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=96621376042
"We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right." - Nelson Mandela

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2015)

Unread post by George_Brits » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:26 pm

Hi Bennievis

To answer your question regarding the aggressiveness of the vine snake...

This snake has a similar haemotoxic venom to the boomslang, but not as potent. It’s well camouflaged and seldom bites, and will puff up when threatened.

Remember that snakes are more scared of you than you are of them, and they will only bite when cornered or startled. The best weapon in your arsenal is education: Learn which snakes are dangerous and which aren’t, and stay calm in an emergency.

Also remember that a snake will not purposefully attack you. They lack true aggression and will only attack in self-defence. Also, there are no snakes that chase after people and snakes don’t move in pairs.

Hope this little bit of info helps!

Return to “Reptiles, Amphibians and Fish”