Skip to Content

Moving to SA, been to Kruger & Kgalagadi, which parks next?

Find information and FAQ's not related to the parks, like Health & Safety, 4x4 etc.
lisa

Moving to SA, been to Kruger & Kgalagadi, which parks next?

Unread post by lisa » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:16 am

DH and I are going to be moving to South Africa later this year and our intention is to try to see as much of the country as we can over the next four years. We have been to Kruger and Kgalagadi multiple times and love them both, but have never been to any of the other parks. Our priorities are wildlife viewing (including birds and all the little things), photography, and hiking. Which of the other parks in South Africa would you recommend we prioritize for a visit?

We have yet to purchase a vehicle but hope to purchase a 4x4.

cheetahlady
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Moving to SA, been to Kruger & Kgalagadi, which parks next?

Unread post by cheetahlady » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:55 am

You don't say where you will be based. Some parks are good for a long weekend (West Coast , Agulhas if Cape Town based). You could probably do Addo, Wildernis/Knysna area and maybe Mountain Zebra in one longer trip - would give you animals, birds and hiking in one holiday. Read through some of the trip reports of the smaller parks to get a good idea of what is available.
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better
Albert Einstein

KNP June 2017 Mopani, Shingwedzi, Letaba, Satara, Pretoriuskop, Berg-en-Dal

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:26 am

I wish you all of the best with your new move. :gflower:

I think many of us has a favorite Park, or Parks outside of KNP and KTP. I would strongly recommend Mount Zebra and Mapungubwe.

Both Parks are good birding spots and will give excellent landscapes. They are very different and quite unique.

Mount Zebra is what I call soul country. The atmosphere is beyond words. The Mount Zebra specialty is cheetah tracking, a memory that will stay with you forever.

Mapengubwe is an ancient country, filled with baobabs and lunar type rocks. It is a national heritage sight where you have an opportunity to visit Mapengubwe hill. Here you can see one of the oldest sites in Southern Africa where an ancient civilization lived and traded. Fascinating stuff.

I wish you happy travels.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

lion queen
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by lion queen » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:33 am

As MM said we all have favorites! :D

I'm pretty sure in the 4 years you'll have to make time to visit Namaqua in flower season. Depending on where you will be based you could incorporate West Coast during that same visit.

A visit to Augrabies to experience the place of big noise! Lovely hiking opportunities and stunning landscapes.

Don't forget about Mokala, lovely park to experience some of the more scares animals species.

So many places and in the end what will seem to little time :wink:

I do wish you a wonderful 4 year stay with amazing visits to each and every park!!
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough - Mae West

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:59 pm

Welcome Lisa!

I think all the parks, including the KNP and KTP, have their own charms. The main thing is to see each park as an individual and not to compare it with, say, Kruger.

If you are going to be based in Johannesburg or Pretoria, Mapungubwe and Marakele are both within easy reach. They are both wonderful and have nice accommodation or camping sites. Hiking on your own would not be an option, but walks with armed guides would be a possibility. Golden Gate is also not too far and, as far as I know, there are hiking trails that you can do on your own (no dangerous game).

Karoo and Mountain Zebra parks, in the Cape, are great and you could do a trip of a couple of weeks through that way. We did it a few years ago: Mokala, Karoo, Camdeboo, Addo, Mountain Zebra.

If you are going to be in Cape Town there are parks near there, but I'm not so au fait with them.

I hope you manage to see a lot while you are based here. Keep in touch with us here on the Forum - questions and trip reports!
Malelane 12th October 2016
Skukuza 16th October 2016
Lower Sabie 17th October 2016
Skukuza 2nd-5th March 2017
Satara 5th-8th March 2017
Tamboti 8th-11th March 2017

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2015)

Unread post by George_Brits » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:31 pm

Hi Lisa,

Compliments of 2016 to you and your family,

I have to agree with all the posts that our fellow forumites have said, it all depends on where you will be based, north or south. If you are looking for beautiful scenery, Golden Gate Highlands National Park is a must, the unique rock formations makes a trip to this Park worthwhile, and as indicated earlier, there's quite a few walking trails that leaves from either the main complex as well as the Glen Reenen restcamp. The view up in the mountains offers some unique photographic opportunities. While you visit, why not do a trip on horseback?

lisa

Unread post by lisa » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:44 pm

Thanks for all of the replies so far. We will be based in Hoedspruit but are happy to travel long distances as there is so much to see!

My husband also loves to snorkel. Are there any places in South Africa that have good snorkeling?

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:30 am

Most of the good snorling sites are along The Natal coast, which I cannot discuss on this site.

The Knysna and Wilderness area as well as the Storms river mouth are know to be good snorkeling venues. You could access these from the Wilderness Parks.

If you like adventure and a challenge in nature, why not think of doing the Otter trail in the Wilderness area? It is one of the most well known trails and certainly not for sissies.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Return to “Advice needed (Not Park Specific) ”