Skip to Content

Camping info/Advice & camping essentials

Find information and FAQ's not related to the parks, like Health & Safety, 4x4 etc.
MATTHYS

Re: Power on Campgrounds

Unread post by MATTHYS » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:00 pm

Some advice here Saguaro (welcpme to the forums :D ) and Foxy :thumbs_up:
aquila non capit muscas

Foxy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2016)

Unread post by Foxy » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:03 pm

viewtopic.php?style=2&f=74&t=16330

This is quite a comprehensive list of items people take. The adaptors (and extension cord) are mentioned. Hope it helps you.

Saguaro

Unread post by Saguaro » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:49 pm

Thank you Matthys and Foxy

So briefly browsing through the threads you linked, I understand that I need an adaptor but I should be able to buy it at Skukuza Camp in Kruger - which sounds good as this will be the first camping stop. I have little time now, but I will go deeper into your links tomorrow.

Thank you
Saguaro

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:25 am

Saquaro, a very warm welcome :gflower:

Be careful when you buy the adapter that it is not the caravan adapter. I have one very expensive blue caravan adapter doing nothing. :wall: :wall: :wall:

I do think that you should be able to get at the Sanparks shops. Outdoor Warehouse and Sportsmans Warehouse also sometimes stock them, but you do need to find a sales person who knows what you need.

Extra extension cord is always handy. It is a bit pricey to buy in Kruger. I have sometimes been lucky and found a place close to an electrical outlet, but it is not guaranteed.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:49 pm

Saquaro,

If you are going to camp, the best will be to get the blue caravan adapter. Its expensive and even more in SANPark's shops, but you will not be able to get any power at night to run lights without it. You can charge the camera / notebook from the kitchen area.

Can you maybe give us an idea where you will be staying. Kruger has the best layout in the campsites to cook and to get hot water, but you don't have that luxury at all NP.
Jan 2018: Next trip to KNP - Tamboti, Talamati, Maroela and Satara

isinkwe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by isinkwe » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:40 pm

Hi Saguaro

This is the adaptor you will need to plug into campsite electricity outlet
This first picture shows the part that plugs into the electric outlet at the campsite- the diameter and pin size are smaller than our standard plugs and outlets

This is the other side of the adaptor- where our standard plugs fit in

hope that is of some help to you

this is what our standard plugs look like

Isn't it just amazing how potatoes give us fries and vodka? :D The rest of the vegetables should get their act together :rtm:

Nimrod

Which camping freezer/fridge to buy?

Unread post by Nimrod » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:40 pm

Hi All

Going Camping in Addo in April for a week and thought , well I do camp a lot, so I think its time to buy a fridge/ freezer to keep meat fresh. Not keen on doing the fill up coolbag with ice every day.

I saw Outdoorwarehouse sell Waeco, Snowmaster and National Luna, and somebody mentioned Engel. So how do I choose? And what does everybody do? Do people buy the combo fridge and freezer or just one of the two?

Thanx

shfish

Re: Which camping freezer/fridge to buy?

Unread post by shfish » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:00 pm

Hi Nimrod
This subject has been extensively debated on other outdoor forums and no doubt, another long debate is going to start here!
I've just been through this whole process. You've got two options...absorption fridge/freezer or compressor type. The former are cheaper, allegedly not as efficient but often have the advantage of 3 way, ie, gas 12v or 220v. A compressor model will cost about 30% more than the absorption models and you will need a dual battery system in your car which will set you back another R4500. Because I'm inclined to settle in a camp site for at least 3 days, I decided to go for an absorption FREEZER from Zero(Cold Factor) which I set up on gas (if no 220v) and leave in peace.I've just been to Karoo in about 35 degrees and this unit FROZE contents. My intention is to freeze goodies in this unit and use a cooler box with ice out of the freezer as the fridge.
Good luck.

dakine08

Self Drive Camping/ Garden Route & Kruger

Unread post by dakine08 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:07 pm

My uncle and I are self driving the garden route and kruger. Is there a certain type of tent we should have (especially for Kruger) and what kind of camping gear? Is this something we should pack, or can we rent? We are going in July - I know it's chilly, so we want to be prepared. Any advice is appreciated!

George_Brits
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2015)

Re: Self Drive Camping/ Garden Route & Kruger

Unread post by George_Brits » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:14 pm

Hi Dakine08,

First of all, let me make use of the opportunity to welcome you to the SANParks forum!

There’s nothing quite like sitting around an open fire under the stars listening to the night sounds in the african bush.

Some of the best campsites in the country are to be found inside our SANParks, where visitors are well provided for in the form of clean ablutions, braai facilities and even, in many instances, power points.

In the Kruger National Park, the larger camps also provide coin-operated washing machines (a great boon for travellers) as well as outdoor kitchens equipped with hot plates and water boilers for convenience.

Among the best of the Kruger’s larger campsites are Punda Maria, Shingwedzi, Pretoriuskop and Letaba, while the smaller camping-only sites at Maroela, Balule and Tsendze offer a more rustic, wild experience without too many additional conveniences.

You don't have to use any specific type of tent, its up to you, I have seen tents and tents, of all different shapes and sizes, my advice is to choose the tent you will feel comfy in sleeping, its all depending on your preference whether you would like to stand in the tent, or crawl into the tent, each size tent has its pros and cons, I can recommend something like the Oztent RV4, stretchers, a sleeping bag with a cold rating of 0c, so you are still comfy and warm even if the temperatures drop to single digits. It will also be nice to have folding chairs, a folding table, a small gas stove and of course lightning in the shape of LED lanterns.

My suggestion would be to visit one of the outdoor retailers - Makro (Walmart), Outdoor Warehouse and Camping World for advice, prices and to stock up on these supplies.

There is a few places where you can rent camping equipment as it can be quite pricey to purchase camping items initially.

I hope this will help?

jleom

Tent Camping

Unread post by jleom » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:49 pm

I did a search on this but not too much came up to answer my question(s).

We will arrive in SA in a few weeks and will be tent camping except for the 4 nights in Cape Town.
We'll leave Cape Town and drive the Garden Route, Addo, Golden Gate Highlands and into Kruger for 9 nights.

We do a lot of camping here in the USA but wanted to check for some things that might be different there that would be good to know before we get there.

One question is how safe is it to leave our sleeping pad and bags (NO Food items) in the tent when we are out and about?
Humans and animals (monkeys)?

Anything else you could share to help make sure this is a great trip?

Thank you,

Leo

leervis
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Tent Camping

Unread post by leervis » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:23 am

Hi Leo, welcome to the forum. From the itinerary you list I am assuming that all your camping will be done in SanParks camps, and if this is so, my experience is that your stuff is safe in your tent while you are out and about. There is a saying, "Campers don't steal from campers" and I have found this to be true. You mention "a few weeks" and if this means September - early October, you may travel through some radically different temperature zones. The South Eastern coast, Garden Route and Addo can still be quite cold at that time, but Kruger will be warming up and day temperatures could go into the mid to upper 30's. Monkeys in Kruger can be pests and are so clever and so quick, that you really need to keep an eye open. I have not had them enter a closed tent, but in some camps, Berg en Dal for example I have seen suggestions that cable ties be used to secure your tent when you are away. If you have any other specific question, please post them as we have some very knowledgeable members on this forum. Other than that I can only say enjoy our beautiful country and travel safe.
13 - 16 January '17 Punda Maria
17 - 19 January '17 Balule

18 - 23 May '17 Balule

1 - 2 Oct '17 Satara
3 - 5 Oct '17 Pretoriuskop

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:33 am

Hi Leo! You have an exciting trip planned :dance:

I am assuming that you will be camping in SANParks all the time? Camps at Storms River and Golden Gate are more accessible to passing traffic than Addo and Kruger. I still think it is safe to leave your tent, clothes, sleeping bags etc in your tent in any of the camps - but obviously not valuables/cash, nor food. You could buy a small padlock to use on the tent zip for extra precaution and peace of mind.

We camp all around SA, and have never ever had a problem - bar 'visits' from monkeys, squirrels and birds.
- Dalene

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:15 am

A very warm welcome to you, jleom :gflower:

Dinkybird and leervis have given you very good advice. As a rule I never leave cameras, binoculars, or money in a place where they are not locked up. I even lock them in the car when I am busy in the camp. In saying that, I have never had anything stolen at any Sanparks destination. (other than monkeys.)

Food is a problem with monkeys and baboons, but you seem to be aware of that.

You have a wonderful itinerary. I wish you many happy and beautiful memories.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Bartman

Re: Camping info & camping essentials

Unread post by Bartman » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:27 am

I've noticed in various parks whilst camping that a few campers wash their dishes at their campsite. So what happens to the dirty dishwater? Is it tossed at the nearest tree/drain or does one take it to the scullery to empty? :hmz:
3 & 4 July Maroela
5, 6 & 7 July - Letaba
8-15 July Skukuza

Camping with a Metalian Maxi

Return to “Advice needed (Not Park Specific) ”