Skip to Content

Malaria

Find information and FAQ's not related to the parks, like Health & Safety, 4x4 etc.
missings.a.!
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Malaria

Unread postby missings.a.! » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:02 am

I have read that in some countries they stitch the nets together and use them to catch large amounts of fish. I suppose that is the temptation if people live near a lake or an expanse of water.

edricfilho

Unread postby edricfilho » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:30 am

This is a fantastic thread for foreigners making plans to visit SA game parks/reserves! Travel agents downplay the risks and here one can see the truth. I'll plan for non-malarial-region parks instead, after reading all the posts and coming to the conclusion that the risks do exist and are not as minimal/avoidable as people say... Thank you all for the sincere info! :thumbs_up:

kallis1786
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby kallis1786 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:31 am

Welcome to the SANPARKS FORUMS :gflower:

You're more than welcome for all the information. It is all provided for all of us to gain some valuable information and knowledge on all of the National Parks in South Africa.

Yes Kruger is a high risk Malaria Area, and for the other parks, do try taking Addo Elephant National Park into consideration, I think its perfect for International tourist, as it is on the coast line as well. You have the chance of seeing the Magnificent 7.

edricfilho

Unread postby edricfilho » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:31 pm

I really appreciate your response, "kallis1786", and it made me put some more "points" to Addo to my final choice!!!! I have been to SA in 2013 on an brief job assignment, but reserved a couple of days to see a little more of your fantastic Country. SA is like that: you just want to see more and more... Happy Holidays!!!! :D

kallis1786
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby kallis1786 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:54 pm

Hi Edric

Its only a pleasure. Yes South Africa is a very special country. You can never say its enough. All our SANPARKS are awesome places to visit. They all have something unique about them.

If you do happen to visit Addo, it will definitely be a great experience because apart from the Big 5, there is a chance of you seeing the most feared shark the Great White and even Whales.

Thank You and hope you enjoy your time in SA

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Hippotragus » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:34 am

Hi Edric

I agree that Addo is a lovely park, but what about doing a round trip visiting more of the National Parks. One year we went from Johannesburg to Mokala (near Kimberley), then down to the Karoo National Park (near Beaufort West), then across to Addo, then back home via the Mountain Zebra National Park (near Craddock). They are all malaria-free and each has a charm of its own. The accommodation in all of them is very good, the staff friendly and a wide range of animals and birds - as well as spectacular scenery in some of them.

Have fun planning your trip and have a wonderful time when you do the trip.
Cricket @ Skukuza 3-6 March 2016
Satara 6-9 March 2016

edricfilho

Unread postby edricfilho » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:48 pm

Thanks a lot for the insight, "Hippo" :thumbs_up:

Return to “Advice needed (Not Park Specific) ”