Skip to Content

Auto Rental advice needed

Find information and FAQ's not related to the parks, like Health & Safety, 4x4 etc.
Elsa

Re: Rental vehicle for Kruger, from KMIA

Unread post by Elsa » Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:17 pm

Ok, sorry I can't be of more help then safarigal, but I am sure when Arks who is also from the US and rents cars out there frequently comes on, she will have good advice for you.
but I do know she always uses AutoEurope and recommends them.
Kruger - 16th Feb to 8th March 2017

saraf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by saraf » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:01 pm

To be honest, at KMIA they are all much of a muchness. We've used Avis, Budget (now one company) and Europcar from there in the past and there was not much difference in service. I will say that we've had issues with both Budget and Europcar in not having vehicles ready for us when we arrived, although this was some years ago. So I'd go for the company that gives the best value for money (which is not always the cheapest one). Check for unlimited mileage, excess charges, fuel policy etc.

In the past we've used a consolidator like AutoEurope, to get the best deal. But now we tend to go with Avis as they have a good customer loyalty scheme (AVIS Preferred) that means I don't have to wait for them to check my identity documents - I join a separate, shorter queue, hand over my reservation number, pre payment voucher or credit card, passport and driver's license. They then check that the details they have on file for me match, I get the keys and off I go. At Joburg its cut the waiting time down from upwards of an hour to little more than 10 minutes. At KMIA I don't think it will be that much of a saving as there really aren't any queues. But it does cut out having to wait for them to photocopy documents x number of times.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

nighthawk2

Unread post by nighthawk2 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:02 pm

This isn't specific to rental vehicles for Kruger but general vehicle hires.
We have rented vehicles in South Africa numerous times & never, ever had a vehicle with wheel locks.
These are the wheel nuts that require an adaptor to remove.
On our last trip we picked up our vehicle in Port Elizabeth. We went to MZNP, Karoo NP & then KTP.
We drove on rocky roads in MZNP & Karoo. We were halfway through our KTP stay sitting in Nossob camp having a cold one when my gaze drifted towards the wheel of our vehicle. I noticed it had a wheel lock. I hadn't seen the adaptor in the vehicle, so proceeded to turn the vehicle inside /out.
NOWHERE TO BE FOUND!
This was an oh-oh moment. To continue without the means to replace a puncture was stupid.
Our only choice really was to make our way to Upington to get a replacement vehicle.
We managed to do that but lost a day in KTP. The good news was we didn't get a puncture but if we had, we were stuck.
My point in telling this story is to check to make sure that adaptor is in the vehicle AND that it fits all the nuts.
the nighthawk

saraf

Unread post by saraf » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:12 pm

We were once left without a key for unlocking the petrol cap. There was a key, it just wasn't the correct one. Now we check we can open the petrol cap before we leave.

But good tip about the locking wheel nuts, that will get added to my checklist.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:11 am

Elsa wrote:Ok, sorry I can't be of more help then safarigal, but I am sure when Arks who is also from the US and rents cars out there frequently comes on, she will have good advice for you.
but I do know she always uses AutoEurope and recommends them.

Sorry, I can't really help, since I have only rented small cars (I travel solo). And while I haven't used AutoEurope in some time (I now book directly with Avis), I have found them to be excellent in the past. They are a consolidator and work with a variety of car rental companies. You should at least check them for rates for the vehicle(s) that you are considering.
RSA 2016
4,5 April Melville
6-19 April KNP: Croc Bridge, Olifants, Shingwedzi, Pafuri Border
20-24 April Mapungubwe: Leokwe
25 April-28 May Darling
29 May-19 June Cape Town
21 September-21 November Darling

Cecilec
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Cecilec » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:50 pm

Hi,
we can suggest HERZ or AVIS, both are verry kind and since this airport is soooo smal,there was never ever a line for us. :clap: :clap:

Greetings

Cécile :gflower:
19.04.-21.04.17 Berg en Dal
21.04.-25.04.17 Crocodile Bridge
25.04.-30.04.17 SATARA
30.04.-06.05.17 LETABA
06.05.-08.05.17 Lower Sabi
08.05.-10.05.17 Crocodile Bridge

[b] "Try to have always your ducks in a row."
[/b]

s2000ap

Unread post by s2000ap » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:09 am

Safarigal, I generally fly into Skukuza and the Avis guys there handle the hire without any hassles. Needed a vehicle exchange (service K's) last time and that was arranged with the Skukuza central office and that also went like clockwork. Booking from OS online using the Avis site will also take you to a special OS page and the hire will include unlimited mileage as well.
Check the insurance excess, your travel insurance may cover any amount not covered by the Avis insurance.

Weeman

Unread post by Weeman » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:06 am

Hi. Rented from KMIA about 7 times. The clincher for me was that Avis have an office at Skukuza which can be handy if you get problems. Been using them ever since and have been very content with the service and the price. Booked via their web site without issue. Last time I flew to Skukuza and had similar experience there. Decided Skukuza is more convenient for the park so will attempt to book flight to there in the future. I suggest you take some advice about the best road route from KMIA nearer the time.
Also, I always check on the first day or two that I can undo the wheel nuts on each wheel and learn the jacking points etc - peace of mind.

Return to “Advice needed (Not Park Specific) ”