Skip to Content

Auto Rental advice needed

Find information and FAQ's not related to the parks, like Health & Safety, 4x4 etc.
George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2015)

Re: Caravan Rental for Kruger Camping

Unread post by George_Brits » Tue May 19, 2015 2:05 pm

Hi Andrea,

There is a few companies (well actually a lot) that do offer caravan/offroad trailer hire available. My suggestion would be to look on the web to find a suitable and reputable company that you can get it from.

And yes most of these are fully equipped.

On a recent trip to Kgalagadi, I rented an offroad caravan but as you indicated, that too can be rather a pricey option as you are from the Netherlands, so you look at vehicle rental, caravan rental and then on top of that your campsite tariff.

A few reputable companies:

Britz 4x4 hire http://www.britz.co.za
Bobo Campers http://www.bobocampers.com
Bushtrackers http://www.bushtrackers.co.za

Please feel free to reply on this post, should you require any other information

harrys
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by harrys » Tue May 19, 2015 7:46 pm

Hi Andrea

Try Kempton caravans(www.kemptoncaravans.co.za)

They are near the airport and they have normal road caravans at reasonable prises for renting. :thumbs_up:
Say NO to hotels in KNP!!!
Lower Sabie: 13 to 15 August 2016: Berg en Dal 16 to 19 August 2016

cheetahlady
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by cheetahlady » Fri May 22, 2015 12:49 am

Andrea, we once hired a vehicle with a roof top tent. I don't think the company we rented from is in business anymore (it was small, family owned). It was fully equipped. We found that it was slightly cheaper than a regular vehicle rental and a bungalow. The big advantage is being able to stay at some of the rustic campsites where there is no hut accommodation. I don't think that it is necessarily a cheaper option, but provides a different experience.
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better
Albert Einstein

KNP June 2017 Mopani, Shingwedzi, Letaba, Satara, Pretoriuskop, Berg-en-Dal

Grit1962

Unread post by Grit1962 » Thu May 28, 2015 2:25 pm

Hi AndreaB

We have always the same problem as we prefer camping over renting chalets/bungalows.

This year we will be in Kruger for 6 weeks starting mid of October and have rented a so-called Bushcamper from Africamper. They have a good reputation and the camper is equipped with everything you need. We pay a little more than 100 EUR per day which is okay as you have the 4x4 car as well as the camper. The advantage of this kind of camper is that you sleep inside and not in a roof-top tent.

We have already booked the camps in Kruger and will stay most of the time in the smaller satellite camps.

Best regards
Grit
Life is to short to drink bad wine

AndreaB
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by AndreaB » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:30 pm

Thanks everyone for your input, have to confess I have bottled out again this time and just booked a trip in park accomodation for next Feb, I will however bear all your tips in mind for when I do get around to alternative Kruger parking :gflower:
11-13 June Pretoriuskop
13 -14 June Satara
15-16 June Shingwedzi

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2015)

Unread post by George_Brits » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:42 am

Hi AndreaB,

I think once you are used to the "creature comforts" that the normal accommodation provides, its quite difficult to make the crossover from traditional accommodation to camping... maybe its a good idea to start with accommodation without any amenities like the ones you would get at Balule/Malelane.

I have to admit, I haven't done the camping thing in years, its also quite pricey in the beginning with the initial equipment costs.

Anyways, enjoy the trip!!

Esusino

Feedback on car booking website Thrifty

Unread post by Esusino » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:00 pm

Hi all

did anyone booked a car via this website?

https://www.thrifty.com/Reservations/in ... cationTime

Are they OK? :D
Many thanks!

Andrea

Esusino

Re: Feedback on car booking website Thrifty

Unread post by Esusino » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:09 pm

Esusino wrote:Hi all

did anyone booked a car via this website?

https://www.thrifty.com/Reservations/in ... cationTime

Are they OK? :D
Many thanks!

Andrea

Hi Guys,

any help on that?

Thanks
Andrea

moose

Avis skukuza- help! Anyone lose their credit card used to prepay the reservation?

Unread post by moose » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:00 pm

Hello - we are FINALLY arriving in SKukuza on May 22 :D . Getting my papers together I noticed the fine print of our SKZ car rental. purchased back in Jan. It says I need the card used to make the purchase. Well - this same card a month ago was hacked into so the bank told me to cut and throw out the card. I emailed JNB avis (the email that sent the paperwoork) and they said I needed the card. What to do? I have the replacement card and can get a notarized statement that that is the same account, but it didnt seem like that would fly either. Has anyone come across this issue? Does anyone have the email of SKZ avis?

Merlin11

Re: Auto Rental advice needed

Unread post by Merlin11 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:09 pm

Hi Moose, not sure if this helps or not, but this was the Branch Manager at Avis, Skukuza Airport, we found him extremely helpful mid 2015:

sam.lamani@avis.co.za

I also have phone numbers if you could possibly call?

moose

Unread post by moose » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:27 pm

Thanks so much!! Will give this email a try. I don't have an inexpensive way to call at this point, so am hoping to resolve by email. I do see a listed number for the airport avis, but hope to avoid a zillion dollar call(s)!

moose

Unread post by moose » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:42 pm

Thx merlin 11. That email is good and he was able to take the time at least to follow through on my case. Very kind and helpfull. However, in the end the only way to address the issue was to cancel the reservation and rebook. Avis central will not take a statement from bank or accept te replacement card. To me it is odd as I can prove it was me that purchase the rental and the charge dis go through. But so very glad I discovered this before we arrived!

Return to “Advice needed (Not Park Specific) ”