Skip to Content

Place to have an experience

Find information and FAQ's not related to the parks, like Health & Safety, 4x4 etc.
Anatole

Place to have an experience

Unread post by Anatole » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:00 pm

Hi,

My name is Anatole, I'm 22 years old and I'm travelling in South Africa since one month. I decided to come in South Africa with the wish to have an experience with wilds animals, especially lions, that I couldn't have in my country, (France). I'm now really near the north part of the Krueger National Park, tomorrow I will be in the city called Maphophe. I would like to find a place where I can offer my service (cleaning rooms, washing tools in the restaurant) against a little place to sleep but my real wish is to be near the wild animals. Please, do you have any advices for me, for example are there some associations inside the park who accept volunteers ?

Thank you, Greetings

Anatole

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Re: Place to have an experience

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:21 am

A warm welcome, Anatole.

It is difficult to find employment in rural areas, mainly because of the high level of jobless people. This is particularly the case with unskilled work. Do you have any special skills that might be useful at game lodges?

The only thing that I could suggest is that you approach a game lodge and talk to the managers. Good luck.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Hippotragus
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Place to have an experience

Unread post by Hippotragus » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:57 am

Welcome Anatole.

I agree with Meandering Mouse's comments. I checked up on Maphophe - it is a very small rural village near Thoyandou - not a city! There is virtually no employment in areas like that and most of the local people are unemployed.

As a non-South African, you might have a problem finding work because you will probably need a Work Permit, which can take time to get processed. Maybe contact some game lodges and see if they would be prepared to hire you unofficially, without registering you.

I hope you are enjoying your tour - stay safe - some rural areas have bad crime - mainly because of the unemployment.
Skukuza 1-4 March 2018 (Cricket weekend!!)
Lower Sabie 4 March 2018
Satara 5-9 March 2018

Return to “Advice needed (Not Park Specific) ”