Skip to Content

Malaria

Find information and FAQ's not related to the parks, like Health & Safety, 4x4 etc.
Elsa

Re: Malaria

Unread post by Elsa » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:09 pm

I would say in Kruger you are never that far from medical help especially in the south of the park.
Skukuza has a resident medical doctor.
I think the form is more for those visiting the far flung reaches of Africa.

rayb
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by rayb » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:50 pm

Elsa wrote:I would say in Kruger you are never that far from medical help especially in the south of the park.
Skukuza has a resident medical doctor.
I think the form is more for those visiting the far flung reaches of Africa.

And deepest, darkest Peru :) I asked out of personal interest as much as anything. I expect the Rest Camps have a pretty good first aid post . Do they have access to a helicopter if fast response is required?
The smaller the monkey the more it looks like it would kill you at the first given opportunity

safarigal

Unread post by safarigal » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:40 am

We will be in Kruger in under 2 weeks and will be taking malaria meds. I am net very familiar with South African mosquito sprays, I have used Tabbard in the past. So my question is: Is Peaceful Sleep an efficient spray? Does it keep the mosquitoes from biting?

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:25 am

We have always used Peaceful Sleep products including the spray, and it probably works much the same as Tabard. I just prefer the smell!!

As long as you make sure you spray regularly and carefully, so as not to miss a spot, and pay particular attention to your ankles.

So glad that you have consulted medical advice regarding the meds. :thumbs_up:
I long each day for my beloved Kruger!!!! :thumbs_up:

safarigal

Unread post by safarigal » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:53 pm

Thanks so much for your advice ...... only 13 days to go!!

Yoda
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Yoda » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:54 am

safarigal wrote:We will be in Kruger in under 2 weeks and will be taking malaria meds. I am net very familiar with South African mosquito sprays, I have used Tabbard in the past. So my question is: Is Peaceful Sleep an efficient spray? Does it keep the mosquitoes from biting?

Don't know if you can get it in the States. But we use a product called "Mosquito Milk".
It comes as a roll on. You put it on your ankles and wrists. Have found it to be very good - the Mozzies leave us alone!
"It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living"
Terry Pratchett

Karin Mitton
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:38 pm

A friend suggested a mixture of Teatree oil, Citronella oil mixed with Aques cream. I used this for my Kruger trip last week. The smell is rather pleasant.
We did see some pretty large mozzies in Skukuza, but I have not noticed any bites on me (fortunately).

But they are there already, so take pre-cautions!

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:30 pm

I also try and use as natural as possible remedies, but with the current surge in malaria cases, I am going to use Peaceful Sleep as per this article. I think all of us heading into the area should be aware:

http://www.afribird.com/hoedspruit-mala ... -required/
- Dalene

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:36 pm

Please be aware of the latest media release Kruger National Park encourages the public regarding Malaria preventive measures

11 October 2017

Due to reported cases of Malaria in Mpumalanga Province recently, in particular Ehlanzeni District Municipality of which the southern part of the Kruger National Park (KNP) falls under, Management would like to caution visitors coming to the Park to take the necessary precautionary measures against Malaria disease.

“We would like to advise visitors to the Park to take precautionary measures in order to prevent the possibility of developing Malaria whilst visiting the Park. Precautions which include the use of prophylaxes in consultation with doctors and to avoid exposing the skin whilst outside in the evenings can assist a great deal in this regard. KNP is known to be one of the Malaria endemic areas in this country and therefore chances of catching Malaria disease always exist in this area though not often,” said the GM: Communications and Marketing, William Mabasa.

To reduce the risk of Malaria whilst staying in the Park, visitors are further advised to use repellants on the skin, wear long sleeve clothes if they happen to go outside of their units, keep the window gauzes and doors closed at all times and check that these are not broken, as well as to ensure that air conditioners in the chalets are fully functional.

Mabasa also noted that “although Malaria can be contracted at any time of the year the Malaria season in this country is October to April, with March and April being the highest risk period. We request visitors who contract Malaria after having visited the Park to assist us, by immediately reporting to our local doctors in Skukuza as this can assist in recording and identifying all the affected areas in need of attention”.

There are resident medical doctors permanently based in Skukuza, Kruger National Park’s main camp and the public can consult them for information and advice prior to their visit to the Park on telephone number +27 13 735 5638. More information on Malaria can also be found on website link https://www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/t ... alaria.php

Issued by:
South African National Parks: Communications & Marketing Department – Kruger National Park.

Media enquiries:
William Mabasa
GM: Communications & Marketing - KNP
Tel: 013 735 4363, cell: 082 807 3919
Email: william.mabasa@sanparks.org

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:39 am

Malaria Information supplied by Dr Nadus Visser of the Skukuza Medical Practice. MBChB (Pret)

The risk of contracting malaria is often a concern when visiting the Kruger National Park.
The Kruger is one of the two South African National Parks that are situated in malaria risk areas.
The other park is Mapungubwe National Park.
It is important to note that the risk of malaria in both of these parks is usually low, even in the summer months.
Malaria is mosquito borne disease transmitted exclusively through the bite of the female Anopheles mosquito.
The highest risk period is between November and April - the end of the summer rainy season.
Following the bite of an infected mosquito, an individual may remain asymptomatic for 12 – 35 days, depending on the species of
malaria. This is known as the incubation period.
Malaria should be suspected in patients with any unexplained fever after visiting an area where malaria is endemic.
The symptoms of malaria include:
· Fever
· Chills
· Sweating
· Headaches
· Body aches
· Tiredness
· Stomach problems – These can include:
o Loss of appetite
o Nausea and vomiting
o Belly pain
o Diarrhoea
· Skin that looks yellow – This is called “jaundice.”
· Cough
· Fast heart rate or breathing

When malaria becomes severe, it can cause symptoms such as: ·
Confusion
· Hallucinations
· Seizures
· Dark or bloody urine
Most types of mosquito that are encountered will not carry the malaria parasite and if an individual is bitten it does not mean that they will contract malaria.
The risk of malaria can be reduced by preventing mosquito bites. Mosquitoes most often bite between dusk and dawn.
People are advised to stay indoors during this period, or cover exposed skin with light clothing or insect repellents.
Remember to spray one’s ankles.
Burning anti-mosquito coils and ensuring netted screens are kept closed will significantly reduce your risk for contracting insect bites.
All of the accommodation available in Kruger is fitted with netted screens.
Malaria prophylactic drugs can be taken that will further decrease the chances of contracting malaria.
It is a difficult decision whether or not to take malaria prophylactics when visiting the Kruger National Park.
The risk of contracting malaria needs to be weighed up against the side effects of the malaria prophylactic medication, and all the drugs available have various side effects.
The choice of the appropriate drug that an individual should use is a decision that should be made in consultation with a medical doctor.
There are three types of malaria prophylactic medications available for the strains of malaria occurring in South Africa, namely Doxycycline, Atovaquone/Proguanil and Mefloquine.
It is also important to know that taking malaria prophylaxis does not guarantee that an individual will not contract malaria, it decreases the risk of contracting the disease.
Malaria should be excluded in anyone who presents with unexplained fever within 12 to 35 days after entering a malaria area.
A blood test is the most accurate, although rapid tests are available that are also very accurate.
**As of late September 2017 we have noticed an increase in the amount of Malaria
diagnoses in Kruger National Park. We therefore advise all travellers to cover
themselves by taking chemoprophylaxis whilst visiting the Park.
Your family physician will be able to advise you on the most suitable medication.

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:28 am

Thanks Elsa, that is all very helpful info from Dr.Visser. :thumbs_up:
I long each day for my beloved Kruger!!!! :thumbs_up:

gbird
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by gbird » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:29 pm

Finding Mefliam may be difficult as it is going to be out of stock long term due to supply issues according to Cipla - 3 October 2017. Many of our local pharmacies did not have stock so look early if this is what you are after.

Return to “Advice needed (Not Park Specific) ”