Skip to Content

NO SHOW: BOOKING CANCELLED

Discuss current issues and events happening in the parks.
Madalla

Re: NO SHOW: BOOKING CANCELLED

Unread post by Madalla » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:41 pm

I have rewritten my whole argument. Perhaps it will now make more sense.
First up I want to say that I am not an attorney. My arguments are as much informed by common sense as it is by my limited legal knowledge. So, I dont offer any legal advice.
And secondly, there are no malice intended or implied in anything that I say.
Two things that followed close upon each other, the same day, gave rise to this threat.
The first was when I stumbled across the expression non sequiter and I realised that I still knew what it meant. Then I made a booking at SANPARKS and read their conditions of booking. . . .
I started out, initially, with a tongue in the cheek academic excercise to determine whether SANPARKS are guilty of unfair business practices as an excuse to play with some of the “big”words that I learned a long time ago. (Madalla means “Old Man”).
This has now changed and I want to continue the discussion from a quassi legalistic point of view but with the tongue still firmly in the cheek.
So, to partake in this discussion, you will have to look at what is contained in the published rules for making a booking and nothing else. Because if this was a case presented to a court, arguments like someone else is being deprived of a visit to KNP etc. or SANPARKS are just a phone call away to notify or cancel does not enter the equation. They are ephemeral or non sequiter...
Here are the rules for cancellation that is under discussion:
*Cancelling a reservation six days or less prior to arrival (or not arriving at all) will result in a 100% cancellation fee,

Cancelling 7 to 14 days before arrival 50% and 15 to 30 days before arrival 25% (calculated on the total reservation cost).
If the arrival date of the itinerary is postponed prior to or on date of arrival and then cancelled at a later stage, the fees that
applied at the time of amendment will be enforced if the amount is greater than the new cancellation fees.
Downgrading a reservation six days or less prior to arrival will result in a 100% modification fee, 7 to 14 days before arrival 50%
and 15 to 30 days before arrival 25% (calculated on the difference in reservation cost before and after downgrading)

Should the reservation not be taken up on the arrival date the accommodation will be held until 09:00 the following day after
which the reservation will be cancelled and the deposit, where applicable, forfeited.
SANParks reserves the right to retain the deposit, or part thereof as cancellation fee, stipulated in the conditions governing the
Acceptance Of Advance Reservations which are attached.
It is your responsibility to familiarise yourself with the following, and if not attached contact reservation office immediately:

Let me first ask a few questions.
Number one. Do you fully realise and understand what happens when you make a booking?.
Let us assume for argument’s sake that I made a booking for a hut at Lower Sabie for the period 20 Dec to 6 Jan. (Please go drool somewhere else!)
Then SANPARKS sends you a letter, with attachments, giving the details of the booking and requesting payment.
“In order to secure your reservation the amount of R 500,00 is payable before 29/08/2017, failing which the
entire reservation will be cancelled automatically and any partial payment of the deposit subject to
forfeiture.”
After you have paid the full amount, you get a letter of confirmation, with those same attachments.
Question no. 2.
What do you think are your rights in terms of this booking contract.
The first thing to realise is that this is a pure business transaction. I book (read RENT) a hut at LS for a specific period and I paid the rent of R1 000 in full. (Yes, I said go drool somewhere else).
I now have a legal binding contract with SANPARKS.
I have the right to be provided with unfettered access to the booked accommodation for the full period as per the booking. Intrinsic to that implication is my right to come and go as it suits me, including the right to arrive on a time and day that suits me and leave when it suits me.
It also includes the right to cancell the booking should I want to do it.
Note that SANPARKS, on the other hand, does not have any right to change or cancell the booking without my consent.
The situation actually is very simple.
Question Three:
Really??? That simple.?
Yes!
And sadly, so are you my friend, so are you.
Dearly beloved, you may be seated and please beare with me a little, my pall. Have a handful of tissues. And listen to some music. May I suggest “Cry me a river?”

Dear Visitor. It grieves me deeply to point out to you that you have been conned out of all those wonderful rights by no less then SANPARKS themselves.
You see, dear valued visitor, you have agreed to transfer all those rights, which you thought you had, to SANPARKS the moment you agreed to the booking conditions.
Remember all those attachments which you did not bother to read?. I bet you did not read beyond the first page. Just checked the dates, place, time etc. And then you announced your Nirvana under “Countdown” on the forum.
Someone once said: “The devil is in the detail.” I want to say “The devil is in those attachments” that were sneaked into your booking with a purpose.
Actually a sneaky lot those guys. These conditions or fine print was disguised in large letters so that you would not recognise it as fine print. And it worked!
Especially this one:
Should the reservation not be taken up on the arrival date the accommodation will be held until 09:00 the following day after
which the reservation will be cancelled and the deposit, where applicable, forfeited.

Yes! You sold yourself right back into slavery!!!
Slavery? Nabucco? Yes, this Italian guy called Verdi. They tell me he was amazing. Can you imagine an Italian guy using Hebrew slaves to win a choir competition. I heard he waxed lyrical when he wrote his own songs and composed his own music. Cool man!
So pull a Verdi on yourself. I mean compose yourself man and listen. All is not lost. There is, fortunately, a small light at the end of the tunnel.
Let us look at the booking process.
The problem that I want to highlight in this booking process is the fact that YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT all of those adverse and onerous conditions presented to you when making a booking, otherwise you can not get the booking. Finish and klaar. (Untranslateable).
I once heard someone refer to that manoeuvre as coercion. You see, SANPARKS knows that they have the upper hand in this case – if you do not take the booking on their conditions, some other sucker will do so within days. They don’t even bother to ask you to confirm that you accept the conditions. You accept them by implication – by going ahead with the booking. They also do not provide a channel to negotiate or appeal. Take it or leave it, not so dear visitor.
Now, everyone knows that an acceptance made under duress, with the proverbial gun to the head, does not constitute a valid agreement.
This begs the question. Is this a fair business practice?

Let us visit the answer to question 2 again. How does this condition fit in with your expectations:?

SANPARKS have devised those conditions as a way to usurp my rights and priviledges from under my nose and all I can smell is money. Presumptious indeed.
Let me postulate a theory for consideration, and you, or they, can correct me and give the correct version.
Let us look at my 18 days in Lower Sabie.
On the second day they cancel my booking and thus have 16 days left to lease to a new visitor.
They keep my money and that of the new visitor to boot.

Can it be morally justified.? Is this a fair business practice.?
If there is no ulterior motive can someone then please explain to me why SANPARKS have this clause in their booking conditions at all.
Let us face it. It is an onerous measure which holds absolutely no benefit for me.
And what is so laughable about the whole situation is that SANPARKS is only concerned about whether you clock in on time. After you have booked in you can come and go as you please. No questions asked. You can even go home. But the devil and his brother will visit you with all sorts of visitations if you do not clock in on time.
It does not make sense. In a normal world it would have made perfect sense if I said that cancellations should always remain the prerogative of the visitor. It is his/her booking or aquired right, after all.

“Cancelling a reservation six days or less prior to arrival (or not arriving at all) will result in a 100% cancellation fee,
cancelling 7 to 14 days before arrival 50% and 15 to 30 days before arrival 25% (calculated on the total reservation cost). “.

These are very onerous conditions. Is it fair - to the visitor as well as to SANPARKS
It is also a very contradictary position to the one where they cancell your whole booking on day two.
What these conditions tells us is that there is no incentive to cancell. They are going to penalise you heavily, in any case, for doing the right thing.

I also acknowledge that it is of no use to only point to the problems without offering a solution.
And again the solution is simple. With justice as the guideline.
A comprehensive, fair and equitable booking policy should be drawn up which is not possible on this forum. I can only mention a few considerations to be taken into account.
When you make a booking you undertake to rent certain accommodation for a specific period. SANPARKS reserves this accommodation for you on payment of a deposit. Which means that they stand to lose money if you cancell prematurely.
This risk should be taken into account when drawing up a cancellation policy for unpaid or uncompleted bookings.
Fully paid up bookings requires a different approach.

The day two clause should be scrapped immediately.
Acknowledge that the visitor has full control over his booking and not SANPARKS.
SANPARKS can only cancel or amend the booking on request of the visitor.
If the visitor wants to cancell and expect to receive a part of his money back, then the approach should be try and accommodate him as far as possible. SANPARKS can try to relet the accommodation and the visitor can be refunded the money paid by the new visitor. Less some admin costs.
The bottom line is still that justice should be done to everyone.
No thought can live in your mind rent free. Prov 4:23

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:56 pm

Also agree with Madalla that clause of non-arrival should be revised and unfair to the visitor that paid in full, but have a valid reason for not arriving on the first night and day thereafter.

Cancellation should only be done on request of the guest and that SANParks (camp manager) must contact the guest before going ahead with cancellation. There are numerous reason for not getting to a camp on time and very unfair if you finally arrived to find your paid holiday has been given to some-one else.

I was in a situation that I could not arrive one the day I've booked or even at 9 am the next day. Luckily the camp manager contacted me a day before arrival and I had his cellphone number to call and explain that we will be late by 2 - 3 days.

We had car problem after entering at Malelane gate on our way to Tsendze and had to get a flatbed truck to take the car to Nelspruit that only arrived the next day. Luckily we realized this just after entering and not in an area without cellphone reception or limited cars passing us. Imagine you do take one of those gravel roads and can't drive further with no cellphone reception and only get help the next day and in panic to get the car on the road again do not notify the camp why you will be late. I am sure most people will remember to phone, but should it not be in the best interest of the guest only to cancel only when you contact the person.

Last month I've left one day earlier at Kgalagadi and the person at reception asked me twice if he can cancelled to be sure no misunderstanding. The same should apply for a booking of more than 2 days.
Jan 2018: Next trip to KNP - Tamboti, Talamati, Maroela and Satara

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:23 am

I hope my input will make some sense and is relevant to help others who have to postpone a trip at short notice as I am a bit lost on this topic. In 2016 due to unforeseen circumstances we had to amend our booking in one of the SA National Parks at short notice. We contacted the SANPARKS reservation office, explained the situation and our booking was amended and postponed without any problems.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:15 pm

Grantmissy wrote:I hope my input will make some sense and is relevant to help others who have to postpone a trip at short notice as I am a bit lost on this topic. In 2016 due to unforeseen circumstances we had to amend our booking in one of the SA National Parks at short notice. We contacted the SANPARKS reservation office, explained the situation and our booking was amended and postponed without any problems.

The problem here is not amending your booking on short notice of more than 6 days as in case of less you will forfeit your booking according to rules and not being able to amend any days you will arrive late to different dates.

*Cancelling a reservation six days or less prior to arrival (or not arriving at all) will result in a 100% cancellation fee,

The issue here is that it is possible that your arrival can be delayed en route to your destination in the park on the day of arrival and not able to arrive within 15 hours of expected arrival time as per booking. You might not be in a position on that day to phone and on arrival 24 - 48 hours later only to find that your booking was cancelled due to the rule of no show. I will give you a few examples on what can go wrong:

1. You cannot depart early enough and arrive late not able to reach the gate on time where your 1st night booking was. When you phone you don't get any answer at the camp as reception office already closed and you don't have a list of all numbers except reservation office that is also closed at that time. The next morning you arrive after 9 am at camp only to find out some-one else took over your booking without your consent and no notice of cancellation.

2. You booked in at the park, but not SA side and due to difficulties of not able to complete the journey you arrive only the next day/ day later after 9 am., e.g. travelling from Mabua to Nossob on a 4x4 track where you got stucked and had to wait more than 1 day for help. It is not possible to phone and the camp manager decide to cancel your booking according to the rule you had no choice not to agree to.

3. Decided to travel though another country to reach the park, only to find out border gate closes at 4 pm and not able to phone (no roaming or cell phone reception) arriving the next day at 10 pm due to border gate only opening at 8 am.

I think I can mentioned a few more plausible scenarios why you won't be able to reach you destination and arrive after 9 am the next day. The question is therefore is it a fair practise from SANParks to cancel your booking within 15 hours of not arriving. The current clause does not even cater for 24 hours of late arrival and is extremely unfair. I am not sure how it will be applied in practice, but if it does come to late arrival you have no foot to stand on if camp manager decide to cancel your booking.

With trans frontier park and bookings at more than one parks board in one park it is easily possible to run into such problem and the possibility of not arriving on the first day of your booking.

Why is a noticed required and why must your booking be cancelled if already paid up. You are not asking that you want alternative date for the days lots and understand that the days you did not arrive you can get money back for / amendment to booking.

Hope its a bit clearer on why its proposed to remove that clause from the booking.

Madalla

Unread post by Madalla » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:47 pm

We have discussed the question whether SANPARKS have indeed been engaging in unfair business practices with with regard to their cancellation policy in detail and I do not think that any new thoughts will be forthcoming from the forumites.

But I have been worried all along that we are commenting on something that we do not fully understand.
Are there other considerations or rules that we are not aware of?.

Maybe Elsa and Crested Val can approach SANPARKS for their comments. I am sure that we will all appreciate clarification on the matter from SANPARKS.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:20 pm

If you feel SANParks are in any way engaging in unfair business practice then you need to send a mail detailing your concerns to customercare@sanparks.org.

Madalla

Unread post by Madalla » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:24 pm

Elsa,
I note your comment.

This matter is now very much in the public domain, as it should be. I will therefore not be inclined to discuss the matter with SANPARKS on my own, via e-mail. Other forum members are sure to give valuable inputs if given the chance on the forum.

The mods can only bat for SANPARKS up to a point, whereafter SANPARKS must stand up and do their own bidding.
I think it is incumbent upon them to join the conversation at this stage. Ignoring the matter will not make it go away.
If my assertion about the unfair business practice is wrong, or they have valid reasons for the way they handle reservations, then they can easily settle the argument straightaway.
Just tell us the why and wherefore. It is that simple.

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:26 pm

SANParks PR have been alerted to the topic.
- Dalene

gbird
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by gbird » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:55 pm

Where bookings have been made on-line, the offending clause is not present (presumably because the full cost has to be paid up front by credit card).

Where bookings have been made by phone, it is present. (Possibly a hangover from a time when the deposit requirements were different).

Madalla

Unread post by Madalla » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:45 pm

Hi Gbird

The offensive clause is included in the attachments to the e-mail sent to you to confirm thr booking and asking for the deposit to be paid as well as the e-mail to give the final confirmation that your booking has been confirmed.

Thank you DinkyBird.

gbird
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by gbird » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:40 am

Hi Madalla

Earlier this year I made a number of bookings, some using the on-line booking system and some by phone. For on-line bookings you pay at the time of making the booking and the clause is definitely not in the booking confirmation. Where I booked by phone, received a deposit request and paid later, the clause was included in the booking confirmation.

I always end up with separate bookings for each camp because then there is no chance of losing what I have already booked when trying to add further accommodation.

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:37 pm

I don't think any-one wants to take on SP to court, but just want better understanding of the terms and conditions when you paid in full. The post of gbird made me go back to my own bookings and found a difference between On-line that does not refer to cancellation of booking if not arriving, while my booking through reservation office does. I can add on that I can't find a booking I made through reservation office that was paid in full to see if the conditions change from deposit and confirmation.

The two different notes to by bookings are as follows:

On-line booking:

This reservation was made by the booking guest directly from the SANParks website www.sanparks.org.
SANParks accepts no responsibility for any incorrectness in the dates, camps, accommodation types or number of guests
booked.
All reservations made online require immediate and full payment by credit card.
Cancelling a reservation made online (through www.sanparks.org) could result in cancellation fees. These are calculated on
the total value of the reservation that was cancelled.
Cancelling a reservation: Guests may consider postponing a reservation (at same or higher cost and subject to availability) as
alternative to cancellation. Guests will be required to pay in the difference should reservation cost increase as a result.
Cancelling a reservation six days or less prior to arrival (or not arriving at all) will result in a 100% cancellation fee, cancelling 7
to 14 days before arrival 50% and 15 to 30 days before arrival 25% (calculated on the total reservation cost).
Downgrading a reservation (reducing the total value of the reservation) made online (through www.sanparks.org) could result
in modification fees. These are calculated on the difference between the reservation cost before and after the changes.
Downgrading a reservation six days or less prior to arrival will result in a 100% modification fee, 7 to 14 days before arrival 50%
and 15 to 30 days before arrival 25% (calculated on the difference in reservation cost before and after downgrading)
Downgrading a reservation after arrival will result in a 100% modification fee (calculated on the difference in reservation cost
before and after downgrading).
Guests who have booked different accommodation types for consecutive nights in the same camp will be required to move
from one unit to another (keeping to the designated check-out and check-in times).
If the arrival date of the itinerary is postponed prior to or on date of arrival and then cancelled at a later stage, the fees that
applied at the time of amendment will be enforced if the amount is greater than the new cancellation fees.
********** KRUGER NATIONAL PARK HAS IMPLEMENTED ADDITIONAL GATE ACCESS CONTROL SYSTEMS AT ITS ENTRANCE
GATES IN THE SOUTH OF THE PARK.
********** AS FROM 1 SEPTEMBER 2017, ALL VISITORS OVER 18 YEARS OLD WILL BE REQUIRED TO PRODUCE THEIR
IDENTITY DOCUMENT. (ID), PASSPORT OR ALTERNATIVE VALID IDENTIFICATION E.G. DRIVER'S LICENCE CARD FOR
SCANNING UPON ENTERING/EXITING THE PARK.[\quote]

Office reservation after paying 50 % deposit:

TERMS & CONDITIONS: It is your responsibility to check if the reservation is correct. Should the reservation be incorrect,
or further information is required which have not been mentioned below, please contact the reservation office immediately.
cancelling 7 to 14 days before arrival 50% and 15 to 30 days before arrival 25% (calculated on the total reservation cost).
Downgrading a reservation six days or less prior to arrival will result in a 100% modification fee, 7 to 14 days before arrival
50% and 15 to 30 days before arrival 25% (calculated on the difference in reservation cost before and after downgrading)
Should the reservation not be taken up on the arrival date the accommodation will be held until 09:00 the following day
after which the reservation will be cancelled and the deposit, where applicable, forfeited.
SANParks reserves the right to retain the deposit, or part thereof as cancellation fee, stipulated in the conditions governing
the Acceptance Of Advance Reservations which are attached.
It is your responsibility to familiarise yourself with the following, and if not attached contact reservation office immediately:
- CONDITIONS FOR THE ACCEPTANCE OF PRIOR RESERVATIONS
- PARKS REGULATIONS AND OTHER INFORMATION
You may also view it on our website on the following link: www.sanparks.org/tourism/tariffs
Guests who have booked different accommodation types for consecutive nights in the same camp will be required to move
from one unit to another (keeping to the designated check-out and check-in times).
********** KRUGER NATIONAL PARK HAS IMPLEMENTED ADDITIONAL GATE ACCESS CONTROL SYSTEMS AT ITS
ENTRANCE GATES IN THE SOUTH OF THE PARK.
********** AS FROM 1 SEPTEMBER 2017, ALL VISITORS OVER 18 YEARS OLD WILL BE REQUIRED TO PRODUCE THEIR
IDENTITY DOCUMENT. (ID), PASSPORT OR ALTERNATIVE VALID IDENTIFICATION E.G. DRIVER'S LICENCE CARD FOR
SCANNING UPON ENTERING/EXITING THE PARK.

It will be interesting to see if that section will be removed when I've paid my full amount. If not it should be revise so that both bookings if its on-line or through office, when paid in full, the same conditions must be shown.

Son godin
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Son godin » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:41 pm

Why is it not possible to edit in this thread. Wanted to make changes but can't. :wall: :wall: :wall:

Madalla

Unread post by Madalla » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:35 pm

Sorry, can not help with the editing.

I try not to make online bookings simply because you can then not utilise the pensioners discount.
Come think about it - is this a fair condition? I do not think so.
But it is nevertheless interesting to note the discrepancies between the booking conditions applicable to various booking methods.

I have raised this problem on the forum with the idea that it can be resolved amicably. But there is always the option to report the matter to the National Consumer Council.
This is from their website:

The NCC’s mere existence in terms of the Consumer Protection Act, Act 68 of 2008 which it administers, is to promote a fair, accessible and sustainable marketplace for consumer products and services, establish norms and standards relating to consumer protection, to provide for improved standards of consumer information, prohibit unfair marketing and business practices, promote responsible consumer behaviour, and to promote a consistent legislative and enforcement framework relating to consumer transactions and agreements. This simply means that the NCC registers and assesses complaints, investigates alleged misconduct by businesses, refers individual complaints to Alternate Dispute Resolution (ADR) agencies (ie, Provincial Consumer Affairs Authorities and relevant ombudsman schemes) for resolution, and represent consumers in the Consumer Tribunal amongst other things.

The Consumer Protection Act recognizes 8 fundamental consumer rights, in line with the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa, and United Nations Guidelines on Consumer Protection, which every consumer of goods and services is entitled to, regardless of the monetary value of a transaction or the significance of the commodity a consumer buys, even if it’s just a loaf of bread for daily use. Consumers have rights, any infringement of these rights is an act of non-compliance with the provisions of the Consumer Protection Act.

These rights in terms of the Consumer Protection Act, Act 68 of 2008 are:

The right to equality:
The right to privacy
The right to choose
The right to disclosure of information
The right to fair and responsible marketing
The right to a fair and honest dealing
The right to fair, just and reasonable terms and conditions; and
The right to safe and good quality goods

But let us first see what SANPARKS has to say about the matter.

Madalla

Unread post by Madalla » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:06 am

Hi Son Godin,

I came across this threat by chance:

Re: Questions & Report Forum glitches - upgrade April 2015

Unread post by DinkyBird » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:26 pm
Foxy, yes, it is a setting we have had for a while - one we were forced to take thanks to forum members who were causing havoc here and posting posts to whip up emotions, and then delete the content of their post.

All in an effort to keep the forums a pleasant place to visit for all the members. But we can have a look into lifting the lock onto this forum now :thumbs_up:
- Dalene

Return to “Forum Indaba”