Fundraiser - Frank Mabasa

Discuss and participate in the forum projects and fundraisers
Johan van Rensburg
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Birder of the Year (2015)

Fundraiser - Frank Mabasa

Unread post by Johan van Rensburg » Wed May 03, 2017 3:18 pm

I'm sure that anyone who met Frank quickly realised that he was a very wealthy man. He was blessed with that very rare asset: doing a job that he loved; a job that rewarded him with pleasure, excitement and constant learning. A parallel reality Frank’s sudden passing brought into focus is that financially his family is certainly going to feel strain. Alas the blessings Frank enjoyed in life did not accrue enormous fiscal profit.

The privilege I had of sharing Frank’s passion too infrequently and often too fleetingly left me feeling not only a sense of loss at his passing, but also a feeling of remorse for not hoarding more of the man when the opportunity was there.

Several forumites have hinted that they would like to see a fund started enabling bequests to Frank’s kin. The brilliant proposal found resonance with the VHR and wheels were put in motion to make the fund a reality.

Donations can be made via givengain or via the SANParks Honorary Rangers Bank Account.

‘Mites who wish to participate in this wonderful initiative should PM “barryels” or send him an e-mail (els.barry01@gmail.com) to obtain the banking details for donations into the SANParks Honorary Rangers Bank Account.

If anybody wishes to make use of givengain through the following link: VIR - Virtual Region.

[b]PLEASE USE THE FOLLOWING REFERENCE:
VHR FRANK AND YOUR NAME.

The account will be closed to contributions on 31 July 2017. Shortly thereafter an official handover of the money accumulated will be handed over to Frank’s wife.

I guess in some small way a financial contribution to Frank’s wife will not only assist them in this difficult time, but also serve to ease my personal sadness a little. I hope this project will resound similarly with everyone who enjoyed Frank’s generosity of spirit.
728 Latest lifers: Hartlaub's babbler, Coppery-tailed coucal, Red-billed spurfowl, White-browed coucal, Scharlow's turaco, Copper sunbird, Long-toed lapwing, Eastern bronze-naped pigeon, Malagasy pond heron, Soft-plumaged petrel, Orange-winged pytilia.

inyanga 1
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Fundraiser - Frank Mabasa

Unread post by inyanga 1 » Wed May 03, 2017 5:34 pm

JVR and the VR team,

Thanks for setting this up. :dance: :dance: :dance:

The financial overhead getting money via CC to givengain or via EFT to the VHR bank account are much less for SA mites than overseas mites.

We have to pay either the CC company (who take a percentage anyway) or our bank a handling charge (and poorish exchange rates). If a number of us do so then the handling charges waste donation money.

If any UK mite wants to EFT a donation to my UK bank then I will aggregate them with ours and do a bulk transfer.

The EFT can have the same reference "Your Mite name VHR Frank" and I can let Barry know about it when the transfer is done. Just PM me if you want to do this and i will send you my UK bank account reference.
2016 Reis verhaal from Kruger 'Bush' Camps.. TR done
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?&t=93948
Other TR's 2015 Cape to Namibia .. 2013 Mokala & KNP ..

WYSIWIT - Photos aren't photoshop'd except for mono, sepia & cropping

barryels

Unread post by barryels » Thu May 04, 2017 3:13 pm

Thank you to the 'Mites that already requested banking details for donation purposes :thumbs_up: .
Always be humble and understanding.

iLoveMeerkats!

Unread post by iLoveMeerkats! » Thu May 04, 2017 7:43 pm

Forgive me but I always seem to have trouble when donating to causes in SA. As a US resident, my only option is to use Givengain - is that correct??? If I am donating into the SANPARKS Honorary Ranger account, how do I make sure that my donation with go to Frank's family and not the general fund?
Sorry for being so dim. Thanks for your help and thanks for setting this up. He was indeed a remarkable man who added much to our love for the park. RIP.

barryels

Unread post by barryels » Fri May 05, 2017 7:17 am

iLoveMeerkats! wrote:Forgive me but I always seem to have trouble when donating to causes in SA. As a US resident, my only option is to use Givengain - is that correct??? If I am donating into the SANPARKS Honorary Ranger account, how do I make sure that my donation with go to Frank's family and not the general fund?
Sorry for being so dim. Thanks for your help and thanks for setting this up. He was indeed a remarkable man who added much to our love for the park. RIP.

Dear iLoveMeerkats,

You are not dim at all. You have two options to donate:

1. Via givengain by using the following link: VIR - Virtual Region.
2. Via EFT by using the HR banking details that will be supplied via PM or E-mail. (Normally quite expensive for the donor)? Only applicable to overseas transactions

If you use the reference: VHR Frank followed your initials and surname, I promise, as treasurer of the Virtual Region, that it will be allocated to the correct fund on our side. Although the SANPARKS Honorary Rangers has one account monies are allocated to the different regions via abbreviations for each region. This is why it is important to use the correct reference when donations are made :thumbs_up: .

Thank you in advance for participating in this special fundraiser :thumbs_up: .
Last edited by barryels on Fri May 05, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added additional info

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Fri May 05, 2017 11:59 am

I'd like to add to what Barry has said: he does have access to the entire SHR bank statement, so does check through each transaction. Nothing gets past him :twisted: :clap:
- Dalene

iLoveMeerkats!

Unread post by iLoveMeerkats! » Fri May 05, 2017 10:18 pm

Thank you my friends. I used the givengain and it was quite easy. I could not see a place for my initials so I just wrote a note in the little message box that it was for Frank's family. I assume you will find it without any problem.

BTW, I just stumbled on this via Dalene's FB post. I wonder if it would be possible to post this on the forum Kruger page as I am sure there are others who just read that and rarely wander to the Member's Lounge. So many Kruger visitors loved Frank.

Thanks again.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Mon May 08, 2017 2:49 pm

iLoveMeerkats! wrote:I wonder if it would be possible to post this on the forum Kruger page as I am sure there are others who just read that and rarely wander to the Member's Lounge. So many Kruger visitors loved Frank.

Done

iLoveMeerkats!

Unread post by iLoveMeerkats! » Mon May 08, 2017 11:39 pm

Thanks Elsa!

bert
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by bert » Sat May 20, 2017 9:57 am

kinda lost my password and took me a while to get here .
donated

Goronta
Award: Sighting of the Year- Bird - Fish Eagle Award (2016)

Unread post by Goronta » Sat May 20, 2017 12:16 pm

I did not realized so far how easy it is to go through Givengain and the financial overhead is really less than through my bank.
Good to know :thumbs_up:
Carpe diem

KRUGER OCT 22th- NOV 1st :D
Oct 21st : Leaving Paris :dance:
Oct 23-24th : Punda Maria Safari Tent
Oct 25-29th : Pafuri
Oct 30th : Shimuwini
Nov 2nd : Back :cry:

Goronta
Award: Sighting of the Year- Bird - Fish Eagle Award (2016)

Unread post by Goronta » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:44 pm

Any update ?
Carpe diem

KRUGER OCT 22th- NOV 1st :D
Oct 21st : Leaving Paris :dance:
Oct 23-24th : Punda Maria Safari Tent
Oct 25-29th : Pafuri
Oct 30th : Shimuwini
Nov 2nd : Back :cry:

barryels

Unread post by barryels » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:16 pm

Goronta wrote:Any update ?

Thank you for the donation Goronta :thumbs_up: .

Please read HERE where everybody was thanked for their wonderful support :thumbs_up: .

Return to “SANParks VHR Wild Projects”