Skip to Content

Zoning in Kruger

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
DinkyBird

Zoning in Kruger

Unread post by DinkyBird » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:44 pm

Zoning in Kruger.

(info and slides from the presentation by the ME of Kruger at the Cape Town Management Plan meeting during May 2017)

Key issue is always to protect wilderness. (From the Management Plan under review: " Wilderness protection is guided by the SANParks Corporate policy on wilderness, which recognises wilderness as an enduring natural resource deserving the highest protection possible within South Africa's national parks. .... The “leave no trace” ethic will be applied to all wilderness uses within the KNP " )

Green (darker) zones in photos are all wilderness protected areas in Kruger.

A key focus for SANParks in the Management Plan under review is to formally protect Kruger's wilderness areas. Current legislation requires that there is no roads in wilderness areas. The park was heading in that direction, but because of the current poaching crises roads had to be reopened (service roads, not tourist). The Park is determined to register each area, and it is going to take a lot of work, but they are going to register each little block between the service roads as a wilderness area.

IMG_5191.JPG

IMG_5192.JPG
- Dalene

DinkyBird

Re: Zoning in Kruger

Unread post by DinkyBird » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:46 pm

All the development in the park: roads, all infrastructure both tourism and support; is 40 000 Ha.

You can see that area relative to the rest of the park in the pics here.

(info and slides from the presentation by the ME of Kruger at the Cape Town Management Plan meeting during May 2017)

IMG_5194.JPG

IMG_5195.JPG

IMG_5196.JPG
- Dalene

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Friedrich von Hörsten » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:40 pm

Hi Dinkybird,

Thanks for sharing. Always good to get more info about Kruger.

Do you have more facts -- I do not understand the purpose of this post completely...
-- Are they saying that the total area that has been "messed up" by man = 40 000h?
-- Are they saying they need this amount of new development to cope with poaching?
-- Yet I see a section down in the south near Skukuza that is light green -- are they developing something special there?

Any info would be welcome, since I hope to be there in 2 weeks' time.

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

Philip1
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2016)
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2015)
Award: Musketeer of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Philip1 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:58 pm

Friedrich von Hörsten wrote:Hi Dinkybird, Thanks for sharing. Always good to get more info about Kruger.
Do you have more facts -- I do not understand the purpose of this post completely...
Any info would be welcome.
God bless,
Friedrich von Hörsten

Agree with you Friedrich. :)
"Lose yourself in Nature and find Peace!" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
UNITE AGAINST POACHING...What we protect,
do not let poachers take it away!

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:59 pm

Friedrich von Hörsten wrote:Thanks for sharing. Always good to get more info about Kruger.
That is why I shared this info, I do feel that not many realise how much area is put aside for Wilderness areas = no go for any infrastructure at all. So many are not well informed and say Kruger is being overdeveloped. These are the facts as to what area in Kruger is developed, and what areas are being registered as complete Wilderness areas.

(From the Management Plan under review: " Wilderness protection is guided by the SANParks Corporate policy on wilderness, which recognises wilderness as an enduring natural resource deserving the highest protection possible within South Africa's national parks. .... The “leave no trace” ethic will be applied to all wilderness uses within the KNP " )

-- Are they saying that the total area that has been "messed up" by man = 40 000h? - yes, the total area in the park that is 'developed' is 40 000ha. Small in relation to the rest of the park.

-- Are they saying they need this amount of new development to cope with poaching? No, they are saying because of poaching they have to chop up the wilderness areas to register them as such. They had to open roads to cope with the poaching and wilderness areas can only be registered as such if there are no roads in the area. So now they will register all the blocks between the service roads (tracks) needed to fight the poaching war.

-- Yet I see a section down in the south near Skukuza that is light green -- are they developing something special there?
No, that is a representation of the total area in Kruger that is 'developed' relative to the rest of the park that is not. So one can see how much area in Kruger does not have camps, roads, support infrastructure relative to the area that does have (if compressed 'developed area' will be a total of 40 000ha). A massive area of the park is wild.
- Dalene

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Friedrich von Hörsten » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:18 pm

Hi Dinkybird,

Thank you VERY muc -- very enlightening. So in order for original wilderness areas to still be classified as wilderness areas, they have to be subdivided into smaller "wilderness blocks" between the anti-poaching service roads...

Good to see that most of Kruger is still wild!
Maybe that is one of the reasons they haven't made too many new tourist roads (remember I asked about this regarding closing of old waterholes/dames etc.) to new waterholes -- to preserve the % wilderness area needed to keep Kruger wild.

Thanks and God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:36 pm

We hear so much doom and gloom about Kruger these days (mostly on social media) that this is indeed wonderful news. :clap: :clap:

As soon as we hear about a proposed new venture (Spa, lodges, camp extensions etc) there is always so much negativity, and up go the hands protesting in panic. :shock:

Not everyone agrees with these changes, and that is of course their absolute right to do so, as most of us live in a democractic world, where can can express our views. :thumbs_up:

However before people start over exaggerating and saying that pretty soon the Kruger we love will all be gone, maybe they should look at the map, as that is obviously just not true!!! :naughty:

It seems that there is still plenty of Wilderness for our precious "wildlife" to retreat to if they wish, however if they would like to stray into the more "active" areas, I for one will be very happy to see them. :cam: :cam: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Dinkybird for posting. :gflower:
I long each day for my beloved Kruger!!!! :thumbs_up:

HawkI007

Unread post by HawkI007 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:08 am

I hope my math and sources are correct but ballpark 40,000 ha out of 2 mil ha is approx 2% - thats impressive!

Thanks DinkyBird for sharing this information!
“…when we first set up WWF, our objective was to save endangered species from extinction. But we have failed completely; we haven't managed to save a single one. If only we had put all that money into condoms, we might have done some good."

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:15 am

Nothing wrong with your arithmetic Hawk1007!!!!

2% it is indeed, which is a drop in the ocean.......there is still 98% of the park untouched!!!! :dance:
I long each day for my beloved Kruger!!!! :thumbs_up:

andretrees

Unread post by andretrees » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:22 pm

Correct me if I am wrong but according to that zonation plan there is a tar road southwest of Shingwedzi (red rocks to Shangoni) which I
was not aware existed as yet?

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:28 am

I think that is possibly the proposed new road to the Shangoni gate but not yet built.

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:37 am

andretrees wrote:Correct me if I am wrong but according to that zonation plan there is a tar road southwest of Shingwedzi (red rocks to Shangoni) which I
was not aware existed as yet?

I dont see one ... can you point it out on the maps above.

The only tar roads running from the west border to the park on the map are those from the current gates. :?
- Dalene

andretrees

Unread post by andretrees » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:47 am

On the map headed Kruger National Park Revised Zonation Plan August 2011, in your first post , the third red line from the top which touches the western boundary. Right at the top is Pafuri Gate, not far below it is Punda Gate, the next road down which touches the western boundary appears to be the current red rocks loop ( a dirt road) which is denoted as a tar road on this map and extends to the boundary. The next gate below this on the map is Phalaborwa. Hope this helps Dinkybird

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:18 am

Yes, thanks! So sorry! I was looking at the other map :redface:

Yes, that would be the proposed road to Shangoni Gate - which at this stage is going to be a gravel road from what I understand (due to cost factor); but could be wrong.
- Dalene

Return to “Kruger National Park”