Skip to Content

Camping

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
scottpbaz

Camping

Unread post by scottpbaz » Tue May 16, 2017 10:41 pm

Hello to one and all!

I'm looking at going to Kruger in August and this will be my very first time. Left this all a little late and availability is limited. Travelling solo as well so realistically I'm just looking at camping. Anyhow this might sound like a dumb question but I was just wanting to clear this up. With camping on the campsite, do they provide the tents or would I have to bring one with me?

Cheers

Stampajane
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Camping

Unread post by Stampajane » Tue May 16, 2017 11:14 pm

Hello scottpbaz and welcome.

With camping at a campsite, you have to provide your own tent and equipment.
However there are safari tents that can be booked. These are permanent tents equipped with beds, a fridge, table and chairs and a braai stand.
Hope this helps.

scottpbaz

Unread post by scottpbaz » Tue May 16, 2017 11:57 pm

Yes cheers just the confirmation I was after. The safari tent sounds ideal but like I said availability for my dates are very limited and there's only really camping left. Would like a one man tent be cheap enough to buy over there? Something to do the job then leave it behind.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Wed May 17, 2017 4:27 am

Hello Scottpbaz and welcome. :gflower:

There is no such thing as a dumb question.

When are you planning to come over? Availability often increases when deposits fall due.

You could easily buy a tent and give it to a staff member when you leave. I assume that you are travelling from a distance if you need to leave things here.

Pretorius Kop huts often become available and the one bedded hut at Lower Sabie is also really fantastic. If you give us a bit more info, perhaps we can assist you a bit more.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Wed May 17, 2017 5:27 am

Buying a cheap tent and other oddments to do the job is quite feasible. Places like Makro, Game, Checkers and Shoprite have small and inexpensive tents, chairs and other equipment - in fact the Bushbaby range at Checkers is very good. Tell us where you might want to shop and somebody will be able to tell you about shops in that area.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 8 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Wed May 17, 2017 8:54 am

I agree, it is worth it to buy a small tent, mattress, some bedding, a chair and table and cooler box. Add a few essential utensils like a mug, plate, cutlery, torch and lamp and you will have a wonderful adventure. Communal kitchens are equipped with cooking tops and hot water and sinks. Two camps that do not have electricity (Balule and Tsendze) have communal freezers, otherwise you can buy ice to keep items in your cool box cold. The shops are stocked well enough to buy food to cook on the go.

What fun!
- Dalene

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Friedrich von Hörsten » Wed May 17, 2017 9:48 am

HI scottpbaz,

Camping is definitely a good option and you could pick up a little tent for $30 easily....

BUT...

You will NOT be in Kruger during school holidays....

You WIL ALWAYS get place... I check the following:

1. Pretoriuskop ES2 huts -- you are close to Skukuza, Afsaal, Biyamiti Weir, Lake Panic. And Pretoriuekop has its own resident leopards etc.
2. TRy the BUDGET safari tents at Skukuza and Crocodile Bridge in the south, and Tamboti (NB) and Letaba further north.
3. TRy Balule... But very popular...
4. SHingwedzi further north has H3 huts that are cheaper and usually available.
NB check NOW on this site, and every morning at oh600 for updates and cancellations
Also look exactly 2 months before the time when all final payments are due -- people cancel a lot then

enjoy!

Friedrich von Hörsten

Just checked for you... Pretoriuskop has lots, Tamboti has some, Letaba, SHingwedzi and Punda Maria all have place ( Punda is expensive)... And staying in an ES2 hut for R400 is MUCh better than trying to survive in the dusty And windy August weather in a small tent for A few rands less...
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

scottpbaz

Unread post by scottpbaz » Thu May 18, 2017 1:08 am

Cheers for all the reply guys. My plan is to come from July 31-August 9 then fly out of Johannesburg on the 10th. Coming from the U.K. so I'll be travelling fairly lightly. Don't really want to be buying too much to then not being able to take it away with me. Just the bare essentials will do. Availability when I checked earlier today was all mainly camping. Plan on working my way from north to south or vice versa but like I said with how availability is its proving tricky to work out. Seems that spending at least a couple of nights at each camp site is the way to go so should be able to stay in maybe 4.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Thu May 18, 2017 8:37 am

The first weekend in August is a very busy one due to the running of the Skukuza marathon.
so this is essentially why the south of the park is so very booked up, plus the private schools are on holiday.
Kruger - 22nd May to 9th June 2017 8)

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Sun May 21, 2017 7:41 am

Elsa is right. The first Saturday in August is usually the busiest in the southern Park, due to the Skukuza half marathon. The marathon is on the 5th August and Women's day is on the 9th. Many folk take advantage of this period.

I am going to say, unless you want to watch the marathon fun, stay away from the Skukuza, Lower Sabie, Berg n Dal, Pretorius Kop area during the marathon weekend. The night of the forth will be the worst as many runners will be booked into these camps for the night. Fortunately runners tend to be well behaved on the night before, but I am not so sure about the night after. :wink:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Madalla

Unread post by Madalla » Sun May 21, 2017 4:08 pm

The option to camp is, as in any other country, more aimed at locals who have a caravan or properly equiped tent.

I looked at prices at Skukuza and camping will save you R200 per night as opposed to a safari tent. And other camps have huts available in that price range.

Now do your sums. If you put that savings i.r.o. camping off against the cost of all the equipment you will have to buy then to me there is no question. I will go for the safari tent anytime.
I have seen so many campers with this small tent and a cell phone light trying to be brave about "roughing" it out while on safari. With no chair to sit and on no fridge?
The opposite is proper comfortable accommodation with a hard floor, a decent bed, fridge etc.
Really no contest.
Enjoy your stay whatever you decide.
No thought can live in your mind rent free. Prov 4:23

Hippotragus
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Sun May 21, 2017 4:21 pm

Yes. Madalla - the permanent safari tents re a very good option - not too expensive but offer some home comforts that campers struggle to bring, if flying in from overseas.
Mokala 11-15 May 2017

Letaba 15-17 Oct 2017
Shingwedzi 17-20 Oct 2017
Punda Maria 20-14 Oct 2017

Madalla

Unread post by Madalla » Mon May 22, 2017 7:36 am

Hi Hippotragus

My grey hair entitles me up to 40% off during certain periods.

Then a safari tent in e.g. Skukuza or Tamboti comes at only R330 per night. I can get used to that!
No thought can live in your mind rent free. Prov 4:23

bridger1215

Unread post by bridger1215 » Mon May 22, 2017 8:11 am

Bringing your own camping gear is quite feasible if the rondovals are booked up. I have used a large wheeled bag that is used to transport golf clubs on the airlines. This bag easily holds an 8x10' tent, sleeping bag, air mattress and pump, pillow, a couple of ground tarps and hammer with room left over. Upon arrival I usually pick up a camp chair, power cord and cool box and I have a comfortable setup. I do get charged an extra baggage fee but is offset by the savings of camping. Good luck!

Return to “Kruger National Park”