Skip to Content

Accommodation - ask all your questions here

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
MSI

Punda Maria guest house.

Unread post by MSI » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:08 pm

I have booked the following accommodation for 2 nights in November in Punda Maria. Can anyone tell me where the cottage is located? Can't find it on the camp map? Also, any pics of the unit? Can't find any of those either. Thanks-Scott

GA4 (RUSSELL GUEST COTTAGE): 2
Bedrooms with two ¾ beds each, 2 en-suite

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Accommodation - ask all your questions here

Unread post by Hippotragus » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:50 pm

That must be the newly revamped building on the right, up the hill, as you enter the gate. When we were at Punda in May, it was still being refurbished. It has been being refurbished for a couple of years, so that is why it is not on the map yet.
Malelane 12th October 2016
Skukuza 16th October 2016
Lower Sabie 17th October 2016
Skukuza 2nd-5th March 2017
Satara 5th-8th March 2017
Tamboti 8th-11th March 2017

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:15 pm

That's right, its right at the entrance to the camp and looks very nice. :thumbs_up:

MSI

Unread post by MSI » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:08 pm

Thanks as always for the replies!

On more question-looking for your opinions...

I have 2 nights booked in the following camps and in this order:

Pretoriuskop, Olifants, Punda, Letaba, and Sabie. Finally I have 3 nights booked at Berg-En-Dal. I'm kinda thinking I may want to cancel 1 night at Berg and book a single stay in another camp. Thinking Skukuza, C. Bridge or Biyamiti? Any thoughts? Thanks!

kite
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by kite » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:38 pm

For me, 6 camps and 13 nights is more than enough! Packing and moving on limits relaxing in and around the camp.
I think you are wanting to go from the south to the north and back in one trip.
A 3 night stop in one camp will be great. It's up to you to decide if that should be at the beginning, middle or end depending on your travel plans.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:30 am

Hi MSI, I agree with Kite about single nights. It is just such a waste of time packing up and booking in. Many of the camps overlap on the roads they cover, so your itinerary looks good.

I would possibly swop the three nights in Berg n Dal for three nights in Lower Sabie though. Berg n Dal is a lovely camp, but it does not have the variety of roads found at Lower Sabie. You also have to cover a fair distance to get onto other roads. It is not always obvious looking at maps, but if you think of approximately 25 kms/hr in the Park, you are looking at a long time traveling on one road to get away from Berg n Dal.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

MSI

Unread post by MSI » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:23 pm

kite wrote:For me, 6 camps and 13 nights is more than enough! Packing and moving on limits relaxing in and around the camp.
I think you are wanting to go from the south to the north and back in one trip.
A 3 night stop in one camp will be great. It's up to you to decide if that should be at the beginning, middle or end depending on your travel plans.

Thanks for the reply. Traveling solo and being a male, I keep the packing to a bare minimum! :dance: Last year when I was in the park I found that I got "bored" with the area if staying more than 3 nights. I'm not one to lounge around camp at all, I much prefer to be out exploring the roads around camp. :D

MSI

Unread post by MSI » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:27 pm

Meandering Mouse wrote:
I would possibly swop the three nights in Berg n Dal for three nights in Lower Sabie though. Berg n Dal is a lovely camp, but it does not have the variety of roads found at Lower Sabie. You also have to cover a fair distance to get onto other roads. It is not always obvious looking at maps, but if you think of approximately 25 kms/hr in the Park, you are looking at a long time traveling on one road to get away from Berg n Dal.

Excellent point. When I was last at Berg n Dal, I only had one night and wished I had more. You are correct about having to drive quite a ways away from the camp to get to different roads. I'll look into another night in Sabie. :thumbs_up:

bondm

Unread post by bondm » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:50 pm

Hi MSI,
Berg-en-Dal is a great area for seeing the elusive leopards. Also make a trip up to Mpondo dam- it always has a good level of water and hence attracts many animals and birds. There is excellent parking close to the water and on our last visit in December a coalition of male lions were courting a female on the opposite side of the dam. Take some refreshments as when you get there you will be reluctant to leave. Bondm.

ryry2003

Unread post by ryry2003 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:41 am

Hi Bondm

We were at Berg-en-Dal in July 2013 when there was an extensive burn off of the area and sightings were minimal .

How well has the place recovered in the 3 years since.

Thanks George

Return to “Kruger National Park”