Skip to Content

Accommodation - ask all your questions here

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
DinkyBird

Re: Accommodation - ask all your questions here

Unread post by DinkyBird » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:47 pm

Hi Flori - Online Bookings open a day after the call centre; so you will be able to check from tomorrow.
Sawubona
Dalene

BLUENOSE

Unread post by BLUENOSE » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:32 pm

New here and new to South Africa for Feb to April. Landing in Jberg and planning a week or more in Kruger. We are seniors who have travelled extensively. Kruger would be first up in February. Planning to stay in huts in three different locations. I see accom. disappearing and want to act soon. I don't see too much accounting given of the huts. Plainly they are very tight, but I assume they will beat the heat and provide sleep. It seems to me that accommodation is mainly for sleeping, but I can see that a night trip to the ablution areas may cause concern. Can anyone share experience with huts (clearly with a purpose to cost cutting). Thinking of Lower Sabie, a Central camp and Punda Maria for the birds (if heat is not a factor). Have wintered in Costa Rica on the coast where temperature hits 35C every day, so not unfamiliar with heat even if Canadian, (although I do know there are different kinds of heat). Thanks.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:02 pm

Warm welcome to the forum Bluenose. :clap:

Have a look Here for an example and pics of one of the huts in Lower Sabie.
You will see they are also listed as not providing utensils so you would have to either provide your own or hire a cutlery box if available.
there is a restaurant and a reasonably well stocked shop in camp so that could always be an option.

Satara is a good central camp to choose and again Here is an example of what to expect.

but Satara to Punda Maria at 247 kms is a long drive by all accounts especially when one is driving slowly to maximise game viewing and stopping for sightings.
so you might want to consider either stopping off at one of the camps a bit further north and then on up to PM.

Moving to the ablutions at night is fine as long as you carry a good torch with you and watch where you are walking.

kari

Unread post by kari » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:44 pm

lion queen wrote:This is what they were referring to

These are needed when camping......not when you're staying in the chalets.

Visiting Kruger soon, camping in several locations. Reserved tent sites with power point to keep my cameras and laptop working. Want to recharge the batteries inside the tent. I don't quite understand the extension chord issue. How long is typically the distance from the point to the tent site? Are chords like the blue ones shown in the picture or other suitable ones sold e.g somewhere in Hazyview? Is one sufficiently long or do I still need to bring a separate, regular extension chord?

I assume the other end (the non-power point end) in the blue one above is the standard South African. Is it for 2 or 3 prong? Furthermore, does one need a splitter to share the power point outlet with a neighbor in some campgrounds?

Can't find a FAQ here addressing these questions. Thanks for helping.

-Kari

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:24 pm

Hi Kari

The distance between the power points and where you pitch your tent will vary from camp to camp. It depends on how you wish to position your tent for eg. You can choose a spot right next to a power point, or might wish to camp under some shade/close to the fence and then find you will need an extension to reach the powerpoint.

You need to buy a 'blue plug' to plug into the camping areas power points - into that you plug a 3 pin plug - which I suggest is your extension cord, which will run into your tent.

You do not need a splitter, as there is one powerpoint for each 'camping site with a powerpoint' - in the pic below that serves four camping sites. You might need an adaptor/spitter for your tent though if you want to charge more than one appliance at a time.

The shops in the bigger camps in the park sell these 'blue plugs' as do outdoor / camping shops outside the park.

20160219_090348.jpg

20160219_090358.jpg

(the blue plug and extension in pic you quoted is specifically for a caravan - the other round blue end plugs into a caravan)
Sawubona
Dalene

kari

Unread post by kari » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:31 pm

Hi DinkyBird,

and thanks for a prompt reply! Will avoid the caravan tech...

Just one further question. In your second picture, where the finger is pointing at: is that a rain proof adapter capsule that you can buy in those same shops? Inside it accepts the usual indoor South African plug?

Thanks again.

-Kari

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:05 pm

Hi Kari

Yes, the finger is holding open the flap that covers the adaptor ('the blue plug'), which makes it rain proof. Have a look here for a pic of the actual adaptor plug - it has a round male side to plug into the camp power point, and the other side takes a three pin plug. And this is what one can buy in the shops in the bigger camps in the park, or at an outdoor/camping shop.

link to pic
Sawubona
Dalene

RemiE
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RemiE » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:11 pm

Meandering Mouse wrote:
Rooikat wrote:Hi

What is safari tent number 6 in Letaba like?
(Couldn't book number 4 or 7 and are wondering which one to go for next in line?)

Thanks!

Hi Rooikat, it seems that I cannot get into the page I need :hmz: . I have stayed in the Letaba tents and I did not notice too much difference in terms of comfort, view and ease of stay. Do you have any particular concerns about tent six?

Rooikat herewith photos of Tent 6.

It is very close to the ablution, communal kitchens. It is extremely close to the fence. It is not well shaded so temperatures are extreme and I suggest you pack a seriously robust fan as the fan provided are not a match for the heat. It’s also walking distance to the pool. I highly recommend tent 6 :D :D
Attachments
DSCN8657.jpg
DSCN8659.jpg
DSCN8662.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
GLORY be to God for dappled things—Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844–89).
TR: Mother Nature’s Mood Swing – KNP 2016

Mask

Unread post by Mask » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:56 pm

Meandering Mouse wrote:
Mask wrote:Hi all,

I'm planning a stay at Marloth Park in July 2017. To see some more of the KNP, I would like to overnight somewhere so that we drive from Croc Bridge, sleep over and return the next day. What are my best accommodation options for this? Best value?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Mark, firstly, a very warm welcome. :gflower:

I do think that is a wonderful idea. I would possibly look at Olifants Camp or Letaba for an overnight stay. Both camps would introduce you to a completely different eco zone. There are also some very interesting roads that could be explored on the way there and back.

Olifants camp has the beautiful view that really is unbeatable.

If you have children, Letaba camp might be a better option, as it has lots of places to explore, as well as the Elephant museum. It is a firm favorite with many parents.

Letaba camp does have the tented accommodation. Best value around in my mind.

I cannot get into the site at the moment. :hmz: I will try to get back to you later.

Thanks for your response and advice. Is Letaba not too far up from Croc Bridge for a day's drive? How long is that drive at viewing speed?

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:03 pm

It is 210kms so quite far but of course depends how far you want to drive and the speed/stops etc.

kite
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by kite » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:30 pm

At 196 km to Letaba and 175 to Olifants, it is possible.
A good game viewing/ travelling speed seems to average 25 km an hour, so with 2 tea break/leg stretches of 30 mins and a lunch break of 60 mins at Satara, it would mean 10 hours in the car! And again the next day!

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:11 am

Kite is spot on. :thumbs_up:

Olifants is more manageable, if you do not like too much driving. It does mean that you will miss out on a different ecozone though. The Mopani country starts once you pass Olifants.

Another option is look look out for bungalow accommodation at Balule. It is the best value for money if you do not mind really rustic. It is a small, intimate camp with loads of charm. It does not have electricity though.

You would have to keep your eyes on the accommodation availability, as this is an extremely loved camp.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:13 am

Remi, those are super pictures. Thank you. :gflower:

I must say that I really love tented accommodation. For me it gives the best of camping without the hassle.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

LizanneB26

Unread post by LizanneB26 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:08 am

Good morning everyone. Very new to this forum thing... Do any of you maybe know when the online booking system will be up and running again? :hmz:

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:14 am

Warm welcome to the forum Lizanne!
Let me try and find out for you.

Return to “Kruger National Park”