Skip to Content

SAA carry on limit

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
MSI

SAA carry on limit

Unread postby MSI » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:07 pm

Hi. I'll be flying from Johannesburg to Neslpruit next Tuesday on South African Airlink departing at 9 am. Does anyone have any thoughts as how strict they are likely to be with my carry on bag weight? They only allow 15 pounds and I am over that by 6 pounds. Size wise, I am fine. Weight wise not so much. A couple DSLR bodies, lenses, iPad, GPS, batteries, it doesn't take much to add up to 15 pounds. I do not want to check my camera bag in Johannesburg. Do these flights usually run at capacity? I can imagine a lot of Kruger visitors will be on this flight.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

saraf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: SAA carry on limit

Unread postby saraf » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:44 pm

They will ask you to surrender you bag if:
    they see you are struggling to carry it;
    you cannot put it in the overhead locker
    the overhead lockers are full
I haven't had a problem but then I only have 1 body, 2 lenses and a laptop that all fit easily into a rucksack type camera bag that I can carry easily.

Usually they let you take the bag to the tarmac and they have a trolley to collect oversize cabin bags. To be honest the planes are so small that it isn't a hold as such, just a cupboard in the cabin. You then collect your bag from the tarmac at the other end. It won't go through baggage handling.

But the bottom line is they are responsible for aircraft safety and you should comply with any request made. The rules are there for a reason.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

MSI

Unread postby MSI » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:36 pm

Thank you for the reply, saraf.

I can easily handle hoisting my camera bag over my head. I would not have a problem at all with them putting my bag in the hold from the tarmac. I'm just not crazy about letting it out of my sight in the airport.

Thanks again!

saraf

Unread postby saraf » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:00 pm

Yes I feel the same way.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

kite
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby kite » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:32 pm

I think it is worth mentioning here that on domestic , eg Joburg to Durban, as well as international flights, SAA has got very strict with hand baggage! You are not allowed more than 2 pieces eg a small handbag or small laptop bag ( not a briefcase or large laptop bag) and a cabin bag measuring 56/36/23 cm. :sniper:
We were stopped at entrance to plane and were kneeling on the gangway at the entrance to plane, stuffing things into 1 bag to confirm with new rules brought in without warning while we we on our trip!
British airways has issued a similar warning and gives slightly larger dimensions of 56/45/25 cm for the cabin bag and for the handbag or laptop bag, it states 40/30/15 cm. they also state only the handbag with a yellow tag will be guaranteed to be allowed in the cabin! :rtm:
Hopefully they will be more understanding with tourists on their way to Kruger! :clap:

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:40 pm

SAA have become very strict as Kite says. I suggest that you distribute what you can into a 'handbag/laptop case' - so you will take on your camera bag, and that is within the size and weight and the rest you pack into a bag that will fit under the seat in front of your seat. They might weigh your camera bag, but should not weigh your 'handbag'.

carolv
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread postby carolv » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:16 am

We have found some airlines to be stricter than others recently but can I suggest that you wear a cargo vest (or similar) and carry some bits in your pockets eg batteries, small lenses etc. This would probably get your hand luggage closer to their weight allowance.

Timbits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Timbits » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:22 am

We've also had issues with carry-on. My bag does fit under the seat, even on the smaller planes, but it looks bigger than it actually is. It also conforms weight-wise.
I refuse to let them put it on the luggage rack that is at the bottom of the steps when you get on the plane. My bag contains camera equipment and my binoculars. I'm travelling half-way around the world to take photos. I've seen them toss those bags around like a football. : :sniper: This time I will be prepared with a cloth shoulder bag inside my carry on bag. If need be, I'll take the camera equipment out of the bag and put it in the cloth bag and take that on. :twisted: They can put my carry-on (with a change of clothes) in the luggage rack, but at least my camera will be safe. :whistle:

MSI

Unread postby MSI » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:36 pm

Thank you for the replies. I have 8 flights scheduled to get me to and around South Africa. 6 of the 8 flights I was able to book business class, both for my comfort and to allow for my camera bag. Unfortunately, SA Airlink does not offer business class for the 2-45 minute flights I have with them.

I will bring a camera vest and go that route, but I would prefer to check my bag air side if they allow it.

Thank you. Scott

Shutterbug

Unread postby Shutterbug » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:10 pm

We have done that flight every year for the past 10 years from Vancouver Island in Canada and to be quite honest the JNB-KMIA leg is the easiest of them all, never had my carry-on (which is my camera bag) weighed or questioned in any way. Once through Johannesburg security I normally take out 1 body + 100-400 lens and that goes over my shoulder, the carry-on is then locked and handed to the baggage handler as I board the plane. I have the Kata 3N1-30 which is not a small bag and most of the time I am allowed to put it in the overhead bin on the plane. In February we will be flying directly into Skukuza for the first time so lets hope that is just as easy :whistle:

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby arks » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:34 pm

Shutterbug, when was the last time that you flew in SA? These new rules -- 7kg max -- came into force this year and carryon bags seem to be weighed at the gate. Even tho mine is ultralight, it is over 7kg with my cameras plus my laptop, but I am able to put my laptop into my fairly capacious "handbag" until the wheelie has been weighed and after that, I can slip it back into the wheelie. However, I've not yet flown any of those flights from JNB to Kruger since these new weight limits came into force, but I have always gatechecked my (locked) wheelie on the tarmac for such flights and have never had any problems. Just be aware that your larger caryon is very likely to be weighed at the gate, so be prepared. This is, by the way, not an SAA regulation but one established by the SA airports authority.
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town
16-28 November Cape Town
29 November-20 January Darling

Shutterbug

Unread postby Shutterbug » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:16 pm

arks, It was in February of this year that we were there, I hope things haven't changed because there is no way I will be checking expensive camera equipment, i'm going to go look on SAA's website now to see what the penalties are for overweight, that may be my only option.

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby arks » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:20 pm

If you were OK in February you should be fine. Here's a link explaining the new regulations:

http://traveller24.news24.com/News/Pass ... s-20150129
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town
16-28 November Cape Town
29 November-20 January Darling

Shutterbug

Unread postby Shutterbug » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:15 am

Great, thanks very much arks. :thumbs_up: