Skip to Content

Can I stay in the park without a car?

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Fat Tulip

Can I stay in the park without a car?

Unread post by Fat Tulip » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:51 pm

I've been looking at some accommodation outside the parks, which will arrange pick-ups from Johannesburg, and then take you in and out of the park for game drives.

I'd much rather stay in the park, but I really don't want to hire a car - are there any options for getting from Johannesburg or a different airport into the park without driving yourself (e.g. bus/ taxi transfer) and what would be an approximate price? Once in the park, you seem to be able to book drives as activities - if I do this, will they pick me up from my actual accommodation?

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Can I stay in the park without a car?

Unread post by Friedrich von Hörsten » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:23 pm

Hi Fat Tulip,

I don't know where you are coming from, how many days you plan to stay etc...

You can fly to Kruger International Airport -- prices are expensive.
You can land at OT in Johannesburg, and catch a bus to White River for about R450 each way.
You still need to get to Kruger from there, and I do NOT know what companies charge for a trip to Kruger... have only seen adverts in Hazyview from about R600 for a day per person...

You don't need my advice, but here it is anyway.,,

Fly to OT, and hire a car -- I did it in March and paid about R200/day for 400 km/day limit with Thriftys -- I got a small Datsun Go that gave us nearly 20 km/l all the way!
That way you can drive wherever you want, whenever you want, and be totally self reliant. I would book in the cheapest options INSIDE THE PARK -- Pretoriuskop has ES2 huts (2 bed) with shared cooking/ablutions for only R375/day, Lower Sabie has EH 1 or EH2 huts with aircon for a similar price for 1 person, and about R500 for 2 bed...
Skukuza has Safari Tents for R500 -- 2 or 4 bed. That way you hear lions, hyenas and bush babies at night, and get to feel like you are in the park properly.
I bet it would be MUCH cheaper than staying outside in Hazyview and paying to be taken to Kruger. I often see those vehicles entering the park, some early, others only at about 9 or 10 am when most of the predator action is over...

Whatever you decide, enjoy it!

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

Fat Tulip

Unread post by Fat Tulip » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:38 pm

Thanks for the info on the bus to White River!

I know hiring a car will be cheaper, but I really, really don't want to do it, so I would like to be able to stay in the park, but get some form of transport to a camp/ lodge and then be picked up to be taken on drives - just want to know if it's possible?

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Friedrich von Hörsten » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:56 pm

Citybug or Lowveld Link are the two companies I could find...

I do NOT believe that you are allowed to enter the park without a vehicle...
However, I have seen people from lodges arrive in a green 4x4 safari vehicle and sleep in safari tents at Skukuza...

Hope you find what you need.
Sorry I am in Cape Town, otherwise I would have driven you around in the park... lol.

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

Fat Tulip

Unread post by Fat Tulip » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:12 pm

Lol, thanks for the offer anyway!

Oh, that could be a big problem if you're not allowed in the park without a car. I guess I'll see if I can email them to check.

RobertT
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RobertT » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:24 pm

You could fly into Skukuza and then do morning drives and evening/night drives through Sanparks from Skukuza, but you are then restricted to one camp. Alternative is to hire a car from Skukuza so you are just driving slowly and remaining in park.

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:43 pm

I would agree with Robert.

Fly from OR Tambo to Skukuza, then either hire a car at Skukuza for your self drives where you could stay at different camps fpr variety, or if you absolutley dont want to drive you can spend your whole stay at Skukuza camp and go out on guided SANParks drives from there. :thumbs_up:

Whatever you decide, I hope that you have a great trip. :dance:

inyanga 1
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by inyanga 1 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:52 pm

Fat Tulip wrote:Lol, thanks for the offer anyway! Oh, that could be a big problem if you're not allowed in the park without a car. I guess I'll see if I can email them to check.

You are not allowed into the park without a car - unless you choose to use one of the up market camps who 'may' pick you up from outside the park.

Perhapsi f you were to state:-

if you are flying into JHB/OT and then flying to KNP
if you are in J'burg and want to drive into the park

or you don't know what youe are hoping to do ..

Perhaps a fuller potential itinerary would help us to help YOU..
2016 Reis verhaal from Kruger 'Bush' Camps.. TR done
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?&t=93948
Other TR's 2015 Cape to Namibia .. 2013 Mokala & KNP ..

WYSIWIT - Photos aren't photoshop'd except for mono, sepia & cropping

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:09 pm

inyanga 1 wrote:
Fat Tulip wrote:Lol, thanks for the offer anyway! Oh, that could be a big problem if you're not allowed in the park without a car. I guess I'll see if I can email them to check.

You are not allowed into the park without a car - unless you choose to use one of the up market camps who 'may' pick you up from outside the park

I think that might be confusing Inyanga1.

Where does it say you are not allowed into the park without a car?

I would agree it is better to self drive in the park, which gives you the option to move easily from camp to camp, but if a visitor is absolutely unwilling (or unable to drive) they do have the option to fly straight into and out of the park at Skukza Airport, get a shuttle from and to the airport, and then just stay in Skukuza for the whole visit going out on SANParks guided drives. You don't have to stay in the up market camps, Skukuza camp will do just fine. :thumbs_up:

inyanga 1
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by inyanga 1 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:29 pm

CV
I merely answered the specific question..

"I'd much rather stay in the park, but I really don't want to hire a car - are there any options for getting from Johannesburg or a different airport into the park without driving yourself (e.g. bus/ taxi transfer) and what would be an approximate price?"

as far as I could...
:roll:
so maybe no more suggestions from me.... :cry:
2016 Reis verhaal from Kruger 'Bush' Camps.. TR done
http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?&t=93948
Other TR's 2015 Cape to Namibia .. 2013 Mokala & KNP ..

WYSIWIT - Photos aren't photoshop'd except for mono, sepia & cropping

isinkwe
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by isinkwe » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:46 pm

inyanga 1 wrote:You are not allowed into the park without a car -
-
Apart from it being against the law , it would be a bit of a struggle to outrun a Lion , Cheetah , Leopard , Jackal , Hyena , and various other animals , its also quite easy to be taken out by a small or large herbivore, snake, insect, a reptile and many other forms of wildlife that would all quite happily enjoy taking a bite out of you and having you for lunch, breakfast or dinner.

If you choose a self drive option , stay inside your vehicle at all times and only get out of the vehicle when in the camps or the picnic sites and designated areas.

Which ever transport mode you decide on , self or guided drive , whatever you do , have a good read of the rules and regulations of the Park , which is available at the entrance gates , they are there for a very good reason , to keep us visitors and also the wildlife safe and protected from each other.
Isn't it just amazing how potatoes give us fries and vodka? :D The rest of the vegetables should get their act together :rtm:

So when is old enough to know better supposed to kick in ? :hmz:

isinkwe
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by isinkwe » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:58 pm

oops :redface:
I do know however know you are not allowed into an entrance gate like this Image
Isn't it just amazing how potatoes give us fries and vodka? :D The rest of the vegetables should get their act together :rtm:

So when is old enough to know better supposed to kick in ? :hmz:

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:37 pm

Warm welcome to the forum Fat Tulip! :clap:
You don't say how long you intend visiting the park for?
Your best option, if as you say you really don't want to drive yourself around the park will be to fly into the Skukuza Airport and arrange a shuttle to Skukuza Camp where you will be based in one of the bungalows and then just book the guided Morning, Sunset/night drives or guided walks from there and then, during the interim time wander around the camp.
It is the largest camp in the park and has a good restaurant, shop and take-away and is also situated on the Sabie river where one can often see game from the perimeter fences.
Do also have a read through How to reach camps without own vehicle? and also Self drive or Safari Companies
Good luck and please do ask if there are further questions. :thumbs_up:

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:47 am

A warm welcome, Fat Tulip. I love your name. 8)

I wonder if UBER will be able to take you into the Park. :hmz: There is such a need for folk like yourself. I know that self drive is not always an option.

I would say that getting too and from Skukuza is the biggest hurdle. Once there, it will be a breeze to use the Skukuza facilities. It would be my choice for folk not wanting to drive. It has beautiful gardens, places of interest, such as the Museum, a lovely walk way next to the Sabie River. The organized game drives would be quite sufficient.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:21 am

I think your only realistic option is to fly into Skukuza, get a shuttle to Skukuza Camp and spend your time in that one camp. You can book morning drives, sunset drives and night drives and also morning walks. It is a busy camp but there is plenty to do and see in the camp.

Good luck with the planning and let us know how you get on.
Malelane 12th October 2016
Skukuza 16th October 2016
Lower Sabie 17th October 2016
Skukuza 2nd-5th March 2017
Satara 5th-8th March 2017
Tamboti 8th-11th March 2017

Return to “Kruger National Park”