Skip to Content

Good news -- new roads to waterholes

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Good news -- new roads to waterholes

Unread post by Friedrich von Hörsten » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:36 pm

I live 2000 km away from Kruger, and travel all the way there about 2x each year to visit such a splendid park.
During the rest of the year I satisfy my craving for Kruger by DAILY reading the latest news and threads on Sanparks.org, checking sights like Latest Sightings, and looking up the rain predictions on YR.NO to see if Skukuza and Satara are going to get some rain at last....
I also read all news snippets, and love receiving my free copy of SANPARKS TIMES. I even get a monthly Frontier News on Addo via e-mail..
How lovely to page through the latest copy of Sanparks Times today, and read about all the exciting new developments in all our parks. It makes me want to go and see all of them! lol.
After the recent drought, it was good to read the article "Waterholes not the answer to drought" by Izak Smit of SANParks Scientific Services. He showed that just like the drought in 1990, the current drought proved that most animals died of starvation, and NOT from lack of drinking water. This makes sense. We all hope the wonderful current rainy season has helped the good grasses to also recover so that the animals can make it through the coming dry season...
This article ends like this:
The tourist value of waterholes is appreciated and as such Kruger still has various operational artificial ones. In continuing to improve its tourism offering, KRUGER IS CREATING ROADS TO NATURAL WATER POOLS ALONG SEASONAL RIVERS, providing additional viewing opportunities without compromising sound ecological management.

Exciting news!
I pore over the map of Kruger regularly, and have about 5 different copies from the last 10 years. But nowhere do I see any new roads added onto these maps --they are all identical... I also remember reading similar quotes on my Kruger Park brochures the past 3 years...

In December 2016 I SAW the first new roads just north of Tshokwane -- about 150m along the river to a viewpoint overlooking a waterhole -- there was a dead hippo with hundreds of vultures feasting on it...

Plea: If somebody from SANParks (like Izak Smit) is listening out there -- PLEASE share some of your future plans for these new roads to natural water pools along season rivers with us. I would LOVE to know more about these exciting developments...so I can already imagine myself enjoying these new viewing sights before I get there!

Thank you and God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten
Last edited by Friedrich von Hörsten on Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Good news -- new roads to waterholes

Unread post by Mischief » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:49 pm

Thank you for that most interesting article Friedrich.I am in need of a new KNP map and hope to do a day trip there possibly towards month end and really hope that the latest printed maps may include some of the new roads.However maybe they will not become permanent....not sure.
Just another question how do I go about receiving a copy of the free SANPARKS TIMES?

You are most welcome to PM me with the details.
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

Cape of Storms
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger
Award: Sighting of the Year - Predator (2015)

Unread post by Cape of Storms » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:53 pm

Sounds interesting!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Trip Report July 2015 African Sky Blue, Will you bless my life?

It will be two years since our last visit but our 2017 Trip is booked 8)
25-27 July Biyamiti
27-31 July Orpen
31 July - 2 August Shimiwini
2-4 August Satara
4-7 August Olifants

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Friedrich von Hörsten » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:40 pm

Mischief,

If you are a Wild Card holder, you get their magazine quarterly, and the actual newspaper is freely available all over South Africa -- at all National Park entrance gates, at outdoor shops like Due South in the Mall etc. Just keep an eye open for them.

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten
``God, I can push the grass apart and lay my finger on your heart'' -- E. St V Millay

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:33 pm

Friedrich, if the roads you are describing are the same ones I am thinking, they are very short, basically little detours off the tar road to overlook what is usually the dry N'waswitsontso river bed passing behind Tshokwane but of course it does give one a view that is unsighted driving along the main road towards Satara.
Last year we did see two Lionesses hunting Impala from the view point but this year nothing although with all the water about not surprising.
Kruger - 16th Feb to 8th March 2017

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Friedrich von Hörsten » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:41 am

Morning Elsa,

Exactly!

What a lovely little viewing point at a strategic spot overlooking a deep pool in the corner of the riverbed...

Can't wait to discover more such options.

I did read somewhere that there is a whole new road being planned along the upper reaches of the Shingwedzi river to have a new entrance gate and camp in that area...

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

RobertT
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RobertT » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:34 am

If you are talking about the Shangoni gate road, that is going to be a 50,6 km 13.5m wide tar road, with 3 high level bridges. What do you think is going to happen on that? My opinion is it will be me a through road to Mozambique. I am not in favour of that gate and road at all and do not believe it is good news for Kruger.

Friedrich von Hörsten
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Friedrich von Hörsten » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:53 pm

RobertT

Thanks for sharing that info. There is already a tar road from Pafuri gate... and a tar road from Punda Maria gate... and a tar road from Phalaborwa gate... and a tar road from Orpen gate... and a tar road from Kruger gate... and from Phabeni... and from Numbi... so what difference will one more make?

In the south we have taxi operators and Mozambicans taking short cuts already; there are currently cars racing in past Punda daily... and many genuine tourists speeding en route to Mocambique around Letaba area...

The problem is not the roads, but rather that Sanparks develop a plan to deal with these problems. In Kgalagadi they insisted on A 2 NIGHT STOPOVER FOR ANYBODY CROSSING from Namibia to RSA or Bots, and that sorted out the problem. Just do the same here FOR EVERYBODY!

I am not writing this thread to plead for more entrance gates and tar roads... my joy comes from having natural replacements for existing waterholes/dams that have been destroyed. I see a very positive move if Sanparks are opening a tented camp along the Shingwedzi. I would love to camp there myself!

God bless,

Friedrich von Hörsten

Return to “Kruger National Park”