Skip to Content

What do you recommend?

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
slan

What do you recommend?

Unread post by slan » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:08 am

It is my First time in Africa . 17 days . 1-17th September 2016. JNB - International flights airport .
4 days in KNP , 4 days in CPT , 8 days in the Garden Route .
Last 10 days I have reserved in KNP the following .

I am considering two options:

1. Starting in KNP .
1/9 Skukuza - BD3
2/9 Orpan - BD2
3/9 Olifant - BD3
4/9 Satara - BD3B

2. KNP at the end.
For this option I have reserved:
13/9 Skukuza - LR2E
14/9 Skukuza - LR2W or Olifant - BD3U
15/9 Low Sabie - BD2
16/9 Satara - BD2N

Which reservations should I cancel concerning the weather (rain ,..) , camp sites , the bungalow type .... .?

elpaco
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: What do you recommend?

Unread post by elpaco » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:59 am

Hi slan and welcome to the forum.

You can expect the weather to be pretty much the same between these 2 so this won't be a criteria .

The riverside bungalows in Skukuza (LR2) are quite nice and have been renovated (I believe ... ???)
all the camps you chose are nice and you can expect pretty much the same equipment inside the bungalows.

What concerns me more about your options is the distance between camps.
skukuza to Orpen is a 120 kms drive. with an average speed of 25 to 30 if you want to spot animals, plus all the stops you will make to observe them and take photos, this is likely to a 5 to 6 hours drive.
then Orpen to Olifants is again more than 100 kms
not a problem of course as in September, gates will open at 6 am and close at 6 pm and you can spend most or all of the day on the roads (like many of us)
but it may be a slight issue if you want to spend some time in a hide (Lake Panic hide, near skukuza is a superb place where to spend some time) or go on a morning or sunset drive at one of the camp

furthermore I personnaly like Lower Sabie very much (wonderful view on the river, proximity of Sunset Dam ...). so I would choose option 2, which has the other advantage of 2 nights in Skukuza meaning less travelling time, nice riverside bungalows etc ...

this is just my personal opinion. :D
have a great time
I need to figure out how I can come to the KNP for 3 months
Looking for a Pel's ...

stefan9

Unread post by stefan9 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:01 pm

Personally would pick option 2 but I am a big fan of lower sabie and satara.
31 March - 3 April 2016 Berg n Dal Done
July 2017 Lower Sabie 3 nights and Talamati 3 nights

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:13 am

Hi Slan and a very warm welcome. :gflower:

Like Stefan, I am veering towards option 2. Lower Sabie and Satara are known to have the best chance for sightings. For a first time visitor, this is important. I also like Skukuza, as it is central and offers a wonderful diversity of roads. It also has other places of interest, such as the museum, the golf club, Lake Panic, Mathekenyane look out, and the nursery.

Whatever you choose, I hope that you have a wonderful time.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2015)

Unread post by George_Brits » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:20 am

Hi Slan, warm welcome to the SANParks forum! Yep I agree with Stefan and Meandering Mouse, Lower Sabie and Satara are both gems and offers a large variety wrt sigtings, landscape etc... I would recommend you go on a morning walk at Satara and obviously you can opt to partake in Sunset/night drives at all restcamps...

cheetahlady
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by cheetahlady » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:43 am

Hi Slan,

Since this is your first trip, I can understand you wanting to stay at as many camps as possible. However I think it would be better to stay a minimum of 2 nights per camp. For Satara and Skukuza, you could easily stay 3 or 4 days and travel different roads each day. I would choose option 2 and do 2 nights at Skukuza rather than Olifants. As far as bungalow type - they all are good. Not sure if they all have utensils etc. Perimeter bungalows or river view bungalows are great if available - nice to sit and watch the animals go by. At Lower Sabie - take whatever you can get. The Skukuza bungalows are both in good locations. Satara - not much difference between them unless you can get a perimeter one.

What ever you decide on, I suggest you bring a hot water thermos and travel mug as nothing beats a early morning cup of tea/coffee while parked at a waterhole (there are boiling water urns in the communal kitchens if you have a bungalow without a kitchen).

Weather: KNP - should be good. Warm to hot days, cooler overnight. Cape Town and Garden Route - this is the spring time so weather is variable. Could get late rains, or hot weather. Keep an eye on the forecast closer to departure.

Have a wonderful time.
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better
Albert Einstein

KNP June 2017 Mopani, Shingwedzi, Letaba, Satara, Pretoriuskop, Berg-en-Dal

Horrace

Unread post by Horrace » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:47 am

I whole heartedly agree with Cheetalady, particularly with regard to spending more than one night in each camp. My Perosnal experience is that not having to "move" on a daily basis make the trip far more relaxing and enables one to takes ones time if need be at a sighting, waterhole or even at the unit. You cannot go wrong in choosing Satara and Skukuza/Lower Sabie.

Both Skukuza and Lower Sabie are part of heat is called the Golden Triangle and offers exceptional opportunities for game and bird viewing.

Lower Sabie is a "nicer" camp from my perspective, but Skukuza offers more opportunities to drive different routes.

Whatever you decide, you will have an amazing trip....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ton&Herma

Unread post by Ton&Herma » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:21 pm

I would option 2 but I like lower sabie and satara but not Skukuza that camp is so busy Olifants is also a nice camp

slan

Unread post by slan » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:18 pm

There is a recommendation to go on a morning walk at Satara.
I have international flight from JNB in 21:00 same day.
Can I do it or it is too risky ?

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:16 pm

The walks are generally back in camp by 9am at the latest so if you are packed and ready to go then you will get to JHB in good time for your flight. :thumbs_up:
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 16th May - 3rd June 2016

Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

Return to “Kruger National Park”