Skip to Content

Phalaporwa gate

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
hene

Phalaporwa gate

Unread post by hene » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:43 pm

Hi,what is the latest i can get to phalaporwa gate,to reach olifants camp, in the month of april?
Catching flight to Hoedspruit, arrives 14.20,have to pick up car, then go?
Thanks

Elsa

Re: Phalaporwa gate

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:57 pm

Warm welcome to the forum Hene! :clap:

Phalaborwa Gate to Olifants camps is 84 kms which might not seem like much but at the slower speeds and any stops for sightings can eat into the allotted time.
In April the gates close at 6pm.
The map book gives you and 3 hours 20 mins at 25 kmph.
I would say as long as you are in the gate by 3pm at the latest and you keep the speed up slightly you should be OK.
Any later and you may very well find the gate officials will not allow you in or you might have to change to Letaba camp.

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:40 pm

Elsa is right about the time.........you would really need to be through the gate by 15.00 hrs. :thumbs_up:

It took us roughly an hour and a half, from when the plane landed, to driving out of Hoedspruit Airport in our rental car, last year.

That could mean nearly 16.00 hrs before you could leave Hoedspruit, and that is assuming that your plane lands on time, and that you are first in the queue for the car rentals (there was one person on duty when we were there, because it is a small airport.)

Then you have to drive Hoedspruit-Phalaborwa which takes longer than you might think, because from Mica to Phala there are many huge potholes, so you have to go really slowly in places (unless the road has been repaired of course) That will take you to maybe nearly 17.00 hrs to arrive at the gate.

If you are able, Elsa's suggestion of changing your booking to Letaba would seem sensible to me, but even then you would be pushing it to get there by 18.00 hrs

I am sorry to sound negative, but I know that area really well, and would hate for you not to have the facts, so that you can make an informed choice.

I presume you have already booked your flight, otherwise you could have flown in to Phalaborwa landing at 13.00 hrs which would have given you ample time. :thumbs_up:

Having said all that, I do hope you can come right, and have a wonderful trip. :dance:
I long each day for my beloved Kruger!!!! :thumbs_up:

johanrebel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by johanrebel » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:50 pm

Crested Val wrote:you are first in the queue for the car rentals (there was one person on duty when we were there, because it is a small airport.)

Car rental at Hoedspruit really sucks, there's no competition. I know from experience how long you sometimes have to wait.

Much better to fly straight to Phalaborwa. There's a late morning flight from JNB, which arrives shortly before 1 p.m. Small airport, small plane, few passengers, and three car rental agencies. You will be out of there in minutes. Even better, the KNP gate is just around the corner. I've done this any number of times, and I'm usually in the park by 1h30 p.m., or ten minutes later if there's a queue at reception. That includes visiting the shop to stock up on drinks and stuff.

Johan

Return to “Kruger National Park”