Skip to Content

Driving (best route) to/from Kruger

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Boslaaitie

Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger

Unread post by Boslaaitie » Thu May 28, 2015 8:57 am

Good morning.

We are driving from heidelberg gauteng to orpen gate on the morning of the 27th. My plan is to leave heidelberg at 4am to get to our beloved place.

I would just like to know, what is the safest and fastest road to get to orpen? I am driving a bakkie so no probleme with the roads.

thanx alot

Bushbuddies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bushbuddies » Thu May 28, 2015 8:15 pm

Hi Boslaaitie!

We usually drive N4 then R540 through Dullstroom, Lydenburg, R36 through Orighstad then R531 through Klaserie to Orpen.
22-25 July 2016 - Pafuri Border Camp
25-28 July 2016 - Shingwedzi
28-31 July 2016 - Olifants

RobertT
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RobertT » Fri May 29, 2015 7:54 am

Schnooks wrote:Hi Forumites :)

We are going to Letaba in June from Johannesburg and wondering what the roads are like once off the N1 and through Tzaneen to the Phalaborwa gate

Also Is there an option of going in through Kruger Gate and then up to Letaba - is that do-able if we get to Kruger Gate early? What time is suggested?

Thanks for any advise for the safest route as I am getting a tad paranoid with all the issues of stone throwing / unrest etc en route to the Park

:D

This is my preferred route for Letaba/Phalaborwa gate and above coming from Fourways area. The highway up to Polokwane is in good condition and also the road works on Magoebaskloof were finished. You just need to watch out between Polokwane and Moria, they regularly trap there especially the one section by Nobody. Then I take Magoebaskloof at split by Haenertsburg, love going down the pass and looking over the valley or even have a cup of coffee at Magoebaskloof hotel on deck overlooking the valley. Road from Tzaneen to Gravelotte is also decent, just watch out for speed trap as you enter Gravellote.

Also the reverse is good. The trip normally takes me around 5-30 minutes, I do push limits in terms of speed limits, so 6 hours or so is fair.

Bushbuddies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bushbuddies » Sat May 30, 2015 7:21 pm

RobertT wrote:

This is my preferred route for Letaba/Phalaborwa gate and above coming from Fourways area. The highway up to Polokwane is in good condition and also the road works on Magoebaskloof were finished. You just need to watch out between Polokwane and Moria, they regularly trap there especially the one section by Nobody. Then I take Magoebaskloof at split by Haenertsburg, love going down the pass and looking over the valley or even have a cup of coffee at Magoebaskloof hotel on deck overlooking the valley. Road from Tzaneen to Gravelotte is also decent, just watch out for speed trap as you enter Gravellote.

Also the reverse is good. The trip normally takes me around 5-30 minutes, I do push limits in terms of speed limits, so 6 hours or so is fair.

Thank you Robert - that answers my question too. :thumbs_up:

Boslaaitie, we drove to Dullstroom in January - and the road there (except for a small section through Belfast) was fine. The road between Lydenburg and Dullstroom has been quite potholy when we drove it before - but that was more than a year ago. Maybe someone can give you a more recent update...
22-25 July 2016 - Pafuri Border Camp
25-28 July 2016 - Shingwedzi
28-31 July 2016 - Olifants

cheetahlady
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: R71 to Phalabora

Unread post by cheetahlady » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:27 pm

Drove this route today. Road condition is good. Some roadworks between University of Limpopo turnoff and Moria turnoff. Road from Gravelotte to Phalaborwa in reasonable condition. A few small potholes.

We did see quite a few traffic police on the road generally.
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better
Albert Einstein

KNP June 2015
Mopani, Balule, Tamboti, Satara, Skukuza, Croc Bridge

Albert
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Albert » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:52 am

N1 and N12/N4
Searching for a Cape Eagle Owl....

Nkulu
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Nkulu » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:20 pm

Beautiful road all the way, I averaged about 4 hours Pretoria to Malelane - non stop.
Nkulu

I am a free spirit...Either admire me from the ground. Or fly with me...But don't ever try to cage me

Tamboti 22 & 23 April 2016
Letaba 24 & 25 April 2016 :lol:

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:52 pm

Hi john n poppy.

The N4 is in very good condition now and a pleasure to drive.

If you are driving in the early morning (don't know when you land), watch out for thick mist until Middleburg.

Also, keep to the speed limit as there are often cameras hidden in odd places!! I was once caught by one and I have no idea where they had hidden it!

Have a great trip - looking forward to a Trip Report!
Punda Maria 21-25 May 2016
Shingwedzi 25 - 28 May 2016
Letaba 28 - 30 May 2016

Albert
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Albert » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:11 pm

Sneeugans wrote:I am anxious to know the condition of the R40 between Mica and Phalaborwa. Last time we travelled on it,it was badly potholed.
We will be going to Shingwedzi from Nelspruit in 2 weeks time, and given the long distance I thought of travelling outside the park in order to make up some distance before the gates open. If it is still bad we will have to detour via Gravelotte, probably 50Km further.
If anybody has been that way lately with advice, it will be much appreciated.

I'm not sure whether this will help; we travelled that section of the R 40 in April: the road was in a far better condition than it had been about 18 months before that (then it was atrocious, large sections of the tar surface was simply non-existent, large holes extending over half the road etc etc). In April it was clear that large sections of the road had been patched fairly efficiently, and there were far fewer bad sections. Having said that, the road was still quite uneven, but OK to use, provided that you accept 80 km/h as a safe travelling speed.

The ONLY proviso that I will add is that the road carries a high volume of ore vehicles (trucks), and it is quite possible that the surface could rapidly deteriorate again.
Searching for a Cape Eagle Owl....

MKoch

Travelling to Punda Maria gate

Unread post by MKoch » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:51 am

Good morning all.

Haven't been on the forum for a long time, so I'm a bit rusty, not sure if I'm posting this in the right place.

We will be travelling to Shingwedzi coming from JHB side on the N1.

My question is : How is the road to Punda Maria gate? Or should we rather travel to Phalaborwa?

Thank you, and a good day to all.
Shingwedzi 27Feb - 1Mrt, Letaba 2-5Mrt

Manitoba

Re: Travelling to Punda Maria gate

Unread post by Manitoba » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:15 pm

Good Morning

Much saver to travel Phalaborwa to Shingwedzi. Slower but worth the while

If you use the R71 Polokwane via magoebaskloof.
Minor roadworks @ Zion City Moria, about 5 km, but not a stop and go.... at this moment of time

Enjoy :)

leervis
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Travelling to Punda Maria gate

Unread post by leervis » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:53 pm

Hi Mkoch, I do not agree that Phalaborwa gate is an option for Shinwedzi. The route we use is via Polokwane - Giyani - Punda. Good roads all the way, lots of speed traps so stay within the limit and you will save lots of time. Sandton to Phalaborwa Gate = 506 Km. Sandton to Punda Gate = 536 Km. Phalaborwa to Shing. = 136 Km. Punda to Shing. = 76 Km. Remember also that traveling in Kruger is slow, work on 20 kph so you will save about 2 to 3 hours going via Punda.
10 -13 May Berg en Dal Camping
14 May Lower Sabie Chalet
15 - 18 Pretoriuskop Camping
19 May Satara Chalet
20 - 24 May Balule Camping

1 - 7 September Balule Camping

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:42 pm

Hi BirgitJo

Yes the Schoemanskloof road is also N4. Shortly after the Machado toll plaza you will see that the N4 divides - straight on is the original road and to the left is the newer road which goes through the Schoemanskloof. We prefer the Schoemanskloof option, but it is up to you. The distance is about the same.
Punda Maria 21-25 May 2016
Shingwedzi 25 - 28 May 2016
Letaba 28 - 30 May 2016

Leaping Lizards
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Leaping Lizards » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:51 am

Hi there All

Any update on the stretch of road about 20kms before (R540) Lydenburg and 20kms after (R36)Lydenburg?

We rearranged our plans last year to avoid that stretch of road after a very scary drive in 2013. :big_eyes:

Thanks
Regards
September - Sirheni, Letaba, Talamati and Satara :P

arthas

Unread post by arthas » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:54 pm

Hello!

Leaping Lizards wrote:Any update on the stretch of road about 20kms before (R540) Lydenburg and 20kms after (R36)Lydenburg?
We rearranged our plans last year to avoid that stretch of road after a very scary drive in 2013. :big_eyes:

I drove it in May (2015) and it was OK in my opinion: there are still some potholes so it's wise to drive slow, but I saw many apparently new small tar patches so I think many potholes were fixed.
The worst potholes were actually inside Lydenburg, but one has to drive slowly there anyway.

I don't know how it was in 2013, but it was a pleasant drive last May.

Michele.

Return to “Kruger National Park”