Skip to Content

Driving (best route) to/from Kruger

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
saraf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger

Unread post by saraf » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:28 am

I think you are going to be better off carrying on up to Phalaborwa. From Eastgate up to Hoedspruit for the Pick N Pay is the opposite way to Kruger so going in at Orpen would be doubling back on yourself a few times, which i tend to find a bit irritating. Disclaimer - i haven't actually done that route so I have no idea of the road conditions.

They will probably let you buy your Wild Card at the camp rather than the gate so that should save some time. However, if this is your first Wild Card then I would suggest getting it on line before you go. That way you will have a confirmation email, rather than just a receipt (which could be mislayed) and you will have all your details already entered so your card will be sent. There have been some difficulties with people buying at the gates and camps and not entering their details online later.

Hope you have a great trip.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

spargish
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by spargish » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:13 pm

Hi Lisa

The road from Hoedspruit to Orpen is 50 odd kilometres, from the gate to Olifants is 102km(I think there may be a few more as you enter the park a few kilometres before the official gate). The road from Hoedspruit to Orpen is good, I have used it many times.

From Hoedspruit to Phalaborwa is 74kms, from the gate to Olifants is 83kms. I can't comment on the road from Hoedspruit to Phalaborwa as I haven’t driven on the road from Hoedspruit to mica, and haven’t travelled on the rest of the road for a while.

All in all the distance is pretty much the same. You did mention that the gate closing time is 17:30. That would not be the most important number to worry about though. Olifants is one of the camps that has no late access. You will need to reach Orpen/Phalaborwa before the minimum travel time cut off. From Phalaborwa the minimum travel time is 2hours and from Orpen it is 2:15hours.

So you will need to enter at Phalaborwa before 3:30pm or Orpen 3:15pm. Speaking from experience you will not be allowed to enter the park after these times. If you are worried about making these times perhaps try changing the first night of your trip to Letaba,Satara,Orpen or Tamboti .

Hope this helps, have a great trip :thumbs_up:
NO to OSV privleges! Equality for all Guests!
TR Cricket Days and last nights of Summer now on

Albert
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Albert » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:19 pm

To add to what Saraf and Spargish has already said:
The road surface from Eastgate to Orpen is good (67 km or 50 - 55 minutes).
The road surface on the section of the R 40 to Phalaborwa (the last 40 km) is poor. It was atrocious 9 months ago, it has been extensively patched fairly recently (improving it from atrocious to poor :lol: ). With the volume of heavy trucks it carries, I suspect the road surface will deteriorate quite rapidly (again). So the 75 km from Eastgate to Phala is nominally 50 minutes (according to Uncle Google), but I would say an hour is closer to the mark.
As you land at Eastgate at 11:20, you should be in your rental car and on your way at 12:00. You should therefore (shopping included) be at either Phalaborwa or Orpen gates by 14:00 at the latest.
Searching for a Cape Eagle Owl....

johanclassen

Unread post by johanclassen » Sat May 02, 2015 3:02 pm

leervis » Sat May 02, 2015 1:35 pm
The road from Polokwane - Tzaneen - Phalaborwa is good, all repairs finished, and as of today perfectly safe.

Thanks a lot Leervis, appreciated. :clap:

stephie

Unread post by stephie » Fri May 08, 2015 4:43 am

Can someone tell me the approximate driving time from Mpumalanga Airport to Skukuza driving on R40 through Phabeni Gate? Thank you.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Fri May 08, 2015 11:16 am

Warm welcome to the forum Stephie!

KMIA to Phabeni gate is about 70kms and after that a further 40kms to Skukuza!
To Kruger its around 84 kms and then only 12 kms to Skukuza.

Do also have a read through Driving KMIA to/from Kruger

Another one Distances
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 20th May - 3rd June 2016

EddieL

Safest route from Pretoria to Skukuza?

Unread post by EddieL » Sat May 16, 2015 9:41 pm

What route is safest to drive from Pretoria to Skukuza and what gate can you recommend? I recall some violent protests near Numbi last year.

Imberbe

Re: Safest route from Pretoria to Skukuza?

Unread post by Imberbe » Sat May 16, 2015 10:47 pm

I would recommend:

N4 to Nelspruit

Nelspruit to Witrivier

Witrivier to Hazyview - Take the R40 not the R538. They split just outside Witrivier and the R538 is indicated to take you to Numbi gate.

Use the Phabeni gate which is just outside Hazyview.
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

leander09

Unread post by leander09 » Mon May 18, 2015 8:04 am

Hi Eddie

I Completely agree with Imberde. We have done that road 6 times the last 5 months and it is a beautiful road. It takes about four hours from Pretoria to Phabeni gate if driving normal speed and not stopping. Just remember to take the R40.

The other option is to go to Malelane Gate which is also a very good road but with an extra toll gate that is about R60. Both roads are safe and in my opinion will take you about the same time.

Enjoy your trip
KNP the Home away from home. . .

Nkulu
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Nkulu » Mon May 18, 2015 8:39 am

As a "senior" lady driving alone :lol: I always prefer direct to Malelane.
Lovely to arrive at gate at 6am and first game drive up to Skukuza.
Nkulu

I am a free spirit...Either admire me from the ground. Or fly with me...But don't ever try to cage me

Tamboti 22 & 23 April 2016
Letaba 24 & 25 April 2016 :lol:

DinkyBird

Re: Advisory - road conditions en route to Kruger gates

Unread post by DinkyBird » Wed May 20, 2015 9:18 am

I always prefer the N4 - and in the park at Malelane. Longer in the park too then :dance:
Sawubona
Dalene

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2015)

Re: Road R71

Unread post by George_Brits » Wed May 20, 2015 6:46 pm

karibaeve wrote:Please can you let me know the condition of the road R71 from Polokwane to Phalaborwa

Hi,

The road condition is fair to good, at magoebaskloof you may find potholes (if not already filled) and you may encounter road maintenance teams along the route.

kallis1786
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by kallis1786 » Thu May 21, 2015 8:25 am

Its an awesome road to travel on to get to Phalaborwa Gate. You will encounter the odd group of potholes but ovarall very good road condition.

My little C Class can travel on that road without difficulties so you should be fine.

Enjoy your trip.

George_Brits
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger
Award: Newcomer of the Year (2015)

Re: Condition of N11 from New Castle to Kruger

Unread post by George_Brits » Tue May 26, 2015 2:35 pm

Bosveldmeisie wrote:Hi,

Will appreciate some feedback of the road condition of the N11 from New Castle till where it meets up with the N4.

On our way to Kruger in 12 sleeps :)

Thanks you
Bosveldmeisie

Hi Bosveldmeisie,

Welcome to the forums!

The road condition, according to Sanral is poor between Amersfoort and Volksrust for 51km but the rest of the route is good.

You must enjoy the trip and travel safely, we want to see pictures :cam: and a trip report :rtm: :)

Bennievis
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bennievis » Wed May 27, 2015 12:26 pm

I travelled that road 2 weeks ago and it was in tip-top shape. Just be careful on the 80km/h zone between Polokwane and Moria and stick to the speed limit.
Magoebaskloof pass has been hugely improved since I last travelled it. Haenertsburg worth a stop for a cup of coffee.
Beautiful scenery all the way from Magoebas to Phalaborwa. :thumbs_up:
(but stick to the speed limits!!)

Return to “Kruger National Park”