Skip to Content

Driving (best route) to/from Kruger

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
LauraVC

Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger

Unread post by LauraVC » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:08 pm

Hi all,
I will be driving from pretoria to either Berg-en-dal or crocodile bridge on 27th Feb, wondering if anyone can give me an estimate of how long It will take (without stops!). I havent decided yet which accomodation to book hence why Im asking about both locations just in case!

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:19 pm

Hi LauraVC.

I would say about 4 1/2 hours for Berg'nDal - drive to Malelane Gate and then a short drive to Berg'nDal.

5 hours for Crocodile Bridge - you drive to Komatipoort and the camp is right at the Crocodile Bridge gate.

The N4 is a very good, fast road. When you get the option of Schoemanskloof or the old road, take the Schoemanskloof option (to the left). There are several toll gates, but there is not normally too much of a queue.
Day visitor Malelane or Crocodile Bridge 22-26 August 2016.

AnnaVR

Unread post by AnnaVR » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:04 pm

Hi all,

This July we're staying at Ekhutuleni in Hoedspruit, and would like to undertake day visits to the Park via Phalaborwa gate.

Can recent travelers to the Park comment on comparative condition of the following two routes leading to Ekuthuleni:

Route 1: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zPvMCD_EZSh8.k19rs85h5m6s
Route 2: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zPvMCD_EZSh8.kjdHDLyoz3XM

Of particular interest are the tar roads once you've turned off the highway - haven't traveled Route 1 recently but I know it used to have some notorious patches. Any recent improvements?

RondaGreen

Unread post by RondaGreen » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:33 am

I've twice driven from Jo'burg to Kruger and am returning (from Australia) in June with nowhere near as much time available as I would like (as usual!). Just wondering if it's worth missing out on the 5-hour drive by flying to Neilspruit or Hoedspruit if its not too expensive. I'm thinking of heading first to Satara, so was thinking perhaps Hoedspruit would be best, but after my stay I'll be heading through Neilspruit. Any advice? Do the flights have a good safety record? Also thinking of visiting the little animal orphanage Daktari near Hoedspruit for a day or two before heading into the Park, but is it safe for a lone female to be driving in that area?
For half a century I looked for an excuse to visit Africa and finally said to my son "Let's just go." Never regretted it, and about to return for my third trip to Kruger.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:57 am

I am sure the flights are more expensive than driving but I think the convenience and time saved is a factor to be considered.
Here are some links that will hopefully help with the decision although I'm sure others will also help.
Hoedspruit Airport
Travelling to/from KMIA
and not sure if you are aware there are now regular flights right into Skukuza Airport

As long as you drive around during the daylight hours and stay on all the regular roads you should be safe.
Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

Pjw
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Pjw » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:46 pm

Retunn flights from OR tambo international to nelspruit cost around R2500.0.
The Toll fees on the N4 are R125.00 each way plus the cost of the e-tolls around Johannesburg of approximately r15 each way. The fuel costs will depend on what vehicle you hire. We have worked out in the past, that driving our gas guzzler (10l/100km) it is almost not worth driving if you are a single traveller (especially in your situation where i imagine you would have to hire a car?) For more than 1 person, time permitting it is more economcal to drive
"In the end we conserve only that which we love, we love only that which we understand, we understand only that which we are taught"
(Baba Dioum, Senegalese Ecologist)

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:18 am

They consists of 49 gantries on Gauteng highways. The gantries charge people by electronically identifying the number plates of vehicles that drive under them. Each time a vehicle passes, a toll is charged. The cost is determined by the kilometre distance which the gantry represents.
So basically a toll road that one doesn't stop at but gets charged electronically and an a/c is sent out.

carolv
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by carolv » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:03 pm

Well explained Elsa. For anyone driving a rental car, you are billed afterwards. On its return the rental company will raise the toll fee on the credit card which has been used for the car rental. From personal experience the charge shows on the next credit card bill after we have returned home. The only niggle is that it is all put together with any other items which are billed afterwards eg additional driver. If you need anything more exact Brawler, pm me and I will look up on my Jan bill to see the exact amount charged which I know on that occasion was an additional driver fee plus the e-toll fees from the Airport until out of Gauteng and back.
My Trip Report for Dec 2015 and Jan 2016:
https://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=91702

s2000ap

Unread post by s2000ap » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:06 pm

Brawler, the R12 isn't much in your currency and unless you are driving around in JHB, you will only be charged one or two times as you leave JHB and the same when you return. The "stop" ones along the N4 cost more of course but you pay cash as you pass through and also not to expensive for you. Did it last Year and it's pretty painless, the hire company gave me a receiver(not sure if all do) and all you hear is a ping and that's it.
They charged no "commission" for collecting.

spargish
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by spargish » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:23 pm

DinkyBird wrote:Our rental from ORT International to Phalaborwa and then back via the N4 to the airport, had a total of R100 of etolls charged to the bill.

There are of course other tolls we had to pay cash, ranging from R75 for one, to R45 for the cheaper one. I am not good at keeping records of actual prices and what we finally paid.

Did you travel to Phalaborwa via Polokwane? because if you also went via the N4 R100 is really steep for etolls :hmz:
NO to OSV privleges! Equality for all Guests!
TR Cricket Days and last nights of Summer now on

saraf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by saraf » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:35 pm

chas wrote:
Horrace wrote:Hi all, have some good friends traveling from White River to Orpen next week. Can any mites please advise on the road conditions - the last time I drove it there were road works, it was a while ago and possibly they are completed? Thanks for your input

Horrace

I would also like to know as i will be travelling that route next week!!
I might go in at Kruger Gate but i still would like to know how the roads are!

Anyone out there that can help?

OK, we were tired from an overnight flight and had just driven 4 hours from Joburg to Hazyview but never, ever again! Roads were open and in good condition (apart from where the locals had burnt tyres on the road and melted the tar) but there are so many pedestrians and livestock just stepping out in front of you unexpectedly and taxis plying for trade. Not to mention the trucks.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

saraf

Unread post by saraf » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:06 pm

Fuzzy_Ant wrote:@spargish did you ever travel the "Belfast, Dullstroom, Lydenburg to Orpen route" in Dec? Couldn't find your feedback, how were the roads, how long did it take? :)

We did this in reverse yesterday. Yes roads around Lydenberg need a lot of vigilance but they are manageable if you pay attention.

From Hoedspruit it took us 6 hours but a) we had a lot of time to kill before our flight so we didn't push it (i.e. we went under the speed limit most of the time) b) we stopped for a walk around Dullstroom and c) we had a few other "comfort" breaks.
Want to say Thank You or Well Done to a fellow 'mite? Why not nominate them for a Kudu?

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:27 am

Andrea, I can't really comment on the roads to take, not in my neck of the woods but sure you will receive info on that shortly!

Do have a read through the following topics Auto Rental advice needed and also Car choice/best vehicle/Insurance for Kruger for lots of info and advice.
Also just note you don't really need a 4WD vehicle for the regular gravel roads in Kruger, but a high clearance can be useful but not essential.
The only time you will need a 4 x 4 is if you plan on driving any of the specific 4 x 4 trails offered.

rcrRodrigo

Unread post by rcrRodrigo » Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:05 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm going to Satara on June 2015 form Pretoria with my wife and kid. According to Google Maps, the best way would be:

Take the N4 to Belfast,
Then take the R540 to Lynderburg,
Then take the R36 ,
Then take the R531 close to Hoedspruit.

I would like to know :

1- if this is a good choice of way? Or maybe, take the N4 straight to Crocodile Bridge, and then, using the roads inside the Kruger to go to Satara? According to google Maps, the time is similar (difference of 0:30 min), and on the second options, the speed limit inside the Park is 50 Km/h, but the roads are good and there is no chance to be stopped by the local police and have to pay some bribe.

2- If go through Orpen, where is a good place to buy some food like bread, fridge stuff, meat, etc before go inside the park?

Thanks

Rodrigo - Pretoria

lisa

Unread post by lisa » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:00 am

DH and I are flying into Hoedspruit Eastgate airport at 11:20AM. We need to pick up our car hire and stock up on provisions at Pick n Pay and are then driving to Olifants where we have reservations for three nights. The gate at Olifants closes at 17:30. Is it better to drive via Orpen gate or Phalaborwa? Which way is shorter? We will need to buy our Wild Card at the gate as well. Many thanks in advance.

Return to “Kruger National Park”