Skip to Content

Driving (best route) to/from Kruger

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Elsa

Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:26 am

Here you are Kahtrav

If your actual wild card has not arrived by the time of departure, just take along the receipt and that will be fine for access.

kahtrav

Unread post by kahtrav » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:30 pm

I'm check the routing from our place on the back side (east, I think) of OR Tambo to Marloth Park on Google Maps. It is showing N12, then merge with N4, but then says to take R539 for awhile back to to N4. It looks like it's shorter that way, but I'm wondering about going off the N4 as far as safe places to stop, etc. I'm assuming it's best to stop mid-way to fill the gas tank, even though we probably won't need to stop until Nelspruit unless our minivan (Avanza, maybe) has a tiny gas tank. What are the best places to stop for gas (maybe lunch) and a bit of a stretch and short walkabout? I think it would be best to have a plan since it's an unknown place (never been to South Africa). Thanks, Kahtrav

Albert
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Albert » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:26 am

Hi kahtrav,
The R 539 option is a safe and (IMHO) preferred option. The road is as good if not better than the N4 and goes via the spectacular Schoemanskloof. As you said, probably a little shorter and in many cases much quicker than the N4 on that section. On the R 539 you can also stop at the Joubert & Sons farm stall, a really nice place to stop stretch your legs and stock up with fresh fruit if needed (see Tripadvisor review for "Joubert & Seuns Padstal")
As far as other places to stop/refuel (not that it should be neccessary) would be the Shell Ultra City near Middelburg or at Milly's (between Belfast and the Machado Toll Plaza) and of course the Alzu Petroport some 40 km east of Middelburg (all on the N4).
Hope this helps!
Latest lifers: House Crow, Grey-backed Cisticola, Ludwig's Bustard, Tractrac Chat, African Reed Warbler, Black-bellied Starling, Plain-backed Pipit, Common Buttonquail, Cutthroat Finch, Freckled Nightjar

kahtrav

Unread post by kahtrav » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:00 pm

Thank you - very helpful. I have a question about tolls. Are they all cash tolls and are there toll booths where you can pay a person (and get change) or just machines? Do they take credit cards or only cash (we plan to have cash, but the CC option is sometimes helpful). Also, we are staying off Atlas Road in a neighborhood on the back side of the airport. Is the R21 right outside the airport a toll road at that point? (Google is so vague about where roads are toll roads - just says partial toll road).

The SANpark forums have been wonderful for a "newbie" traveler to South Africa. It's given us the courage to do a self-drive safari on our first trip. So excited.

/

BirgitJo

Unread post by BirgitJo » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:29 pm

Hallo kahtrav,

if you have a hired car it will have a machine inside that counts the toll around Jo´burg. If you pass one you will hear a beeep.
There are no toll gates.
The other toll gates you will pass are all with persons to wich ou can pay. I´m not sure about credit cards.
I would also take the R 539, it is a very nice and scenic route.
If you stop at Millys you can have lunch overlooking a small dam and they have good meals with trouts

carolv
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2016)

Unread post by carolv » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:13 pm

We flew back from RSA this week and travelled back to Tambo airport via Nelspruit. The Schoemanskloof pass road is busy but recommended as there are a couple of stop/go board sections if you remain on the N4 road via Waterval Boven. With regard to the tolls - we found that our rental car is now fitted with a tag and therefore you halt at the toll plazas but do not have to pay as the charge is booked to the car hire company and you will be billed on your return home.This is the first trip that we have made where this happened - our hire company was Hertz so unsure if the tag is fitted to their cars only at present or if the tags are now fitted to all rental vehicles

Return to “Kruger National Park”