Skip to Content

Driving (best route) to/from Kruger

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
chas

Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger

Unread post by chas » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:35 pm

elpaco wrote:are the works now completed on the N4 or still ongoing please ?
if it is still ongoing, what is the average delay ?

thanks

Hi Elpaco
I drove it last week Wednesday. No road works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
23 June- 1st July Camping Malelane

Hippotragus
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:20 pm

Just arrived at Malelane. Good drive on N4. When you get to the split in the N4 (just after toll) at Machadodorp - take the left fork Schoemanskloof road. There are lots of signs warning of delays on the Waterval Boven road. A few short stretches of single lane between Bronkhorstspruit and Witbank, but no delay.
Malelane 12th October 2016
Skukuza 16th October 2016
Lower Sabie 17th October 2016
Skukuza 2nd-5th March 2017
Satara 5th-8th March 2017
Tamboti 8th-11th March 2017

elpaco
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by elpaco » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:44 am

thank you guys.

I have found the Schoemanskloof road quite long (much longer than the other one at least, even with the roadworks) the last time I drove it but it was probably just a false impression fue to tiredness. I will drive this part next week ...
I need to figure out how I can come to the KNP for 3 months
Looking for a Pel's ...

Mocamps

Unread post by Mocamps » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:24 am

Have just managed to book a night at Olifants in November. :dance: :dance: We'll be driving there from Pilgrims Rest that morning.

Do any of you have tips on the best route? I'm thinking Phalaborwa Gate is probably best?

We'll have done the Panorama route the day before so we don't need to stop except for somewhere for lunch. What time do you think we need to leave Pilgrims Rest?

After Olifants we'll be going to Hazyview. Any tips for the route there? We only need to arrive by about 5pm.

Many thanks

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:00 pm

Mocamps wrote:After Olifants we'll be going to Hazyview. Any tips for the route there? We only need to arrive by about 5pm.
I can't comment on the first part of your post but for the second part en route to Hazyview I would advise to leave Olifants early and take a slow drive down inside the park and depending on time leave either at the Kruger gate or Phabeni gates.
If you pace yourself, maybe stopping off at either Satara or the newly revamped Tshokwane Picnic site for a bite to eat or pit stop then again Skukuza where you can assess the time and decide which gate to exit at. 8)

Mocamps

Unread post by Mocamps » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:17 pm

Thank you - that sounds great.

I've just been posed another dilemma as a perimeter bungalow at Berg-en-Dal seems to be available again. That was our very first choice!! - but now we've kind of got used to the idea of Olifants and seeing a very different part of the park so we're inclined to stick with what we have - or at the very most, keep looking out for a better unit at Olifants. And Letaba is right up there as well because there are several perimeter units available there.

Oh dear........decisions, decisions!! But what a nice quandary to be in!! :hmz:

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:57 pm

I would definitely stick to Olifants/Letaba choices Mocamp as you can do all the southern areas of the park as day drives from Hazyview. :thumbs_up:

Mocamps

Unread post by Mocamps » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:34 pm

Thanks Elsa,

And would you stick with a basic perimeter view at Olifants or trade up to a more expensive river view at Letaba?

Sorry to ask so many questions! - and all for one night! .......but I want to get that one night right!

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:03 pm

I think I might stick with the Olifants one Mocamps, there is a wonderful viewing deck there if the view from your bungalow is not perfect and also the restaurant has the most spectacular views of the river and gorge.
Letaba is very nice, not sure how much water will be in the river by your stay, depends on how much rain falls in the interim.

Mocamps

Unread post by Mocamps » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:01 pm

Thanks Elsa,

You have helped me a lot. I'll now just keep an eye for an upgrade at Olifants and otherwise make the most of what we have - which looks fine.

Now I just have to make sure we get there in time from Pilgrims Rest. I know that you can't help me here but perhaps someone else can. I've looked at Google maps and it looks like we can enter at either Orpen gate or Phalaborwa. We'll have already driven the Panoramic route the day before so we'll mainly be interested in just getting to the park as soon as possible. According to the park distance table it should take us about 4 hours to get to Olifants from Orpen or about half an hour less from Phalaborwa so I think either will be good.

Can anyone advise please? We want the most reliable route to the park, leaving Pilgrims Rest straight after breakfast. I'm not sure how long I need to allow for actually getting in - assuming we arrive at about midday? And also how long do we need to allow for paperwork?

And finally the good bit - the best game viewing route to Olifants.

All advice welcome - we are completely new to this - but super-excited!!

Morag

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:43 am

Morag, if you enter at Phalaborwa gate I would have a quick look/pitstop at Letaba and then time allowing, drive down on the dirt road along the river to Olifants camp, I find it more productive than staying on the tar road there.
Get yourself a map book either at the gate you enter at or at the first camp shop, then you be able to calculate distances within the park more easily.
If you decide on Orpen gate I would stick to the tar road all the way up to Olifants, have a leg stretch on the high level bridge over the Olifants river, one of the few bridges one is allowed out the car on.
Remember you can only officially get the key to your accommodation from 2pm.

Blydeboer

Unread post by Blydeboer » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:06 pm

The best route in my opinion from Pilgrims Rest to Phalaborwa would be to take the R533 towards the R36. Turn right at the T-junction on the R36 and continue through Ohrigstad down the Abel Erasmus pass through the tunnel and continue straight on the R527 at the Tzaneen turn-off towards Hoedspruit. Then through Hoedspruit, turn left on the R40 towards Phalaborwa. Continue to the R71 T-junction and turn right towards Phalaborwa. Keep straight on this road, as it will take you straight to the Phalaborwa entrance gate to the Kruger Park. It is approximately 210 kilometers and about two and a half hours drive.

Mocamps

Unread post by Mocamps » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:51 pm

Thank you so much Elsa and Blydeboer,

I've looked at the map, combined both of your tips and printed them out so we now have a route and plan for that day to go via the Phalborwa gate. I'm thinking that if we leave by 9 at the latest and drive straight to the gate, we should get there at about 11.30. I'm not sure how long the admin will take at the gate or if there will be a queue at that time(?) but hopefully if we can leave the gate by 12.30, we should be at Letaba for a break at around 2.30 (if we're running late we can leave that out if necessary). If we aim at leaving there by 3 we should be at Olifants by 4.30 and that gives us a bit of time for delays on route as I believe the gates close at 6.

Does that all sound realistic or do we need to leave earlier? ....I'm thinking we'll have breakfast first as that's included in our accommodation costs for that night. Are we allowing enough time for the gate? I have no idea whether to allow minutes or hours for the admin and possible queue??? :hmz:

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:05 pm

Hi Mocamps, your plan looks just fine.

Phalaborwa Gate is not that busy and I have always found them to be very efficient.

Letaba will be just perfect for a meal stop. Enjoy the lovely. View of the Letaba river while you munch on your midday meal.

Enjoy.,
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:09 pm

Mocamps wrote: Are we allowing enough time for the gate? I have no idea whether to allow minutes or hours for the admin and possible queue??? :hmz:
The process at the gate should not take long especially by mid morning when there should not be a queue.
You can download the Indemnity Form before hand and fill it in to save a little bit of time.
If you do want to follow the river road that I suggested from Letaba to Olifants I would not do it if pushed for time as the optimum speed on those roads is around 25-30 kmph and then you have to factor in stopping time for sightings.
Tar road 34kms where you can do 40kms if need be.
Dirt road, river route = 33 short route and the total longer scenic last piece would be about 40kms

Return to “Kruger National Park”