Skip to Content

Driving (best route) to/from Kruger

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Hippotragus
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Mon May 29, 2017 3:47 pm

The Belfast-Dullstroom-Lydenburg road usually has potholes (they fix them and then they spring up again). The road goes from Lydenburg to Ohrigstad and then over the Abel Erasmus Pass towards Hoedspruit. Before Hoedspruit you take the R531, signed Orpen Gate, Klaserie. The road is OK - there were roadworks on the Pass, don't know if they are still ongoing. Travelling in daylight and driving carefully, you should be OK.
Letaba 19 July 2017
Nyarhi Rustic Bush Camp 20-23 July 2017

Letaba 15-17 Oct 2017
Shingwedzi 17-20 Oct 2017
Punda Maria 20-14 Oct 2017

isinkwe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by isinkwe » Mon May 29, 2017 3:55 pm

Hippotragus wrote:The Belfast-Dullstroom-Lydenburg road usually has potholes (they fix them and then they spring up again). The road goes from Lydenburg to Ohrigstad and then over the Abel Erasmus Pass towards Hoedspruit.

A friend of mine recently went that way - the verdict - Never again , and he was not towing his caravan that time.
Isn't it just amazing how potatoes give us fries and vodka? :D The rest of the vegetables should get their act together :rtm:

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Mon May 29, 2017 4:50 pm

isinkwe wrote:Harry
I use Boksburg - Nelspruit - White River - R 40 to Hazyview - through Bushbuckridge to orpen. ( never speed near Bushbuckridge , very well policed)

I use that road because I tow a caravan , like you do if I remember correctly. It is only 10 KM further that the Dulstroom - lydenburg route but I find it better and faster , far less potholes and narrow mountain roads.

I agree with Isinkwe,the Belfast route is not great at all.Stick to the N4 to Nelspruit,then onto White River and then Hazyview and from there follow signs to Klaserie then on to Orpen gate.

Be sure to stick to speed limits around Hazyview area...very very often there are speed traps.Also spot checks on cars so ensure your cars licence is valid and talking or texting on cellphones is a definite night in jail.
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

harrys
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by harrys » Mon May 29, 2017 6:46 pm

Thanks for the info, looks like I'll take your advice :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
Say NO to hotels in KNP!!!
KNP: Tamboti 29 to 31 July 2017
Shingwedzi 1 to 5 August 2017

KTP: Nossob 13 to 20 November 2017

carolv
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2016)

Unread post by carolv » Mon May 29, 2017 8:50 pm

Hi Harrys

The road from Belfast is the one going via Dullstroom and Lydenburg and the pot holes were certainly not good when we drove it in March. I would agree with the route recommended by isinkwe (Nelspruit, White River, Hazyview, Bushbuckridge) but can also confirm that the police are very hot on the section from Hazyview to Bushbuckridge.

Carol

pirlet

Pafuri

Unread post by pirlet » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:02 pm

Hi,

Can anybody give any information about the R525 to Pafuri? How's the road? Apparently there's a deviation through a riverbed is it accessible to vehicles that aren't 4x4?

Thanks,

Charles

maisiebea

Unread post by maisiebea » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:36 am

hi,

This is a rather old thread so I thought that I would post again, I hope that you don't mind!
We are New Zealanders visiting Kruger for the trip of a lifetime and are so excited but also sooooooo overwhelmed by it all!
Could someone please tell us the best/fastest way from Johannesburg Airport to Hazyview? all this talk of potholes etc has got me worried, we just want a direct straight forward route please - no trailers or cavavans, just 2 Kiwis in a car who will be a bit jetlagged and star struck! :D

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:06 am

Hello maisiebea

And a very warm welcome to the Forums. :gflower: :gflower: :gflower:

The most direct route from the OR Tambo Airport
* take the R21 in direction of Boksburg/East Rand
* then stick to the N12 towards Witbank this road becomes the
* N4 straight through to Nelspruit
* take the R 40 to White River
* Stay on R 40 through to Hazyview
From Hazyview you can easily access the Kruger or Phabeni Gate.

If you have any further questions,please do not hesitate to ask.
Enjoy your trip!

maisiebea

Unread post by maisiebea » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:59 am

Thank you Mischief!
I shall print that out. No doubt I will have a hundred questions to ask, I just booked our accomodation at Satara and Tamboti camps, we are so excited! I hope that we get to see cheetahs!

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:11 am

Absolutely awesome! Sounds fantastic ....Satara and Tambotie :dance: :dance: :dance:
Any questions,you may have feel free to ask.We have lots of experienced Kruger Parkers on the Forum who will only be to happy to help where possible. :gflower:

carolv
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2016)

Unread post by carolv » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:15 pm

Mischief has given you perfect directions but I would add that the road signs all now have the revised name for Witbank which is eMalahleni. If you need actual pictures of the signs to look out for I will get SO to add them on this thread as we did a full route for the rest of a team when we came out 2 years ago for a charity.

Helol

Unread post by Helol » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:50 am

Morning all 8)

Just about to book my 2nd trip this year to KNP. As I tie this is with a trip to Swaziland, I usually book a local Swaziland Hire care, but on this occasion, I will be collecting a hire car from O R Tambo.

I do have a question, bearing in mind I am female travelling alone.

I was originally going to drive from O R Tambo (picking up car around 0700 after a good nights sleep as my flight arrives the previous night) to Malelane. I will be comfortable driving this route from O R Tambo. I was planning to enter the park at Malelane, to stay at SKU for my first night, then on to Satara.

BUT (!)....I have been thinking....

Is the road from O R Tambo to , for example Phabeni gate as good as the N4 to Malelane? If so, how many hours should I plan, leaving O R Tambo at around 0700? Is this a good entry point, bearing in mind I will stay SKU, as I don't want to rush up to Satari.

If that road is as easy as the one to Malelane, then it may change my plans on when I stay at varous camps in the park, bearing in mind, my exit points will be either Croc Bridge or Malelane as I will be then going on to Swaziland. (plan was 1 at SKU, 2 Satara, 2 LS, and the last one perhaps at BergeDal).

Many thanks. :thumbs_up:

carolv
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2016)

Unread post by carolv » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:15 am

Good morning Helol,

We also collect our hire car from OR Tambo and, for personal reasons, always spend our first night in Hazyview. We take the N12/N4 route and then follow the signs for White River as you approach Nelspruit (Mbombela), then continue through White River and onto Hazyview. Once you reach the T junction as you are also in Hazyview, you have 2 options. If you turn right and follow the road for a few Kms, then turn left you can enter at Numbi Gate. If you turn left at the T junction, continue into Hazyview and at the (I think) 3rd set of traffic lights, turn right (signposted Kruger Gate) you continue for a few Kms and there is a turn to the right for Phabeni Gate, or a further 20 mins along the road you get to Kruger Gate. We find it takes us approximately the same time to drive from Tambo to Malelane as it does to Hazyview so you would only need to add a further 10 mins for Phabeni or Numbi Gate, or 20 mins for Kruger. On rare occasions there can be a problem driving through the township before Numbi (but very very rare..we have only had to avoid this route once in 17 years). If you were going to Satara I would think Phabeni Gate would be better, or Kruger which is more time to get to the Gate and closer to Skukuza. Numbi is easy for Skukuza and lots of interesting roads to venture down .before getting to camp. If you need to do a shop before entering the Park, Hazyview has 2 big shopping malls which are either side of the road which you would take for Phabeni or Kruger Gate so no delays. If you wanted specific shops, I can pm you what is where. Both malls have large and safe car parking - In response to your note that you will be on your own.

Hope this makes sense and that it is the info you are looking for. If I have missed something, please ask!!

Return to “Kruger National Park”