Skip to Content

Driving (best route) to/from Kruger

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Albert
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Driving (best route) to/from Kruger

Unread post by Albert » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:11 pm

Sneeugans wrote:I am anxious to know the condition of the R40 between Mica and Phalaborwa. Last time we travelled on it,it was badly potholed.
We will be going to Shingwedzi from Nelspruit in 2 weeks time, and given the long distance I thought of travelling outside the park in order to make up some distance before the gates open. If it is still bad we will have to detour via Gravelotte, probably 50Km further.
If anybody has been that way lately with advice, it will be much appreciated.

I'm not sure whether this will help; we travelled that section of the R 40 in April: the road was in a far better condition than it had been about 18 months before that (then it was atrocious, large sections of the tar surface was simply non-existent, large holes extending over half the road etc etc). In April it was clear that large sections of the road had been patched fairly efficiently, and there were far fewer bad sections. Having said that, the road was still quite uneven, but OK to use, provided that you accept 80 km/h as a safe travelling speed.

The ONLY proviso that I will add is that the road carries a high volume of ore vehicles (trucks), and it is quite possible that the surface could rapidly deteriorate again.
Latest lifers: House Crow, Grey-backed Cisticola, Ludwig's Bustard, Tractrac Chat, African Reed Warbler, Black-bellied Starling, Plain-backed Pipit, Common Buttonquail, Cutthroat Finch, Freckled Nightjar

normana53
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by normana53 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:53 pm

We will be traveling from OR Tambo to Orpen Gate next Thursday, would it be better to go to Nelsruit and up through Hazyview, or go through Lydenburg? We will need to stop at a Spar or somewhere for supplies.
Dreaming of our next SANParks adventure
Do Justice, Love Kindness and Walk Humbly

arthas

Unread post by arthas » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:21 am

Hello!

The Lydenburg route is lovely, I would highly recommend it.

You can stop for supplies at the Highveld Mall in Witbank (eMalahleni).

Cheers,
Michele.

Hippotragus
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:37 pm

We left Kruger via Orpen Gate last Thursday and travelled to our farm just outside Lydenburg for the weekend and then on Monday travelled Lydenburg-Dullstroom-Belfast and then N4 home

The road from Hoedspruit to Lydenburg did have a few potholes, but was not nearly as bad as it has sometimes been! Just watch your speed so that you can avoid any potholes that do appear. Ditto the road from Lydenburg to N4 via Belfast - not as bad as it has been in the past. There was evidence of potholes having been fixed recently - good news. I gather, from the radio, that there are road works on the Bambi Inn - Lydenburg road, so turn off the N4 at Belfast, not the later option.

We shopped at the Pick 'n Pay in Hoedspruit on our way past - good selection of stuff and we got all we needed for the days at the farm.
Skukuza 1-4 March 2018 (Cricket weekend!!)
Lower Sabie 4 March 2018
Satara 5-9 March 2018

arthas

Unread post by arthas » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:27 pm

Hello!

Unless you need to shop in Hoedspruit, I suggest you cut it short following the indications to Klaserie well before you arrive in Hoedspruit: you'll save 30 minutes or so, and the road is excellent.

Cheers,
Michele.

Mfezi
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mfezi » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:04 am

Hi Everyone

I will be travelling from KNP to St Lucia soon. What will be the best route to go if I don't want to travel through Swaziland?

Thanks in advance for all the advice. :thumbs_up: :D

Bushbuck

Unread post by Bushbuck » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:47 pm

How long does it take from Biyamiti to Kruger/Neslpruit airport?

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:39 pm

I would estimate it's about 40kms or so from Biyamiti to the Malelane gate depending on which route you take and then another 60 odd to the Travelling to KMIA To/From Kruger

chirinda
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by chirinda » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:42 pm

I was talking to someone the other day who said that the road from Polokwane through Haenertsburg to Tzaneen (R71) is very nice now that the upgrade has been finished. I have not travelled this road recently, I am only repeating what someone told me.

I travelled to Orpen a week ago, turning off the N4 at Belfast and travelling on the R540 through Dullstroom to Lydenburg (Mashishing), and then on the R36 through Orighstad to the Abel Erasmus pass and on to Orpen gate.

That route was, on the whole, in good condition. There were some baby potholes both sides of Lydenburg, but nothing serious, although that was before the heavy rain we have had the last few days. I had forgotten what a pretty drive it is as you go down the escarpment.

chas

Unread post by chas » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:54 am

Hi Guys

Just to let everyone know that the R71 to Phalaborwa is not bad except the last 30 km which has 2 stop and go's, about 20 mins waiting period each.

All the Best

LindaS

Unread post by LindaS » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:49 pm

Roadworks have started on the N4, just after Hectorspruit towards Komatipoort, to widen the road.

Expected duration of the roadworks is 18 months, but apparently there will be no stop and goes.

Speed limit is reduced to 60 km, but very few drivers adhere to this. :)
A smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks

Henster

Unread post by Henster » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:34 pm

Has anyone recently driven the R36 from Lydenburg to Phalaborwa going through Ohrigstad and can comment on the condition of the road?

Apreciate your feedback.

Only 8 more (way too long) days to go!
Shimuwini: 1-3 Jul 2017
Shingwedzi: 4-5 Jul 2017
Tsendze: 6-7 Jul 2017
Punda Maria: 8 Jul 2017

Albert
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Albert » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:22 pm

Drove the road on the 2nd of June (Thursday) going from Orpen down to Belfast, so I can comment on that section. The road is fine (even very good) until you get to about 20 km from Lydenburg (from the Ohrigstad side). Coincidentally (or not?) this is the point where one goes from Limpopo intto Mpumalanga. Anyhow, the road is fine, except for the first 20 km from Lydenburg towards Ohrigstad. Just take care there and watch for potholes (observe the speed-limit!).
Latest lifers: House Crow, Grey-backed Cisticola, Ludwig's Bustard, Tractrac Chat, African Reed Warbler, Black-bellied Starling, Plain-backed Pipit, Common Buttonquail, Cutthroat Finch, Freckled Nightjar

Horrace

Johannesburg to Phalaborwa - how long?

Unread post by Horrace » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:39 pm

Greetings all. My SO has convinced me to explore the more northern parts of the Kruger, and we seriously considering spending some time at Letaba.

It seems to me theta the quickest way to get there is via Phalaborwa gate. Could anyone please advise me on how long it normally takes to get from JHB to Phalaborwa?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Horrace.

RobertT
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Johannesburg to Phalaborwa - how long?

Unread post by RobertT » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:43 pm

About 5-30 to 6 hrs. Depending on stops. It's just over 500km depending on where you are in Jhb.

Return to “Kruger National Park”