Skip to Content

VHF Radios in the park

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Kicker Cat

Re: Use of two-way radios / walkie talkies

Unread post by Kicker Cat » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:01 pm

I do not believe that the use of Cell phones is not permitted - there are many people who get the "Latest Sightings" on their Cell phones - then there are those that actually post the sightings.

If Cell phones are not permitted why are there Cell phone towers in the park - Vodacom and MTN have quite good signals in many parts of the park.

I also know that the Jeep Jockeys use radios to inform the others of sightings (these are licensed radios) so perhaps that is why they are OK.

Div

Unread post by Div » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:33 pm

As far as I am aware cellphones and two way radios are allowed. We have gone with friends and family (two cars) to Kruger and the Kgalagadi and made use of the Zartek za - 708 two way radios to communicate between the 2 vehicles.One of the passengers in the vehicle should however operate the radio.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:20 pm

I am sure the use of 2 way walkie talkies between families is not a problem.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:36 am

Imberbe wrote:Limited reception is the biggest "problem".

Exactly!

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Josh of the Bushveld » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:46 am

I was always under the impression that walkie-talkies are not allowed at all in any Sanparks park (except for the concessions)
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

squirrel_asc

Unread post by squirrel_asc » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:12 pm

We once used Zartek radios (I can't remember which model) when we were in the park with friends. It was fun to be able to communicate between vehicles, even though it only worked when we were driving together (they required line-of-sight). I really can't imagine why they would not be allowed... If you were talking about the large, long-distance radios (for which you require a license) there could perhaps be an argument for banning them (such as people speeding to distant sightings), but the small ones... why not?
"Your life becomes a masterpiece when you learn to master peace" 8)

GlenD
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by GlenD » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:17 pm

Bush Baptist wrote:Doesn't the permit say that cell phones are only permitted in camps and at gates?

Quite correct :thumbs_up:

Bush Baptist wrote:Jeep jockey radios are banned from sharing sightings.

Yeah right, I still want to see that one enforced. This still happens.

johanrebel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by johanrebel » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:52 am

According to this article http://www.tourismupdate.co.za/NewsDetails.aspx?newsId=71894#, commercial safari operators may not use two-way radios.

Johan

Penny
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Penny » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:33 am

If the use of cell phones is restricted to gates and camps what on earth is the point of continuously requesting people to phone the emergency number when required. Often one travels through areas where there is a whiff of a signal and its enough to receive text messages on a cell phone. Not all of us are privileged enough to go to the Park and never have to deal with work problems or an alarm that is going off at home.

I can categorically state that the supposed ban on the use of radios to call in sightings is being completely and utterly ignored by Outside Safari Vehicles. Sadly we have had the rough edge of their tongues at several sightings. Once at Mlondozi dam road an OSV guide was very rude to us as he thought that our vehicle was running but in fact it was the fan at the front of the old Volkswagen TDI bus that comes on when one stops. On another occasion at a mating lion sighting where the OSV arrived in their droves on the S114 we were told after having been there for 5 mins that we should move on as his guests could not see over our Kombi. Tell me how it is possible to arrive in such numbers (there must have been 13 or 14 OSV's) if it was not announced on a radio.

Sad as what is good for the goose is good for the gander!
NO BAIL - JAIL AND NO TRADE IN RHINO HORN EVER!
[color=#FF0000]NO TO BUILDING OF HOTELS IN THE KRUGER NATIONAL PARK[/color
24 Sept 2015 Hlane, 25-2 Burchells, 2-4 Elephant Plains, 4-7 Satara, 7-9 Pretoriouskop, 9-15 Ngwenya, 16 Hluhluwe
The addiction is fed once again

DSouter

Unread post by DSouter » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:12 pm

The vehicles that the outside tour operators use should be checked when entering the park and if they have a 2 way radio installed in the vehicle then they should be refused entry and the company penalised. I would say that almost every outside tour operator I have come across has had a two way radio fitted and if not then they make full use of cell phones to call each other.

I realise that they have to make a living but not at the expense of crowding out the guests who have paid large sums of money to stay in the park.

4O4-5O4
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by 4O4-5O4 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:01 pm

I say ban all cell phone 'sightings boards' too. Its sad that as documented openly in many of the trip reports, they are constantly checking up on latest sightings and creating hype around these sightings. In my opinion, it contradicts that what Kruger stands for. Go find your own lion kill and leave other people who find one alone.

Sadly, it appears not many people here have had the privilege of experiencing the Kruger of 30 years ago.

Technology has its place in the world. But ONLY in camps and outside the park.

And for those who disagree, Kruger existed for far longer just fine before cell phone reception was introduced. I would bet my bottom dollar too that the increase in animals being run over are directly proportional to the increase in real time 'sighting boards' as more and more visitors speed to reach the next sighting.

Digger

Re: VHF Radios in the park

Unread post by Digger » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:46 pm

May i carry my vhf radio to use it in case of an emergency like a engine malfunction?

If yes, whats the frequency should i program to listen?

Thanks.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:50 am

Digger, I really cannot advise re any VHF frequencies but do have a read through Breakdowns, car problems flat tyres for some info and advice.

Hippotragus
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:11 pm

Digger - I also don't know about radios.
Cell phone reception pops up in the most rote areas. Once I came across a breakdown on a remote road and promised to phone as soon as I got signal. Within 5km I was able to phone and report.
I am sure if you have a problem someone will be able to report it.
Letaba 14-17 Oct 2017
Shingwedzi 17-20 Oct 2017
Punda Maria 20-14 Oct 2017

gotaloveit

Unread post by gotaloveit » Tue May 02, 2017 8:56 pm

Surely there are more people with radios out there? And surely there must be a frequency that we can use to communicate in an emergency?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Return to “Kruger National Park”