Skip to Content

Litter, speeding and general lawlessness in Kruger....

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Mant

Re: MESSY KRUGER PARK

Unread post by Mant » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:45 am

Hi,

When we go to the Kruger we are always doing out bit to pick up any litter that we see, mostly beer bottles, sweet papers, energy drink bottles etc.

It it absolutely disgusting that someone would just throw a bottle out the window and not wait until they get back to camp to throw it in the bin.

Litter is also dangerous for the animals because they could eat and it could get stuck in their stomach.

I think the management of the Kruger has to do something about the litter problem as soon as possible because it is getting worse.

Samantha

Troupant1

Unread post by Troupant1 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:57 pm

I regard myself as a purist and I am proud of being one Therefore I do not speed, I do not litter and I respect our fauna and flora. I will also not in convenience other visitors. I have however been categorized as someone who is guilty of " delusional thinking and for whom there is no place in the 21 st centuary ".Am I still welcome in our national parks ?

Stampajane
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stampajane » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:14 pm

If everyone had the same mind set as you, Troupant1, our world would be a better place to live in.
It comes down to manners and respect.

gmlsmit
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by gmlsmit » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:28 pm

I concur:

I regard myself as a purist and I am proud of being one Therefore I do not speed, I do not litter and I respect our fauna and flora. I will also not in convenience other visitors. I have however been categorized as someone who is guilty of " delusional thinking and for whom there is no place in the 21 st century.

I visit the our National Parks very often, just maybe the handing out of the refuse bags with every entrance permit will draw those who do not care much for the environment to the fact that they are not at home where they can do as they like but entering a conservation area and should keep it litter free. I know someone will now pipe up and state that the bags are issued, not quite so, I get mine when I request it.

In the times when I was less grey one would be issued with a KNP sticker with the speed limit on, also stating that one has to stick to the road, stay in your vehicle and not litter, unfortunately since Judas had retired from the Numbi Gate this had also ceased. I recommended that this be implemented again, it was enthusiastically forwarded to SANParks by the Mods and guess what - nothing came of it.

While on the issuing of items to guests at reception, Volkswagen and Audi started the "Unite against poaching" campaign and made stickers available to the KNP entrance gates, now - nothing, the staff just shrug their shoulders in embarrassment when asked about it. Surely these stickers are not that expensive and if the authorities really mean the causes mentioned, they would make a plan.

Someone may again now pipe up and say it is on the entrance permit, yes it is, issue the stickers as well, they may further the cause, and us purists who care will have much less to moan about.
I participate because I care - CUSTOS NATURAE
No to Hotels in and commercialization of our National Parks.
No to Legalized Rhino and Lion trade.
Done 156 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Re: Littering - No respect in Kruger anymore

Unread post by Grantmissy » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:15 am

I agree that littering is on the increase in Kruger according to our experience. We saw more empty beer bottles, beer cans, beer cartons and soiled baby nappies and take way packaging when we visited Kruger for 7 days in July from Mopani to Numbi Gate. Those were the most often seen rubbish and then also the unsavory used toilet paper flapping in the wind against the bushes.

Hopefully good will, basic manners and good intentions leading to actions will exist to address this unsightly, harmful to nature and disgusting problem.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Riverrat

Unread post by Riverrat » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:50 pm

Gmlsmit makes a really good point. As kids we fought over those stickers and today as adults we still breathe the values those old stickers preached.
Dr. Kevin Azzie

RESERVES were declared to keep natural areas in their wildest form.
KEEP IT THAT WAY!!

15 Mar: Satara
21-23 March: Shingwedzi
18-21 April Balule
9 May: Sand River Bush Camp

tent dweller
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by tent dweller » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:48 am

Troupant1 wrote:I regard myself as a purist and I am proud of being one Therefore I do not speed, I do not litter and I respect our fauna and flora. I will also not in convenience other visitors. I have however been categorized as someone who is guilty of " delusional thinking and for whom there is no place in the 21 st centuary ".Am I still welcome in our national parks ?

Troupant1, lots of people have told me "to move with the times", I also do not litter/speed in the park, am not selfish at sightings, wave to passing traffic, clean up after using the kitchen/ablutions, love to chat about the sightings we experienced, do not make excessive noise when in our hut/tent, courteous on the roads and sometimes I also get the feeling that there is no place for me in the 21st century, maybe we are a dying breed :hmz: and one day will be extinct just like the dinosaurs :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
PRETORIUSKOP 20 - 21 December 2015
TAMBOTI 22 - 24 December 2015
OLIFANTS 25 - 27 December 2015 (with a view)
LETABA 28 - 31 December 2015
MOPANI 01 - 03 January 2016 (with a view)
PRETORIUSKOP 04 -06 January 2016

PNF
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by PNF » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:01 am

tent dweller wrote:
Troupant1 wrote:I regard myself as a purist and I am proud of being one Therefore I do not speed, I do not litter and I respect our fauna and flora. I will also not in convenience other visitors. I have however been categorized as someone who is guilty of " delusional thinking and for whom there is no place in the 21 st centuary ".Am I still welcome in our national parks ?

Troupant1, lots of people have told me "to move with the times", I also do not litter/speed in the park, am not selfish at sightings, wave to passing traffic, clean up after using the kitchen/ablutions, love to chat about the sightings we experienced, do not make excessive noise when in our hut/tent, courteous on the roads and sometimes I also get the feeling that there is no place for me in the 21st century, maybe we are a dying breed :hmz: and one day will be extinct just like the dinosaurs :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:clap: :clap: :clap: Add another couple of dinosaurs to the list of non-litterers; non-speeders etc.

Long Live the Dinosaurs :)
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
Benjamin Franklin

Shingwedzi 22 May - 12 June 2016

missings.a.!
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by missings.a.! » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:08 am

PNF wrote:
tent dweller wrote:

:clap: :clap: :clap: Add another couple of dinosaurs to the list of non-litterers; non-speeders etc.

Long Live the Dinosaurs :)

Perhaps you have just been brought properly! :)

I have said on here before. This littering and breakdown in standards of behaviour, has actually happened all over the world. People whose parents taught them to consider only themselves and have no regard for anyone else are everywhere and only focus on what they want and their right to do as they please.

It is unlikely that as children they were ever taken to a park to enjoy the lawns with a lake and flowers, or the countryside to saviour the scenery and view. Their parents only taught them to ensure they eject all their rubbish out of their car/pockets or handbag, to save the bother of taking it home for disposal.

missings.a.!
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by missings.a.! » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:16 am

The forumites here are very respectful of their heritage and the beauty of South Africa and it must be very painful to see humans abuse it and not even notice that the wilderness is covered in litter.

luislang
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

reporting rulebreakers

Unread post by luislang » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:27 pm

My question to Sanparks is as following. If I do report rulebreakers and submit the required proof and statement and I have to testify in court against the perpetrator. Who is going to cover all my costs like transport and accommodation as I will have to travel to Whiteriver from the Eastern Cape and will have to take leave from work to do so. At least 7 days. Or do I just get a thank you? In that case I will like most look the other way and not get involved. In my opinion this attitude of looking the other way is exactly the reason why the rulebreaking is on the increase and the rulebreakers are getting away with it untill somebody gets killed.
The golden rule of life - Do unto others as you want done unto yourself

Elsa

Re: reporting rulebreakers

Unread post by Elsa » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:12 pm

I really can't respond on the court case issues but, if you can get visible proof, preferably pics with all the details and the perpetrators are still in the park a spot fine will be issued.
This happened in the incident we reported in June last year and I have heard of several others, more recently a case near Croc Bridge where a visitor got out of her car to film an ellie and was stopped and fined at the gate, owing to the footage supplied by the person who witnessed it.
So I don't think a court case always results, maybe just in more serious cases.

Have a read Here
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 16th May - 3rd June 2016

Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

luislang
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by luislang » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:46 pm

Thanks Elsa I have read the page you refer to and there it states quite clearly that if the rulebreaker contests the issue and does not pay the fine issued you who took the photo and reported the incident will have to testify as Sanparks cannot testify in court on hearsay and on your behalf. I also follow the facebook group (Kruger Idiots) where all these incidents are reported. If Sanparks really wants to stamp out this scurge of rulebreakers and use their regular and law abiding visitors as whistle blowers they will have to come to the party and compensate us and not say it is for the courts to decide. Surely they can clear this for us with the court who also approves the fines issued. Untill I have clarity about this I will also just look the other way and try my utmost to avoid these rulebreakers which is becoming more difficult and an ever increasing anoyance for us who want to enjoy the nature in peace.
The golden rule of life - Do unto others as you want done unto yourself

VicRob

Unread post by VicRob » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:04 pm

Hi there Louislang

I would still take photos whatever you decide to do afterwards.

On our recent trip we witnessed a shocking incident where a vehicle ploughed thru a troop of baboons on the main road. Fortunately I somehow had the thought at the time to quickly take some photos,the camera always being on my lap.

First I posted here for help and everyone was just wonderful. I emailed the photos to the two addresses i was given and the Sanparks team got right on it. Some mites also posted the photos for me so they would go public.

Soon after we returned home I got sent the great news that the guy driving had been fined and charged with dangerous driving or similar.

I was so happy with the result and it was not much trouble at all, well worthwhile.
Spending more time in the best place on earth......Kruger[/color]

Biyamiti - 31-07-16
Skukuza - 02-08-16
Talamati - 05-08-16
Letaba - 07-08-16
Shingwedzi - 08-08-16
Satara - 11-08-16
Crocodile Bridge - 15-08-16
KwaZulu-Natal - 18-08-16
Home - 26-08-16

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:22 pm

Good for you VicRob! :clap:
I think every bit that we can do to help these transgressors pay the price for their sins, the better.

I have forwarded Luislang's query to SANParks PR.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 16th May - 3rd June 2016

Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

Return to “Kruger National Park”