Skip to Content

Skukuza airport

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
cheetahlady
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Skukuza airport

Unread post by cheetahlady » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:55 pm

If you have a newer wildcard, just renew it at Skukuza (or your first camp). They may even have the facility at the airport since that would be your point of entry.

We kept our card from 2 years ago and just renewed it on arrival.
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better
Albert Einstein

KNP June 2017 Mopani, Shingwedzi, Letaba, Satara, Lower Sabie, Pretoriuskop, Berg-en-Dal

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:45 pm

I called in at the airport as I drove past yesterday.

The answer on permits is that the airport operates just like a gate. If you have a reservation at a camp then you get your permit at the airport and sort out wildcard/conservation fee at the camp. If you are flying in and going to accommodation elsewhere you pay at the airport as a day visitor. (Private lodges collecting guests will usually sort this out anyway for their guests).

For the shuttle service to Skukuza there is no need to prebook, although they do suggest that prebooking at least 24 hours ahead of time is best. The cost is R250/person each way. For trips from Skukuza to the airport you need to report at least an hour before the flight check in time.

Contact details: rachelle.smith@avisbudget.co.za or telephone 083 274 5155 or 011 923 3725

Thanks so much to the friendly and helpful staff for all the information!
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 8 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:16 pm

Thanks very much EJ, that answers many questions! :thumbs_up:
Kruger - 22nd May to 9th June 2017 8)

moose

skukuza airport logistics?

Unread post by moose » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:19 pm

Hi - we're flying into Skukuza on May 22, complete with 6 year old daughter, 81 year old mother, aunt, friend. I was in Kruger last October for 8 days on the last leg of a 7week self-drive through Southern Africa, so am somewhat familiar with the park and super excited to show it to my family, if not a bit nervous doing the driving (hubbie did it all last time).

With 3 separate wild cards, multiple bungalow/camp reservations and rental car at avis -- how long will we be in airport? Our first night is Lower Sabie and we get into airport at 11 am. I can't picture the setup -- does the airport operate like a gate, and we do everything there? Is it just one large room with long lines? Once in our car-- are we at Skukuza camp, or do we drive into the park somewhere?

Any advice for making things easier/faster at the airport much appreciated. Daughter and I are coming straight in from Alaska -- so will be pretty beat and 11 hours off SA time. It'll be our 4th plane over a 36 hour transit.

One more question unrelated and greatly appreciated -- are heaters in the bungalows/cottages adequate in winter (we're staying until june 7th)? Should i bring an extra one? We're staying in order lower sabie (1 d), satara (1 d), letaba (1 d), shimuweni (2), punda(2), sirheni(2), mopani(2), olifants(2), talamiti (1), biyamiti(2).

Imberbe
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Re: skukuza airport logistics?

Unread post by Imberbe » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:56 pm

Hi

Relax ... you will have a great time! :D

The airport is very small and there will only be one flight arriving. This will make your arrival easy. You will get your papers there.

The airport is in the park and next to, but not in, Skukuza. Five minute's drive.

Lower Sabie is close to Skukuza, you will have ample time to make your way down to Lower Sabie.

You can simply go to Lower Sabie and check in at reception there. No need to go to Skukuza reception.

Winter ... what winter? :twisted: :wink: Especially if you come from Alaska!

Days should be mild to warm. Nights can be cold after say 11pm. But the air con will sort that out.

Enjoy!
Imberbe = Combretum imberbe = Leadwood = Hardekool = The spirit of the Wildernis!

Want to know more about the SANParks Honorary Rangers? Visit www.sanparksvolunteers.org

One positive deed is worth more than a thousand critical words.

Shutterbug

Re: skukuza airport logistics?

Unread post by Shutterbug » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:20 am

Hi Moose,

Just as Imberbe said it is very easy and very relaxed, as soon as you enter the airport building there is a small reception desk on your right hand side (probably manned by the nicest gentleman by the name of Johannes) he will walk you through the entry process, a couple steps away is Avis, after you have finished with Avis your bags will be waiting in the same area where you collect your Avis car, security in not a concern. It probably took the two of us a total of 15-20 minutes between entering the building and driving away.

The drive to LS from the airport is 46 kilometers, so at 30Kph you will be at LS in 1.5 hours. When you arrive at LS (and all you other camps) you will need to check in at reception, this is where you will need to show your wild cards.

The bungalows have air conditioners that can blow cool or hot air so you shouldn't have a problem there, if you plan to go on morning drives with SanParks they can be VERY cold in winter so bring a windbreaker to wear over a sweater.

I'm sure you know this but just remember that checkout is 10am checkin is 2pm, I see most of your itinerary you are only staying for one night so your 6yo & 81yo will have to be in the car (or sitting at the restaurants) each day for 4 hours, just FYI.

Have an amazing trip.
The earth has a circumference of 40 075 km and I have to travel 17 141 km to get to the Kruger, that's just not right :tongue:

Return to “Kruger National Park”