Skip to Content

Skukuza airport

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
meercatmaz

Procedure for arriving at Skukuza airport

Unread post by meercatmaz » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:46 pm

I'm looking for advice about flying from Jo'burg to Skukuza. How do I get from the airport to the camp and how early do I have to be at the airports prior to departure? I have a reservation at Skukuza for my first night and I'm planning hiring a car from there. Any help is appreciated

Elsa

Re: Skukuza airport

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:09 pm

If you hire a car then it should be waiting at the airport for your arrival and you just then drive to the camp.
When you do the rental, make sure you tell them you are flying into Skukuza.
I am not sure of how early you need to be at the airport before departure but sure if you ask them when you arrive they will be able to tell you.
Enjoy!

ctm7943

Unread post by ctm7943 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:14 am

Rented from AVIS Skukuza airport Sept 2014, but no automatic SUVs could be rented at that time.
Now I see automatic SUVs listed as available for rental & a seperate location code - SZK for Skukuza Airport and S7H for Skukuza Restcamp Reception.
Also, seperate phone numbers for both locations.
Looks like progress :clap:

Orainn

Skukuza Airport Avis - Sunday

Unread post by Orainn » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:21 pm

Hi everybody..

I'm all booked up for my first trip to Kruger in June, and really can't wait!

I will be arriving in Skukuza airport on a Sunday, and have booked a car from Avis at Skukuza airport.

I now see that the Avis office at the airport closes at 3pm on Sundays. My flight arrives at 14:10, which seems to be cutting it rather fine!

I wonder if the office hours are timed to meet the last arrival of the day, in which case it could be fine, but I'm just wondering if I should do anything about my booking.

So I guess my questions are:
- Does anybody know of an email address for a contact at the Avis airport office? I've read that I should add my flight details to the booking (not an option online); as I am abroad, email would be better than phone.
- Does anybody have any experience of hiring a car when arriving from the 14:10 flight?

Thanks in advance - this forum has been very helpful with my planning so far.

ctm7943

Unread post by ctm7943 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:04 pm

Orainn,
Skukuza airport is very small, the plane you will fly in on is small (with relatively few people) you will have your bags within 10 minutes and it is 1 minute walk to the AVIS counter from the baggage carousel.

There are now 2 location codes for AVIS: SZK = Skukuza airport S7H = Skukuza Restcamp Reception
So. if you used SZK as your pick up location, then there is no need to put your flight details within your booking/reservation.
This was previously necessary, because there was originally only 1 location code (SZK) and the pick-up location has to be defined by the flight information to seperate restcamp pick-ups from airport pick-ups.

Recommendation: The only thing you need to do is ...relax and enjoy your trip!

MarijeNL
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by MarijeNL » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:39 pm

Hello everybody,

I just booked a flight from Amsterdam to Johannesburg and a next flight to Skukuza for my October/ November visit and was wondering how strict SAA at the flight to Skukuza is with weight of hand luggage as I travel with a lot of photo gear and 8 kg is not much.
Is it safe to check in photo gear? I'm really scared to do...Or can you pay at the airport for extra hand luggage?

Thanks!

zootenval

Shuttle from Skukuza Airport to Skukuza Camp

Unread post by zootenval » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:18 pm

We are traveling to Kruger in November. Flying into SZK from JNB on Sat 21 November 2015. Will most likely not arrive in time to pick up rental car since office closes at 3 PM. We would take the shuttle from the airport to Skukuza camp. Is help available to get us from reception to our Skukuza lodging, which is Waterkant Guest House? We will have a fair bit of luggage, and from the map, it looks to be quite a walk from reception to the guest house. Thanks in advance.

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:12 pm

If you are flying in to Skuks airport and have booked a car from the airport it will be there at the airport for you. Perhaps email them and make sure your pick-up for the car is the airport and not the rest camp. There is an Avis office at the airport too now.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 8 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:15 pm

Warm welcome to the forum! :clap:
I would think if you book a vehicle from the airport, they would have it waiting there for you regardless.
but that is my own opinion.
If you have to take the shuttle I am sure it would transport you either to your booked accommodation, or your car would then be available from the camp reception?

Ok I see EJ has confirmed that your car will be available at the airport.

iLoveMeerkats!

Unread post by iLoveMeerkats! » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:09 pm

I agree that the best thing would be to contact Avis and clarify that someone will be there for you. I would be surprised if Avis won't be there to take care of you.We rented a car last Nov/Dec from them and they went out of their way to take care of us. I was so impressed with all of the Avis employees, particularly Sam. We won't hesitate to use them again.

impyim
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by impyim » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:34 am

We will be arriving at Skukuza airport next May.
Normally we would arrive at Nelspruit & go through one of the gates and purchase our Wild Card when we get to the gate.
Are we able to purchase our Wild Cards at the airport ??? If not what's our alternative. I don't wish to apply and get it sent to Australia as it never gets here or gets here very late. :hmz: :hmz:

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:57 am

Impyim, I should imagine one can purchase it at the camp as well.
but why don't you just renew on line and print out the confirmation letter which will verify your payment and use that for your trip if the card hasn't arrived by your departure time.

impyim
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by impyim » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:03 pm

Thanks Elsa - I'll probably have to do that, but as it takes about 3 months for the card to get to Australia it means that our 12 months membership is already 3 months when we get to Kruger. I'll just pay it closer to the date and use the confirmation letter.
Goodness why it takes so long for a card to get from SA to Australia though. :hmz:

Marvin

Unread post by Marvin » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:32 am

Hi
as far as I know you have to do all the entry formalities eg regarding conservation fees at Skukuza airport. You must get your permit at the airport because not any visitor arriving there will go to and stay at Skukuza camp.

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant

Unread post by Crested Val » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:31 pm

Unless they have tightened up dramatically in recent times, even if people are not staying at Skukuza, you should be able to pay at any main camp on arrival.

Rest assured when you check in at your camp, they will check your conservation fee/Wildcard status, and you will be asked to sort it out then if you have not already don e so, which is why they don't insist on payment at many of the gates. :thumbs_up:

If you have to sort it out at the airport, then that will surely not be aproblem either. :thumbs_up:

Return to “Kruger National Park”