Skip to Content

Skukuza airport

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
winnydpu

Re: Skukuza airport

Unread postby winnydpu » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:50 pm

nighthawk2 wrote:I'm trying to figure out the motivation for flying into Skukuza - especially for overseas visitors.
What am I missing?

I've made my own assessment, and I agree with you. Not worth it for me, but...

It is hard to overstate just what effect the jet-lag has on you when coming from my side of the world. After 30+ hours in transit with a 3 year old I have to take a deep breath and focus before that 4.5 hour drive. I've found that I need to make a printed shopping list because I can hardly think by the time I get to Malelane.

If I could fly in, pop out to Hazyview for groceries the next morning and get on with my trip it would be worth a certain amount. Perhaps fly in, then drive back to JNB at the end of the trip?

iLoveMeerkats!

Unread postby iLoveMeerkats! » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:46 am

nighthawk2 wrote:I'm trying to figure out the motivation for flying into Skukuza - especially for overseas visitors.
What am I missing?

Welllllllllll.....

First off, I am old and the husband is even older. Traveling long distance is hard on these old bodies. What with the long drive to the airport, 1o+ hour flight to London, layover, 10+ hour flight to JNB, we are totally and completely spent by the time we arrive. Totally jetlagged. Exhausted. Haven't slept for a zillion hours. And did I mention my aching back? There is NO WAY we could safely drive the 5 hours to Kruger after all that...it would be suicide. We could spend the night in a hotel and try and recoup, but that would cost more than the flight and, more importantly, that would be one less day in the bush.

We have spent loads of time in Joberg and driven to Kruger many many times, so I do not feel like we are missing seeing something along the way that we have never seen. All I want to do is get to Kruger as fast (and painlessly) as I can. Now I can fly into Kruger, drive 5 km and spend the rest of the day getting rejuvenated looking at the river, unpacking, chillin'. Heaven!

We always stay for at least a month, so we have plenty of time to get to the market after a few days.

What's not to understand??? :dance:

suebfly

Unread postby suebfly » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:27 am

Excellent perspective iLoveMeerkats!. For me as a South African flying from Cape Town I want to spend as little time on the roads outside of Kruger as possible - for many, many reasons.

So I am THRILLED about the Skukuza airport. Phalaborwa is wonderful but expensive. We have just spent 10 days in Kruger and did not find it necessary to leave the park for shopping at all. The shops at camps had everything we needed and with the new restaurants we were totally spoilt for choice. For me future trips are going to start at Skukuza airport every time :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread postby Crested Val » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:12 am

It's really a case of "Each to their own".

Those who want to drive to Kruger from either other SA areas or from Joburg airport will do so, and those who don't want a long drive can now fly direct to Skukuza...................the good thing is, we have a choice!!!

We have always driven in the past, but with my SO and I having various medical issues, we will most probably fly London-Joburg-Skukuza in future.

When we arrive we will buy necessities at the park shop, and eat the first night at the restaurant, and then go the following day to do a big shop outside the park.

I understand it is a bit of a faff to go back out, but Komatipoort, Malelane or Hazyview are only just the other side of the various gates, and you are still driving mostly in the park to get to them.

For us, weighed against that long drive from Joburg, that will be the way to go for us in future!!!

However, as I said.............each to their own!!! :dance:
In my beloved South Africa!!!!.

Addo Feb 2-5 2016
Storms River Feb 5-8 2016
Kruger Feb 21-Mar 10th 2016

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby arks » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:48 pm

For me, I love the funky Phalaborwa airport and for some years have only visited the northern and central parts of the park. BUT flying from Phalaborwa to Cape Town requires a change at OR Tambo and since I have two cases (because I'm generally staying in SA for 2-3 months and need 'city' clothes as well as KNP clothes :wink: ), one case is invariably lost/delayed en route :roll: with often much time wasted in locating the missing case and getting it back. Thus, the option of the direct flight SKU-CPT is most appealing!
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town
16-28 November Cape Town
29 November-20 January Darling

Weltenman
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Weltenman » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:15 pm

Crested Val used a key word, choice. That is something that SANParks want to offer visitors, a choice. If you don't want to cook, eat in a restaurant (now that proper ones are in operation in most camps), Don't want to drive? The fly in to Skukuza. Don't want to spend a fortune, camping is the way to go.

Not everyone wants to holiday in the same way and we shouldn't be forced to or force others to do it our way.
Study the past, if you would divine the future.
Confucius

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby arks » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:58 pm

Crested Val wrote:Also Arks if you really only want to stay north, you can fly directly to Cape Town from Hoedspruit airport SA Airlink (50 seater.)

They also have car hire facilities. (Maybe you already know that though!!!!) :thumbs_up:

I actually hadn't been aware of that, Val, thanks, tho my preferred final camp in the north is Shimuwini, which isn't very convenient for Hoedspruit. And I'm just plain curious to see the Skukuza airport again, since I flew from there for my Emerging Tusker prize in 2007 :-) .
RSA 2015
1-30 June Darling
30 June-8 July National Arts Festival, Grahamstown
8-15 July Mountain Zebra
16-22 July Cape Town
16-28 November Cape Town
29 November-20 January Darling

WELSH_ASH

Unread postby WELSH_ASH » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:50 am

Many thanks to ecojunkie and others for looking into these queries :thumbs_up:

I have called Avis reservations in the UK and added my flight number to the booking. Fingers crossed my Toyota Fortuner will be waiting at the airport for me :pray:

Also, to note. Before the airport Avis office opened, Avis were only able to confirm a limited amount of hire cars when booking. But now it seems an almost full range of hire cars seem to be available, e.g. Hyundai IX35, Fortuner which is a big benefit for those preferring to drive a higher sided vehicle.

4 months and counting and I will be there !!

Leanawel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Leanawel » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:01 pm

Hi WELSH-ASH

I think your Fortuner (and yes, we drive a Fortuner and it is a nice high vehicle for the bush and gravel roads) will be at the airport. I have also made a booking for next week, putting the flight number at the reference space, but when my confirmation came via email, I could not see the flight number. So I called this morning, but the agent told me that he can see the flight number on his side and therefore knows that the car must be at the airport.

Compliments to the staff of AVIS, they are extremely friendly and helpful :gflower:

Enjoy counting down, mine almost here, still 6 days to go :dance: :dance:

Leana
Skukuza 8 July / Hamiltons Tented Camp 9-12 July

ctm7943

Skukuza Airport To Skukuza Rest Camp

Unread postby ctm7943 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:29 pm

I am unsure of the exact location of the airport. I recently read that Paul Kruger gate is closed. Is the airport inside of the park (no gate entry necessary)?
I am picking up my AVIS car @ the SKU airport and am not sure if the gate closure affects me.

RobertT
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Skukuza Airport To Skukuza Rest Camp

Unread postby RobertT » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:35 pm

:thumbs_up: airport is inside the park, gate closure won't affect you.

ctm7943

Unread postby ctm7943 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:55 pm

Thank you RobertT.
I believe I read about some sort of gate/park entry pass that is provided as you enter the park and show your accommodation reservations documentation.
Is this correct or is this pass only needed if exiting the park & require re-entry?

DinkyBird

Unread postby DinkyBird » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:41 pm

You do also need a permit; I am not sure if they will give you this at the airport, or when booking in. They usually issue these when one enters the gates.

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:22 pm

I picked up guests at the airport on Thursday for the bush camp. The staff at the airport check in-coming passengers and issue any permits etc. I am not sure of the procedure as our guests did not need anything in fact, but somebody did come to check us.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 6 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Bush Baptist
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Skukuza car hire - help please

Unread postby Bush Baptist » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:42 am

Hi all, I am intending to fly into Skukuza and want to hire a car there.

Google is not very helpful and neither is the SANParks website.

1. What is the procedure? Do you hire cars at Skuk airport or are you driven to the camp to hire them there?
2. What operators operate from there?
3. Do they have an option of more than 100 km per day which is pretty useless in Kruger.

Or is far more cost effective to fly to KMIA and hire there.

I would rather fly into Skuk though, but if it is made 'difficult'......

Thanks for any info.
Whatever (according to BB): "You are correct but I don't want to admit it".

Return to “Kruger National Park”