Skip to Content

Two Aussie Girls got to Kruger Again

Tell us about your breathtaking experiences in the parks
Dijo
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Two Aussie Girls got to Kruger Again

Unread post by Dijo » Tue May 23, 2017 9:59 am

Why did the two Aussie Girls go to Kruger again, and in February when they said -" never again in the wet weather...."

Well here is the storey: -

Life dealt us a slightly curved ball and we had to make a last minute unexpected journey to South Africa. We booked our tickets (aren’t the interwebs wonderful) on the 16th and left after work on the 19th of January.

People who know me, know that I like to plan. I do not like to ‘wing it’ and see what happens, I like a nice structure to my holiday. So booking a trip 3 days before I leave was a little stressful for me. But, I thought, if I am going all that way, I am jolly well going to have a little holiday at the end. So right after booking the airfare I am on to the KNP website (oh so wonderful) and frantically trying to book some accommodation. Of course February is not really a busy time so it was not so bad. Daughter and I sat down and thought a little… Where did we want to go, where did we not want to go and what did we want to achieve.

We wanted to stay at a few camps we had not been to before.
We did want a few days at Letaba for R and R.
Maybe we should try Lower Sabie again.
We have a few animals and birds we wanted to get better pictures of. (as usual)
And we did not want to rush.

So I booked a few camps and made a route plan, booked some leave from work, packed our bags, booked plane and train tickets and set off. I will tell you more about the rush planning after a few pictures. The storey may jump around a bit 'cos I do not want to bore with too many words when there are PICTURES.

Getting to Cape Town was a BIG DRAMA, which I will tell you about soon. But while in CT we did manage to squeeze in a few side trips. We did a quick trip up to Clanwilliam to buy some shoes, back through the mountains, then over and through and around the Cape Mountains to De Kelders, then back the Cape Town. Here are a few little taste pictures of the cape. Please note : the sun is shining, there is no rain.

Next I will tell you more of my planning dramas and a few more pictures, then we are off north.
Last edited by Dijo on Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kendall M

Re: Two Aussie Girls got to Kruger Again

Unread post by Kendall M » Tue May 23, 2017 11:19 am

Dijo, I'm on board & ready for your last min.com trip :popcorn:

I hope what bought you to SA wasn't something sad or tragic :hmz:

:lol: Mishaps & drama ALWAYS make for good stories & memories...as long as you can look back & laugh about it :whistle:

Can't wait for your next episode :D
:dance: Next Planned Trip to Kruger :dance:

Easter 2018
Letaba: 21 - 25 Mar
Tamboti: 25 - 29 Mar
Lower Sabie: 29 Mar - 2 Apr

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)

Unread post by hilda » Tue May 23, 2017 11:34 am

Glad to see the Two Aussie Girls visited Kruger again Dijo! :dance: :dance:

Interesting start to your trip report! Love those two kitties helping with the packing! The ginger one's face says it all! :wink:

Beautiful scenery shots of the Cape! Looking forward to your next episode! :dance: :dance:
"It is during our darkest moments that we must focus to see the light". Aristotle Onassis.

Jockv

Unread post by Jockv » Tue May 23, 2017 1:33 pm

This is gonna be a very interesting trip......................mind if I get on board?? :dance: :dance: :dance:

The look on the kitty's face is priceless......if looks could kill :evil: :evil: :evil: :sniper: :sniper: :sniper:
The voices are telling me to go...........the sooner the better !!!

billyf
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by billyf » Tue May 23, 2017 1:42 pm

Somehow those holidays planned and booked at short notice end up being the best. Hope this was true in your case too :pray:
Will be following your trip closely, hope there's space on the bus :dance: :dance: :dance:
See you started your holiday in my neck of the woods, doing Clarence drive :thumbs_up:
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :thumbs_up:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

Karin Mitton
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Tue May 23, 2017 2:27 pm

Sounds pretty eventful so far. Beautiful photos of our fairest Cape.
Cant wait to hear more!
:popcorn: :popcorn:

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hugh » Tue May 23, 2017 2:52 pm

On the bus too .... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
When you are dissatisfied and would like to go back to your youth, think of algebra … !!!!!

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Tue May 23, 2017 3:31 pm

Great start to your travel tale Dijo :clap: :clap: :clap: . I am looking forward reading more :thumbs_up:
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Cape of Storms
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Cape of Storms » Tue May 23, 2017 3:38 pm

Yes! I on board for this one.
Trip Report July 2015 African Sky Blue, Will you bless my life?

“Safari life makes you forget all your sorrows and feel as if you had drunk half a bottle of champagne — bubbling over with heartfelt gratitude for being alive.”Karen Blixen

jjames04
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by jjames04 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:25 am

Cool picture of the fog coming over the mountains. Looking forward to the rest of your TR.

Kaapsedraai
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Kaapsedraai » Wed May 24, 2017 9:05 am

Dijo, great news that you managed to visit SA and Kruger again and look forward to learn more about your trip :lol: :dance:

You surely must have enjoyed a view of our beloved TM, not so :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My cats also do the same thing - they just love those suitcases....and one feels so bad to remove them, not so :?

Lovely scenes from your quick visit to the Cape region - I am on board this trip of yours. :thumbs_up:
"Everything I do, is exclusively my appreciation for the love of nature and showcase my Creator's creation".

Pikkie

Unread post by Pikkie » Wed May 24, 2017 9:32 am

Hi Dijo,

I live for these on the spur of the moment trips!! :lol:

I love the adrenaline rush, and believe you me that these trips always turn out to be the best!

Waiting in great anticipation for your TR.
BOSKIND

Dijo
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Dijo » Wed May 24, 2017 12:47 pm

Thanks for all the kind comments.

Kendall M - The short notice trip was slightly sad, but inevitable, my aged parents have had to move into higher care and their cottage needed the big sort out. A very big sort out. I think the cottage sort out was far more depressing than the moving into care !

Cats - I see many of you know the problem, get the suitcase out and some cat will give you baleful and accusing stares and others will take up occupation !!

More TR in a mo.

Kendall M

Unread post by Kendall M » Wed May 24, 2017 12:55 pm

Oh Dijo, I'm sorry to hear that! At least your folks will get the care they need & get a chance to meet new people :wink: Packing up is always hard - it's not so much the house itself, but the memories it holds along with the things you accumulate...And memories last a lifetime :gflower: I hope you got to take some of things home with you to Aus :D
:dance: Next Planned Trip to Kruger :dance:

Easter 2018
Letaba: 21 - 25 Mar
Tamboti: 25 - 29 Mar
Lower Sabie: 29 Mar - 2 Apr

Dijo
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Dijo » Wed May 24, 2017 1:01 pm

Getting to South Africa - a Great big DRAMA

Well - it did not start as a big drama, just like normal, first a train to Sydney followed by that heavy going 14hr Qantas flight to Johannesburg.

Now the dramas really start. Off the plane, join the endless queues and ‘no, you cannot come to SA, you don’t have a visa’ What, I have been traveling to South Africa for many years and never needed a visa, "sorry madam, but the law changed on the 16th of January and now you need a visa. Sorry, you are off on the plane back to New Zealand." New Zealand ? you ask. Well, although we live in Australia we travel on Kiwi passports and Kiwiland and South Africa had a political disagreement and now we need a visa. Worse than that, we need to get a visa from the Embassy in NZ. And in person ! So we should have flown to NZ, driven to Wellington, filled in all the forms from the embassy, driven back to Auckland, then flown back to Sydney etc You cannot get the visa from the SA embassy in another country. [since then they have changed we can get a visa from the SA embassy in Canberra]

What now ........

First I say "well if I cannot go to SA I want to go to Namibia, I am not getting back on to that horrid plane again for a while." Into the little offices, and many hours of discussion and so on, we were given a visa. By now we had missed our connecting flight and had to find somewhere to stay in JHB. I must tell you – the staff were very pleasant, understanding and helpful. They even phoned a BnB for us and arranged collection. It is political issue not an immigration one.

Next morning we flew into Cape Town.

While in Cape Town we fitted in a few very important outings. Kirstenbosch Botanic Garden, who, I am sure have the best hot chocolate and layered coffee in the world. Daughter is curranty researching where she can get the best hotchoc, she has been trying from the tropics to the arctic and antarctic. Currently Kirstenbosch is first, closely followed by Svalbard ! [Maybe it is just an excuse to go travelling....]

Of course there are also views ; -

and animals

amoungst all the wonderful plants.

Then a short stop in the afternoon to look at THE VIEW, Table Mountain's mood today

NOTE : The sun is shining

During the evening of our last night in Cape Town we walked up Lions Head to watch the sun set.

Tomorrow we leave for Kruger - let us hope there are no more drama.
Last edited by Dijo on Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Travel Tales”