Skip to Content

''If you don't enjoy life, just drop dead!''

Tell us about your breathtaking experiences in the parks
Jabulile

Unread post by Jabulile » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:24 pm

A few weeks ago my husband and I went away for the weekend to Marakele with people we have never met before. He and I just took an invite from someone I met recently under intense circumstances. It turned out to be one of the best weekends we've had all year.

We were camping of course. Even though we just took the chance of going with on very short notice we did not take the weather in to account. And the people we were camping with are hard core campers, so nothing would stop them from camping in the rain or in the cold or in our case in the hail!

These people we were camping with seemed to have known each other for years. Good friends like you wouldn't believe. That's where things got a bit weird. The one said to the other: ''Can you believe this is only the fourth time we've met each other?''. How can you explain that? They were 'kuiering' as if the saw each other every second weekend. And that is where a whole new world was introduced to me.

They told me about the SanPark forums and how they all either met online or at a forum meeting. I could not believe this. My husband and I are a bit younger than the rest of the company we were camping with, but we definitely did not feel like it.

One night we were standing next the fire, my husband, the famous Isinkwe and the now very interested Jabulile(me). Isinkwe is the youngest at heart, full of life. He could not stop talking about how everybody should just enjoy life. Life is a gift, and he kept on telling me to smile more. What Isinkwe did not know is that I am suffering from a mental illness and tried to commit suicide more than I can remember in the past few months. And here came Isinkwe with his exclamation: ''If you don't enjoy life, just drop dead!''.

My husband and I off course started giggling, since that is what we have been going through this whole year. As soon as he found this out he kept on kicking his own ass with is own foot and saying words I can not repeat here!!! :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

But the best thing about this story is that that whole weekend cured me. I felt like living again, and Isinkwe's words are now my anthem.

Thanks to WendyA (my very good friend who invited us), Isinkwe, Morecat, Porridge and Jaxidean

So here's to all the people that find game watching therapeutic; here's to all the people that find good company therapeutic; here's to all the people that can stay friends even though they don't see each other as much as they would want to; here is to living life to the fullest.

And remember, ''If you don't enjoy life, just drop dead!'' :wink: :wink: :wink:

Over to you WendyA, Isinkwe, Morecat, Porridge and Jaxidean ...

More from me to follow ...
Last edited by Jabulile on Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:note: Jabulile :note:

DinkyBird

Re: ''If you don't enjoy life, just drop dead!''

Unread post by DinkyBird » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:35 pm

Oh wow, I am not often at a loss for words on the forums, but your post is so moving, touching and amazing Jabulile ! Welcome to the forums!!

Here is to you, your SO and the group of amazing forumites you went camping with !!

Cannot wait to hear more of this weekend together.
- Dalene

salamanda
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by salamanda » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:03 pm

What an amazing start to a TR. Jabulule your immersion in the camping weekend and the lessons you learned and are ready to share are just fantastic. Looking forward to more from all of you.

billyf
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger

Unread post by billyf » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:23 pm

Oh my goodness, what an introduction - and welcome to the forum where you will meet the nicest, most interesting, and in your case the most amusing and friendly mites :gflower:

I would love to see a pic of Isinkwe trying to kick his own ass :lol: :lol: And he certainly needs his ass kicked by somebody :tongue:

Looking forward to more of your Marakele weekend experiences. :thumbs_up:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

WendyA
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by WendyA » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:17 pm

Woo Hoo!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Jabulile has started her TR and I am FINALLY back on the forums! As those who know me - personally or just from the forum - I haven't posted for AGES (and that's an understatement)! My work just took over my life, so much so that I ended up having a nervous breakdown in February (hence the reason I wasn't at the cricket this year).

In Jabulile's opening paragraph she said she and her SO just took an invite from someone she met recently under intense circumstances. That "someone" is me, but I must also thank Porridge and Jaxidean, who were the ones who invited me along for a weekend in Marakele to celebrate Porridge's birthday and who said "Yes, of course!" when I asked if I could bring a couple of friends along!

With Jabulile's permission I am going to explain a little further ...

Jabulile explained that she is suffering from a mental illness and tried to commit suicide more than she can remember in the past few months. A month after my breakdown, not having made any steps towards recovery, my GP referred me to a psychiatrist. During my appointment with the psychiatrist, I must have gone through half the box of the tissues on her desk. She promised me that she and the psychologist she had in mind for me, between them, would get me on the road to recovery.

Both she and the psychologist operated out of Denmar, a psychiatric hospital in Pretoria. I had heard of Denmar before, but only that it was a "Loony Bin". However, I was desperate to get better and had faith in the psychiatrist so, on her recommendation, went into Denmar. I expected to see people walking around in straitjackets or in hospital gowns muttering away to themselves ... how very narrow minded of me.

They were the best three weeks of my life! (Ok, maybe the three weeks I spent in Kruger in September 2010 - my TR http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=48237 refers - were the best three weeks of my life ... so my 3 weeks in Denmar Psychiatric Hospital were the 2nd best three weeks of my life!). I met great people, the most special of whom is my "baby girl" Jabulile! She wasn't kidding when she said "My husband and I are a bit younger than the rest of the company ..." - she could be my daughter (or Isinkwe's grand-daughter!!!)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The saying I use the most and truly believe is "Everything Happens For A Reason". We both ended up in the "Loony Bin" - as I refer to it now, very "tongue in cheek"; we met; we became great friends, and are now both helping each other out ... and guess what Isinkwe??? We are both enjoying life so won't be going anywhere to "Just Drop Dead"!

It's been a long time since I've sat here typing with a smile on my face and it's GREAT!!!
:imsmilin: :imsmilin: :imsmilin:

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:01 pm

WendyA - you are definitely some of kind of very special Angel :k It is SO SO SO good to have YOU back, and so sorry for the terrible ordeals you have been through :k You are a fighter and a winner!
- Dalene

Jesscan1
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Jesscan1 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:56 pm

Hi WendyA. Great to hear that you enjoyed your trip. If anyone can bring fun and laughter into your lives, it is Isinkwe. Who can be sad, when he is around. He gets us all laughing. Thinking of you. BIG hug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Jesscan1 on Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Karin Mitton
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Karin Mitton » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:39 pm

What an amazing and inspirational story!
WendyA, Jabulile, i wish both of you only the very best on your journeys to stay well.

And as for isinkwe - No one who has ever met him can ever be the same again - and only in a good way!

RosemaryH
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by RosemaryH » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:51 pm

Wow Jabulile welcome to the SANparks Forum! What an amazing start to your TR. So glad you found WendyA & Co. and they found you and you ended up here and, and, and.....

WendyA wrote:It's been a long time since I've sat here typing with a smile on my face and it's GREAT!!!

GREAT to have you back here WendyA :k :gflower:

DinkyBird wrote:WendyA - you are definitely some of kind of very special Angel :k It is SO SO SO good to have YOU back, and so sorry for the terrible ordeals you have been through :k You are a fighter and a winner!

Ditto, ditto :D

:popcorn: :popcorn:
Rose

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:59 am

RosemaryH wrote:Wow Jabulile welcome to the SANparks Forum! What an amazing start to your TR. So glad you found WendyA & Co. and they found you and you ended up here and, and, and.....

WendyA wrote:It's been a long time since I've sat here typing with a smile on my face and it's GREAT!!!

GREAT to have you back here WendyA :k :gflower:

DinkyBird wrote:WendyA - you are definitely some of kind of very special Angel :k It is SO SO SO good to have YOU back, and so sorry for the terrible ordeals you have been through :k You are a fighter and a winner!

Ditto, ditto :D

:popcorn: :popcorn:

I agree and add to the above quotes.

This is a very magic place with some very magic people. I had been wondering where this lively, committed WendyA had gone. I thought that her very busy work had swallowed her up.

It is nice to have you back. :gflower: I look forward to your humor and lively presence. Yes, and there are special places of healing.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

salamanda
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by salamanda » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:07 am

So good to see you back Wendy A; your meeting with Jabulile is a wonderful and positive story . Strength and happiness to you both.

Nkulu
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Nkulu » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:24 am

Welcome Jabulile :gflower: and welcome back WendyA :k
Isinkwe, well done :clap:
Jaxidean and Porridge, proof that the forum family is the best :thumbs_up:

The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God.
Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be.
The secret of happiness is to count your blessings, while others are adding up their troubles

Tamboti 20-25 September 2017

Jesscan1
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Jesscan1 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:48 am

Love the saying Nkulu. So true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hilda
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by hilda » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:22 am

What a great start to a trip report! A warm welcome to the forums Jabulile! :clap: :clap:

So glad to see you back here too WendyA! :clap: :clap:

This is such a wonderful, positive story, an inspiration to each and everyone! Forumites rock! :dance: :dance:

Jabulile and WendyA, all the very best for the two of you. You go from strength to strength on your road to a full recovery! :clap: :clap:

Can't wait for the next episode! :dance: :dance:
"It always seems impossible until it is done." - Nelson Mandela.

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:26 am

Thank you for this positive and feel good start Jabulile :D :clap: :clap: :clap:
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Return to “Travel Tales”