Skip to Content

Kruger Park picnic turned into nightmare when gang of men shot monkeys with paintball gun

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
gmlsmit
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Kruger Park picnic turned into nightmare when gang of men shot monkeys with paintball gun

Unread post by gmlsmit » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:01 am

http://lowvelder.co.za/347406/kruger-pa ... tball-gun/

SKUKUZA – When Mr Jonathan Parker of Centurion in Pretoria decided to take his grandmother to the Tshokwane Camp in the Kruger National Park (KNP) last Sunday, they were looking forward to a quiet day sitting under the trees with his family to enjoy the park.

But soon, what should have been a picnic close to the riverbed, turned into a nightmare for his grandmother, who Parker said is very sensitive to animal abuse.

Twelve men used a paintball gun to take turns in shooting paintballs at the monkeys at the picnic site. They laughed and joked about it.

“We reported them to the manager and she phoned a ranger to attend to the issue. While he was there they did nothing but the moment he left they continued, and this time they shot at the starlings as well, and took some random shots into the riverbed,” said Parker.

The manager herself then confronted them but they ignored her. “She was distraught when we asked her about them again, saying that she had confronted them, but what could she do? She was one woman against 12 men!” said Parker.

Parker and his brother took a video of the men, despite one of them trying to block them by standing in front of the camera. “We also succeeded in getting a photo of their car and wrote down their registration number.”

Parker and his family left soon afterwards.

All this information was given to SANParks to follow up.

Mr Ray Thakhuli, general manager of media and public relations of SANParks, said that the incident was being investigated. “If the allegations are true we will track these people down. We take incidents like these very seriously and the guilty parties will be brought to book. They don’t belong in the park and we don’t want them here,” he said.

He explained that for such transgressions hefty fines could be imposed and the culprits could be banned for life from all SANParks facilities.

Too many people in the KNP.
I request that readers be kept informed about this investigation and the outcome.
I participate because I care - CUSTOS NATURAE
No to Hotels in and commercialization of our National Parks.
No to Legalized Rhino and Lion trade.
Done 156 visits to National Parks.
What a wonderful privilege.

Elsa

Re: Kruger Park picnic turned into nightmare when gang of men shot monkeys with paintball gun

Unread post by Elsa » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:40 am

I do hope these people will be given their due recourse! :evil:
Unacceptable behaviour.
Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Kruger Park picnic turned into nightmare when gang of men shot monkeys with paintball gun

Unread post by wildtuinman » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:34 am

Too many people in the KNP.
I request that readers be kept informed about this investigation and the outcome.

Far too many people in Kruger. Especially the south.
It has become overly commercialized and I lay the blame on the wild card money making scheme!
Latest Lifer(s): Burchell's Courser, Cory's Shearwater, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, European Storm-Petrel, Great Winged Petrel, Grey Waxbill, Cape Rock-jumper

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:19 pm

IMO, this incident was not about any overcrowding but by a group of hooligans who have no respect for the park, the wildlife or other visitors.
And even if there were a minimum of visitors this type of incident could occur.
Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

wildtuinman
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by wildtuinman » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:04 pm

True, Elsa.

But still, very few can argue that the Park is carrying far too many visitors for the past 10 years.
Too many clowns, with no regard and no respect for the Park, its inhabitants and its peacefulness visit the Park nowadays.
Latest Lifer(s): Burchell's Courser, Cory's Shearwater, Wilson's Storm-Petrel, European Storm-Petrel, Great Winged Petrel, Grey Waxbill, Cape Rock-jumper

Follow me as I bird on Twitter @wildtuinman

RobertT
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RobertT » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:10 pm

Feel there are just too few people to police all the people in park. The rangers should not have to be doing policing, that should be another type of crowd control / security. There is just too much lawlessness and people are seen to get away with it, from speeding, getting out of vehicles, parking on wrong side of road at sightings, kids sitting on parents laps steering, littering etc. I have very seldom see anyone getting caught or punished.

gmlsmit
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by gmlsmit » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:25 pm

When I said too may people in the Park, I really meant too many people in the Park.
The more people in the Park, the bigger the potential for this type of behaviour, too many come to the Park for a jol.
I do not for one moment believe that the paint ball gun was there by sheer coincidence, I believe it was brought in with the intention to be used on the monkeys and baboons.
The evidence is there, now an example should be made.

Philip1
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2015)
Award: Musketeer of the Year (2015)
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2014)

Unread post by Philip1 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:16 pm

gmlsmit wrote:Twelve men used a paintball gun to take turns in shooting paintballs at the monkeys at the picnic site. They laughed and joked about it.

I would have thought that even a "paintball gun" should not be allowed to enter the Park gates? :hmz:
"Lose yourself in Nature and find Peace!" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
UNITE AGAINST POACHING...What we protect,
do not let poachers take it away!

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:27 pm

These disgusting people are a danger to society and should be criminally charged. I feel very sorry for their families and loved one's.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

gmlsmit
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by gmlsmit » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:35 pm

From the KNP rules:
DECLARE FIREARMS AT GATE – All firearms/dangerous weapons of any sort, any explosive, trap or poison must be declared upon entry, and firearms will be sealed;
Someone may now argue that a paint ball gun is not a firearm, however it can be regarded as a dangerous weapon.

BEHAVIOUR – Behaving in an offensive, improper, indecent or disorderly manner including the playing of any radio, compact disc player, music system, musical system or instrument, or in any way cause of any noise in any manner likely to disturb any species or specimen or other person is strictly prohibited and will be fined if not adhered to. The hindering, intimidating or obstructing of an authorized official in the execution if his/her duties or the performance of his/her functions will
not be tolerated and is subject to a penalty. Violation, refusal or failure to obey or comply with any prohibition, request or instruction imposed by these regulations or by the management authority or authorized official will result in prosecution;

FEEDING OF WILDLIFE IS PROHIBITED – The feeding or intentional disturbance of wildlife is a serious offence.

These persons should be taken to book, this type of behaviour cannot be tolerated.

Rivers2Run

Unread post by Rivers2Run » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:13 pm

In the USA we call these types of people in our National Parks Tourons. Tourist+ Moron = Tourons. It is sad but they are all over, just not enough respect for the natural world.

stefan9

Unread post by stefan9 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:25 pm

How did they get the paintball guns into the park? Aren't they suppose to be properly searched at the gates?
31 March - 3 April 2016 Berg n Dal Done
July 2017 Lower Sabie 3 nights and Talamati 3 nights

gmlsmit
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by gmlsmit » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:21 am

We all know that searches are not carried out, SANParks trust their visitors, it will be a sd day if everyone entering our KNP has to be searched. Upon entering our National Parks make a declaration about firearms.

Yoda
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Yoda » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:16 pm

gmlsmit wrote:We all know that searches are not carried out, SANParks trust their visitors, it will be a sd day if everyone entering our KNP has to be searched. Upon entering our National Parks make a declaration about firearms.

Last time I left (Melalane) I was searched. The guard even made me open the cooler box and suitcases
I didn't mind as I just se it as an increase in vigilance
"It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living"
Terry Pratchett

Garyd73
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Garyd73 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:35 pm

What the hell is wrong with people, why come into a park with this and shoot at animals. Hope they are found and banned for life from any park if they can be.
KNP - Sept 2013 - 5 Days
KNP - Sept 2014 - 7 Days
KNP - April 2015 - 7 Days
KNP - October 2015 - 10 Days
KNP - May 2016 - 10 Days

Return to “Kruger National Park”