Skip to Content

Advise - Day Trips From Camps

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park

Advise - Day Trips From Camps

Unread post by traceyh » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:07 am

hi this will be my 1st time staying in Kruger (end October 2016)I have only done day trips many many years ago (& I wasn't responsible for driving/routes) & I would like some driving route ideas once in the camp, and best picnic spots to stop at for breakfast/lunch:
2 nights at Satara: I was wondering if it would be possible to drive to Olifants & back or will it be to far
Satara to Skukuza:
1 night at Skukuza
Skukuza to Berg-En-Dal
2 nights at Berg-En-Dal: would you recommend driving to Pretoriuskop & back ?
Restaurants: I have seen some bad reviews for both Mugg & Bean at Satara & Tindlovu at Berg-En-Dal - has anyone eaten there recently & if so is it worth it or would self-catering be better (was hoping not to have to bring to much with me from JHB)

Re: Advise - Day Trips From Camps

Unread post by Elsa » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:30 am

Warm welcome to the forum Tracy! :clap:

You can definitely do a drive to Olifants from Satara, we did it recently and had lunch there with its stuning views.
Same goes for B & D to P/kop a nice drive, can do the tar road one way and the Voortrekker road the other way.
Have a read through the Picnic sites info and advice
although Afsaal and just recently Tshokwane have had lovely revamps and worth a visit.
If you haven't already got one I would reccomend you get a map book, from the gate or your first camp and you will be able to plan routes and see distances more easily.
As for the reviews on the restaurants, you will always get good and bad remarks, I have eaten at most of them and find them perfectly fine, certainly better than in the past.
Why don't you give them a try and see for yourself.
Enjoy and do ask if there are any further questions. :thumbs_up:

Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hugh » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:31 am

Happy KrgerParking Now lets see if I can answer those questions
Satara to Olifants and back is a great idea go up the tarred road at olifants have a bite to eat and then return via the gravel road ( don't forget to do the S100 too if you have time) Can do it along the gravel road from Olifants
Satara to Skukuza you travel down the tar and then you have the picnic sight Tshokwane Its all been refurbished and looks great with a nice shop with all sorts of goodies to eat plus they serve a mean meal there now.
From Skuzuza Pop into Lake panic then make your way towards Pretoriuskop . from Pretoriuskop travel down the gravel road to Afsaal and have a lunch there It too has been refurbished from there travel to Berg en Dal
We had a quick breakfast at Berg en dal and it was not bad at all and the service was quite quick While at Berg en dal I would travel to the gardenia hide and maybe work myself back via the Biyamiti weir back again via Afsaal to Berg and Dal . Do the Gentle walk around the perimeter fence too You might see a lot of animals
Hope that helps I am sure other mites will have some great ideas too
Something other people have,
similar to my character lines

Leaping Lizards
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Leaping Lizards » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:49 am

Hi Tracey

My answer is for around Satara.

The trip up to Olifants is one of our favourite drives from Satara. We usually leave Satara around 7am or 8am, take a slow drive up to Olifants, have breakfast at the Mugg and Bean at Olifants, then drive back down to Satara, getting back before lunch which leave time for another drive after lunch.
Another great drive from Satara is take the H6, to the Sweni Hide, then some time at the picnic spot, then Gudzani road with a stop at Gudzani Dam and back to camp via the S100.

Any loop off the H7 is also a great option.

You are spoilt for choice when it comes to drives from Satara. There are at least 6 other drives and loops.

August/September - Sirheni, Letaba, Talamati and Satara :P

Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by elpaco » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:23 am

Hi and welcome

as you have already been told, the options from Satara are numerous et going to Olifants and back is one of them, no doubt about it. you can do it in a day at a slow pace.

from satara to skukuza, you will need about 5 hours at a slow pace. you can have a break at Tshokwane. It will give you plenty of time for a few detours or loops on the road if you feel like it

from berg and dal, I don't believe the drive to P'kop would be my preferred option, you have plenty of possibilities staying down south on the gravel roads in the general direction of the can have a break at Afsaal at some stage.

about the restaurants, I don't know the one in Berg an dal, but must say that I wasn't convinced by the M&B at Satara ...
for your info, there is also a pizza take away at Satara which is not bad (can't remember the name of the chain)
I need to figure out how I can come to the KNP for 3 months
Looking for a Pel's ...

Andries Peyper

Unread post by Andries Peyper » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:08 am

As for the roadtrips I agree. Regarding Berg & Dal's restaurant, we were there in August this year. Had a lovely waffle & cream one day and on our last night we had an even better dinner. Plenty to choose from. Really enjoy.

Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by cheetahlady » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:57 pm

We have had lunch at M&B in Satara. Was decent. Can get very busy with day visitors. Like any restaurant, have good days and bad days. The park shops have a reasonable selection of food items if you decide to self cater. We have had breakfast at Berg-enDal and take out that was good. Have eaten dinner at Cattle Baron at Skukuza which was nice. Had breakfast at M&B at Lower Sabie and Letaba, both of which were good.

A reminder that you can only purchase cooked food at Afsaal, Tshokwane and Nkulu picnic sites. All the other picnic sites are self-cater only (skottles are available for hire and hot water is usually available for tea/coffee at all picnic sites incl those that sell food).
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better
Albert Einstein

KNP June 2017 Mopani, Shingwedzi, Letaba, Satara, Pretoriuskop, Berg-en-Dal

Unread post by traceyh » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:19 am

thank you everyone for the advise it is greatly appreciated,

i would like to go on a game drive while I am in the Kruger & I was thinking the best one would probably be from Satara ?, do you have any recommendation to do the sunset drive or the night drive ?

also do I need to book this now before I go or can I only book once I am at Satara, I would also love to do the bush braai, but looking at the forums it doesn't seem like they do these very often anymore ?

Unread post by Elsa » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:28 am

Tracy, whether you book now or wait till you get to the camp is really up to you and often more dependant on the time of year and how busy the camp/park is at the time.
End October is not an exceptionally busy time apart from the weekends when it is a bit busier any time.
What drive you choose, sunset or night drive also depends on whether you want to experience some day time and then night or all night driving.
See here for Info Sunset/night drives in Kruger

The bush braais do take place but they do have a minium number of guests needed. Extra people needed for Bush Braais

Return to “Kruger National Park”