Skip to Content

SANParks announces date change for 2018 winter holidays bookings.

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Lesego
Guru
Guru

SANParks announces date change for 2018 winter holidays bookings.

Unread post by Lesego » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:09 pm

South African National Parks (SANParks) announced today that the holiday bookings for June and July 2018 will now open on 1 August 2017 as opposed to 25 July 2017 as originally planned.

This according to SANParks Head of Communications Janine Raftopoulos, who said the change of date to 1 August is due to a possible protected strike by some members of staff. “SANParks is still locked in talks with the union representing the majority of staff and a deadline has been set for Monday, 24 July 2017 to agree on a settlement and in anticipation of any disagreements between the two parties – a change of date had to be considered.”

SANParks, therefore would like to apologise to all guests for any inconvenience caused due to this unfortunate situation. “We want to give confidence to all guests that a resolution will be reached soon and all operations will be back to normal.”

The bookings will open on 1 August from 07h30 for the call centres and email bookings. Online bookings will open on 2 August 2016 as per usual.

Issued by:
South African National Parks (SANParks) Corporate Communications:
Tel: 012 426 5065

Follow us on Twitter @SANParks like Us on Facebook: South African National Parks
Follow us on Instagram @sanparks Talk to us directly by joining the parks e-forum: www.sanparks.org/forum/

Media enquiries:
Janine Raftopoulos
SANParks Head of Communications
Tel: 012 426 5170, cell: 071 444 3121
Email: janine.raftopoulos@sanparks.org

Reynold “Rey T” Thakhuli
General Manager: Media, PR & Stakeholder Relations
Tel: 012 426 5170, Mobile: 073 373 4999
Email: rey.thakhuli@sanparks.org
Lesego Nko
Web forum and Online Stakeholder Relations
Lesego.nko@sanparks.org
Tel: (012) 426 5202

salamanda
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Re: SANParks announces date change for 2018 winter holidays bookings.

Unread post by salamanda » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:36 pm

Thanks Lesego, so glad this has been done, we were worrying about it!

croco

Unread post by croco » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:23 pm

I dont understand what this means.

We have been trying to book campsites in kruger and the site showed around 99% of everything fully booked.
Is the kruger really that busy? Or is due to the strike?

What is this winter holiday booking stuff?

salamanda
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by salamanda » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:17 am

croco wrote:I dont understand what this means.

We have been trying to book campsites in kruger and the site showed around 99% of everything fully booked.
Is the kruger really that busy? Or is due to the strike?

What is this winter holiday booking stuff?

Croco I can't tell you why they do it, because it seems very illogical to me, but whilst every other month of the year you book on the 1st of the month for anything up to eleven months ahead; for the period that encompasses the June/July holiday of the following year, bookings start only about three weeks into July. So, for example, we want to book for June next year, but instead of being able to book on 1st July, we have to wait till 25th July. Now, because of the strike, we have to wait a further week. Kruger is busy, yes, and its always advisable to book well ahead. We always book a year ahead. Sometimes you can be lucky and get something in a few weeks time, but more people are camping now because of costs.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:35 am

If you read Here you will find the explanation re the different dates for booking at that time of year.
They have just had to change it this year as per Lesego's explanation in the advisory mail above.

@croco, Kruger is extremely busy pretty much year round due its popularity, but if you are able to choose one of the out of season times to visit then it is much easier to get a booking, certainly in the more northern parts of the park.

croco

Unread post by croco » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:32 am

Elsa wrote:If you read Here you will find the explanation re the different dates for booking at that time of year.
They have just had to change it this year as per Lesego's explanation in the advisory mail above.

@croco, Kruger is extremely busy pretty much year round due its popularity, but if you are able to choose one of the out of season times to visit then it is much easier to get a booking, certainly in the more northern parts of the park.

Thank you. We did manage to get bookings pretty late. Sadly nothing for sunday and saturday
We booked Punda Maria Monday to Wednesday and Thursday to friday at another place about 100km down from punda maria.

Next time i will be more aware of the demand for campsites in kruger.
Also i read the subject wrong. I see booking open for 2018 :D

That is crazy.

Andries

Unread post by Andries » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:42 am

Hi

The media releases and the information on this Forum show that bookings from 1 July 2018 start this morning 1 August 2017.

This is not the case i have dialed central reservations for hours this morning in the rare case when i get through the call times out without being answered. I got through to Twee Rivieren gate and they told me bookings had not opened due to the strike.

The web site ( for online bookings) has not opened for July 2018 bookings as promised. This definitely should not be affected by the strike.

Why is there no update on the SANPARKS web site or on this Forum? I am sure that many others are struggling.

Kind Regards
Andries

Josh of the Bushveld
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Josh of the Bushveld » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:23 am

Same, I've spent the morning on the phone trying to get through to a bunch of different reservation offices since 7h20, no luck.
Online bookings for the period open on 2 August only
The 'mite formerly known as joshilewis

FGASA Level 1 Guide

Glen Reenen TR

15-18 June: Berg-en-dal

lizef
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by lizef » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:03 am

Andries wrote:Hi

The media releases and the information on this Forum show that bookings from 1 July 2018 start this morning 1 August 2017.

This is not the case i have dialed central reservations for hours this morning in the rare case when i get through the call times out without being answered. I got through to Twee Rivieren gate and they told me bookings had not opened due to the strike.

The web site ( for online bookings) has not opened for July 2018 bookings as promised. This definitely should not be affected by the strike.

Why is there no update on the SANPARKS web site or on this Forum? I am sure that many others are struggling.

Kind Regards
Andries

Good morning Andries
Bookings have indeed opened for the June/July 2018 period despite the strike, but unfortunately, as per the below notice on our website, we are experiencing some technical difficulties:
"Please note:
Dear valued client,
The SANParks Reservations office is currently experiencing technical difficulties with its telephone lines. We are attending to the issue and apologise for the inconvenience caused. To submit your booking request, please send an email to reservations@sanparks.org.
Due to possible strike action, SANParks will be shifting the opening of our June and July 2018 bookings from Tuesday, 25 July 2017 to Tuesday, 1 August 2017. This is to ensure minimal disruptions. SANParks apologises for the inconvenience."

The online bookings for the June/July 2018 period will be open as from tomorrow, 2 August 2018 (https://www.sanparks.org/tourism/reservations/bookings_periods.php)

Apologies that you've had to struggle with these issues. We hope to have them resolved ASAP
"Time is the best teacher; unfortunately it kills all of its students"

lizef
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by lizef » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:56 am

Please note, the SANParks Reservations office's telephone lines are working again. However, as the June/July 2018 bookings opened today, we are experiencing high call volumes. Please feel free to email your bookings requests to reservations@sanparks.org, should you experience any difficulties reaching us via the phone.
"Time is the best teacher; unfortunately it kills all of its students"

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:24 pm

Thanks for the feedback Lize! :thumbs_up:

Was just reading about this elderly couple http://www.traveller24.com/News/kruger- ... n-20170801

Pretoria - An elderly couple braved the cold on Monday night to sleep on the porch of the SANParks building in Pretoria - just to make sure they have the opportunity to visit the Kruger National Park in 2018.
"We arrived at about 17:30 and are now 10th in the row. We actually were among the first here, but because we are 10th, doesn't mean we'll get in.
"We'll have to wait [until Tuesday] and hope for the best."
Magda and her husband had planned to spend the night in a passage on SANParks' porch.
"The passage is open and the wind nippy. We are upbeat, have blankets, a bit of sherry and nice things to eat."
It is the third year in a row that Harm, 80, and Magda, 73, Timmerman have braved the elements to make sure they have a stand booked in one of the popular parks' caravan camps, Netwerk24 reported.

https://youtu.be/7Bsnn81ro0w

Return to “Kruger National Park”