Skip to Content

Kruger app's

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
skylinelinda

Kruger app's

Unread post by skylinelinda » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:24 am

I was on a cruise last week and one of the passengers showed me an app that one can use in Kruger. He said that when someone has a great sighting (leopard? cheetah?) they can use it to let other know where it is. He said that the one disadvantage was that cars then rush (breaking speed limits) there and there are so many cars it is hard to see the "sighting." Has anyone heard of this or used one? Which one?
We are from the USA so don't know exactly the least expensive way to use one while in Kruger. Any ideas?

DinkyBird

Re: Kruger app's

Unread post by DinkyBird » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:33 am

Hi skylinelinda - SANParks do not support the use, nor endorse, any sightings apps for the very reason the person told you - they cause a rush to sightings, disruption, overcrowding and speeding.

Best way to see Kruger is to self drive, and to 'find your own sightings' ... which you will do if you just drive slowly, chat to others along the road, chat to folk in camp etc. People are always excited and happy to share their sightings by word of mouth in the park.
Sawubona
Dalene

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:35 am

Hi skylinelinda, :D

I am 100% behind DB. I think that when people gets excited about seeing a predator, they brains go soft. The adrenaline spikes and reckless things are done.

I was recently in Kruger. I made a point of not using the apps. I saw animal casualties, because of cars speeding to sightings. :( The congestion at sightings was most distressing. Road rage was not unknown and quite honestly, I think that it is completely out of control. :evil:

I am not sure where you intend to stay, but some roads are more sighting friendly than others. Leaving camp early is another way to catch the early morning predators.

I have decided that I will use the sunset drives if I feel a need for a predator sighting without the maddening crowd.

If you let us know your itinerary, perhaps we can help you plan routes that maximise your chances of good sightings.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

skylinelinda

Unread post by skylinelinda » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:59 am

March 14-17 Beg En Dal
March 17-21 Skukuza
March 21-24 - Lower Sabie
March 24-26 - Mopani
March 27-30 - Olifants

We were lucky a little over a year ago - had several cheetahs sightings, wild dogs, 3 leopard sightings. Hope to see the same this year. Bringing 4 people who have never been to Kruger. We're VERY excited. Doing the bush braii at Mopani as we love that setting. Anyone else out there going to be there at the same time, same camp? We're all for the USA - 6 Texans, 3 for Iowa and one from Colorado....
Any suggestions would be great.
Linda Scott lindalscott@mindspring.com

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:55 am

What a fabulous itinerary. I really am rather :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I found the Lower Sabie river road the worst for bad behavior at sightings. It is such a pity, as it really is a lovely road with so much to see.

I stayed at Lower Sabie over the Christmas period. Because of the app usage, the H10 tended to be rather quiet. Everyone was congested on the LOwer Sabie road.

I also love the Salitje road. It has so manny different eco zones and offers wonderful opportunities. I had a leopard sighting on my last trip. There were only ever two cars present at a time. I notice that big 5 chasers are not always fond of gravel.

Another road I love is the S28. It really is cheetah territory. I would rather drive that than the main road between Lower Sabie and Croc Bridge.

The roads around Rhenoster koppies and Stevenson Hamilton Memorial are also possible predator territory. If you go early, you mihgt be treated to a hyena bath at Rhenoster koppies waterhole.

The S65, close to Skukuza can be quite a popular lion hang out. Unfortunately, the sightings app had made it rather unpleasant for many on my last trip. I avoided it for that reason. It is a road worth traveling though.

While I was at Balule, close to Olifants, I found that the S93 offered one of the best drives. It is really such a pretty drive with many opportunities to just stop and stare.

The roads further north seem to have far fewer problems with congestion.

I am going to say, the only good reason to have the app, is to know which roads to avoid. :evil:

I drove along the H10 on the 30th December. At one stage I was really concerned that there was something wrong. I must have had six cars pass me in four hours. Once at camp, I found out that there was a cheetah with cubs on the Lower Sabie road and one of the worst congestions possible. Because of the app usage, this is where everyone was congested.

Rangers had to be called out to stop incidents of road rage...sightings rage.

Some people say that the south is just too full and it is not the app. If this is the case, why did I had such a deserted drive on one of the most beautiful roads?

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:59 am

I stayed at Balule and there was a group of about 15 hyenas in a culvert close to the camp. At least three moms and lots of little ones. It is always worth taking a drive out in the early morning. They were often hidden once the sun really started shining.

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:24 am

Skylinelinda may you all have a wonderful, relaxing and peaceful visit to the Kruger National Park :thumbs_up: . The camps where you will be staying are all 8) Wishing you all a safe journey and pleasant travels.
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Return to “Kruger National Park”