Skip to Content

Re: Bookings - info - advice & Feedback

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
VicRob

Unread post by VicRob » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:36 pm

Hi Everyone

Have booked accommodation so many times with no problems, yet this time I am still trying to get my head around a couple of things.
So we are looking to book for August 2016 but still have to wait until 1st September to book, OK no problem understand the eleven month rule.

But…..

1] we have friends who were able to book for June 16 in June 15.
2] I can check availability for August 2106 online right now, although I understand I cannot book what is available yet. Fine except that there is already very little availability for some camps bungalows and guesthouses. For example we often stay in a Riverview Bungalow in Skukuza, yet there are none available on several dates I looked at in Aug 16!! Very few guesthouses available.
When I called to check on this, the lady said, and I quote, ''no the website is not accurate''

Can anyone please explain why so much of August is gone already!! :( :(
Spending more time in the best place on earth......Kruger[/color]

Biyamiti - 31-07-16
Skukuza - 02-08-16
Talamati - 05-08-16
Letaba - 07-08-16
Shingwedzi - 08-08-16
Satara - 11-08-16
Crocodile Bridge - 15-08-16
KwaZulu-Natal - 18-08-16
Home - 26-08-16

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:51 pm

Hi VicRob

I have just checked Availability for August 2016, and it is not on the website yet. Usually this only displays once the booking period opens for Online Bookings. Can you check your side again? We will need to inform the webmaster if there is a bug on your side.

For the June/July period - because it is over the peak season period here in SA, and many folk stay over the month end cross over, the booking period is different. You can see Booking period
Sawubona
Dalene

stevenjm

Unread post by stevenjm » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:33 am

I will try a screen shot I did from 13/8 to 18/8 so you can see what I mean…...

Date Available Nr. of units
13 August 2016 No
14 August 2016 No
15 August 2016 No
16 August 2016 Yes 1
17 August 2016 Yes 1
18 August 2016 No

Sorry screen shot would not copy here so above will have to do.

Does that make sense ??
I can most definitely see August 2016.

Thank you for pointing this out, I have resolved this to be the "correct" behaviour.

To answer your question however, we do have more availability than what online bookings is open at in most occasions (sometimes up to 14 months) but from a systems point of view, we cant allow sales of outside the periods on either web nor call center reservations for various reasons - such as final unit allocation from each park etc. Some units get revamped or refurbished and that all factors into the why.

VicRob

Unread post by VicRob » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:01 pm

Thanks everyone

So I am guessing that means hopefully when it comes our turn to call from Oz, we will have a bit more to choose from than the small numbers that are showing availability now.
I must admit I find this all a little concerning and also confusing, with so much already 'blocked out' :wall:
Spending more time in the best place on earth......Kruger[/color]

Biyamiti - 31-07-16
Skukuza - 02-08-16
Talamati - 05-08-16
Letaba - 07-08-16
Shingwedzi - 08-08-16
Satara - 11-08-16
Crocodile Bridge - 15-08-16
KwaZulu-Natal - 18-08-16
Home - 26-08-16

Imax
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Imax » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:39 am

the booking is for 1 night only and i was trying to add a night before in the same camp, so not much chance of there being a gap.

stevenjm

Unread post by stevenjm » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:13 am

Imax wrote:the booking is for 1 night only and i was trying to add a night before in the same camp, so not much chance of there being a gap.

Hi Imax,

If you go to existing reservations, and expand your reservation to see your itinerary line, further expand that and you will see the date options. Use the first one to add a day before your current night and then process that. It will amend it and then ask you to confirm your amendment. If there is payment due, it will alert you to the fact and you can process the payment for the amendment.

If you do not come right with the above, please let me know on mail - steven.macintyre@sanparks.org and I will assist further

Regards,

Steven

Rivers2Run

Making Reservations

Unread post by Rivers2Run » Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:38 am

I am looking to book a trip in September of 2016. I have signed up for reservations and I have submitted a booking request for a wilderness trail. So I am confused how booking for a Wilderness trail works, I submitted a request is it better to submit multiple requests with different combinations before the October booking date opens? Is it better to call on October 1? Also how do I get a client code? I also want to reserve accomodations, is it better to wait until on line booking opens on October 2, seems those are easier to get. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

DinkyBird

Re: Making Reservations

Unread post by DinkyBird » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:04 am

Hi Rivers2Run!

Reservations for September 2016 will only open on the first working day in Oct 2015 as you have mentioned. Best is to phone the call centre at 7.30am on that day. If you are not in SA then sending an email during the evening before is the next best option. They will only deal with bookings from that day, not before. If you are wanting to book popular units/camps, I would try book on 1 Oct.

If you have been to Kruger recently you should have a client code. You can register with Online Bookings which is great even if you do not use it to book certain trips, because you will be able to view and pay for you bookings via Online Bookings. Just always use the same Client Code.
Sawubona
Dalene

Rivers2Run

Unread post by Rivers2Run » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:16 am

Ok I am signed up for online bookings and I can log in; is the client code the number after my name in the system? Also wondered about this 3d secure for payment. Here in the US we have something called Verified by Visa, I am hoping that is the same system? Ok so best to send in the inquiry very close to the 10/1 opening period. Booking for rest camps will somewhat depend on if I get a wilderness trail booking. How do they notify you? I was thinking of having a larger window for the Wilderness trail and have several alternatives. Does that help our chances? I can call in but will it be busy for hours? Calls are not very expensive but sometimes the connection is not the greatest. Thanks for the suggestions.

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:38 am

Yes, the Client Code is the code in brackets next to your name at the top, first four letters are from your name and then four numbers following. This code will be what you use for all bookings from now on.

It sounds that if you are prepared to spend the money on the call, it is your best bet because then you can build your trip around getting the Wilderness Trail booking while on the phone. Just have all the options ready. Remember you can also change your booking soon after you have made it. I find I am usually on hold for about 20 mins, but it could be longer as Sept is a popular time to visit Kruger. Again I feel it is worth the effort - you are coming a very long way so want to ensure you have the best possible reservation you can get.

Let us know how it goes :D

If one books Online you need to pay for the reservations (5% discount) when you make the booking. If you book via the call centre, or email, then you have 30 days to pay for you deposit, and then the full payment must be made 60 days before your trip starts.

Once the first few days of the month pass, then the call centre calms down and you can email changes to them.
Sawubona
Dalene

DinkyBird

Unread post by DinkyBird » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:48 am

Re the 3D secure payment - SANParks has many international clients, so I am sure it will not be a problem. I suggest though that you make the payment a few days in advance and if you should have a problem, to post about it here, and we can ask SANParks to assist.
Sawubona
Dalene

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:06 am

Also as far as I know and I hope that is correct but I think if you do an On-line reservation you have to have accommodation booked before it will allow the booking of a wilderness trail.
Will be the camp that the trail departs from.
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 16th May - 3rd June 2016

Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

Graham_5000
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Graham_5000 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:54 pm

I've got provisional bookings for four camps, and I see that I have to make four individual deposit payments. Given that the bookings are on consecutive days, is there a way to merge the four reservations into one, so I only have one payment to make? I'm in the UK, so get charged for each payment, so consolidating would be great!
Kruger National Park, August 2016:

1 night Shimuwini
3 nights Punda Maria
2 nights Mopani
3 nights Talamati
1 night Crocodile Bridge

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:16 pm

Are the reservation #'s all the same Graham?
Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 16th May - 3rd June 2016

Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

Graham_5000
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Graham_5000 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:49 pm

The R numbers are all different Elsa.
Kruger National Park, August 2016:

1 night Shimuwini
3 nights Punda Maria
2 nights Mopani
3 nights Talamati
1 night Crocodile Bridge