Skip to Content

Shopping en route to Kruger.

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Shopping en route to Kruger.

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:32 pm

I went in this evening to get some milk.....Wow! It feels good, has a good range of items, and good choices too. Even camping stuff which the Spar and PnP do not have. It is going to steal a lot of customers I think, and if the butchery turns out to be good then Spar will really suffer.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 8 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

bilco2014

Unread post by bilco2014 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:07 pm

Hi
We are shortly visiting Kruger for 2 weeks and passing through Hoedspruit

Can anyone please advise where is the best place in Hoedspruit to buy a cold box and freezable reuseable ice blocks ( penguin) ?

Thank you

Sean and Elaine Cambridge UK

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:14 pm

The best place is probably Pick and Pay on the R40. There is a small shopping centre, and you have a choice of a few shops as well as PnP.

Rainman

Unread post by Rainman » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:49 pm

Hi - anyone have a brief idea how much the ice box costs? A normal size one I guess..

chirinda
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by chirinda » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:22 pm

Hi Rainman,

Welcome to the forum.

Looking at last week's Pick n Pay specials there is a 26 litre hard plastic cooler box for R179, so I guess it would be a bit more not on special. There is also a smaller 10 litre one for R90. If you're coming from overseas that would probably be inexpensive for you.

Enjoy your visit.

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:53 pm

For those entering the park at Croc Bridge, or staying there and popping into Komatipoort for shopping, there is now a new shopping centre opposite the Spar centre - just a roundabout replacing the old stop street for access.

The new centre has Tekkie Town and Shoe City (so some choice in shoes at last!), a Pep, Mr Price, Standard Bank, few other small shops, and a Shoprite for groceries etc. Plenty of parking, and the shops feel nice and spacious. Like most Checkers/Shoprite stores there is selection of camping and outdoor goods too, which could be useful for those forgotten items!

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:24 pm

I was in Malelane this morning, and noticed that Clicks will be opening soon at the Shoprite centre. It looks as if it will be a fairly large store.

safarigal

Unread post by safarigal » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:09 am

For those who have shopped at both Spar and Shoprite in Malelane, which do you think is the best???

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:54 am

Spar has a great butchery, and range of products. Shoprite has some cheaper prices and their bakery seems to have wider choice. They are so close that it is easy to compare. I would suggest turning into the Shoprite immediately from the N4, have a quick look, go to Spar, and then back to Shoprite again afterwards. Shoprite is also better if you need some camping/braai supplies.

brewersfriend

Unread post by brewersfriend » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:45 pm

We are due to arrive at Skukuza airport (14.30) and collect a car and stay the night a Skukuza rest camp. We would like to get the bulk of our shopping done outside the park - are there any reasonable supermarkets close to the airport or should we have to go to Hazyview?
12-15 September 2018 Pretoriouskop
16-19 September 2018 Satara
20-25 September 2018 Lower Sabie

I don't know of a wine that doesn't improve with quantity!

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:56 pm

The airport is inside the park so only camp shops available. You would be able to get enough for the first night at Skukuza (or eat at the restaurant) and then go to Hazyview for the main shopping next day.

imcarthur

Unread post by imcarthur » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:17 am

For our trip in mid-April, it looks like our big shopping – before diving into 3 bushveld camps in a row – a total of 9 nights - will be in Phalaborwa. I have mapped out the Spar & the Shoprite stores & we plan to send an order in for some frozen meat.

Do we pre-pay for this or is it paid at pick up?

What cuts of & kinds of game might be available which should we sample to braai?

I grill & smoke meat at home so I won’t be a total idiot but I haven’t used wood or charcoal for years so it will be an adventure. Any other hints? Do the bungalows have any braai utensils?

Thanks

Ian
Waiting for the next Kruger visit . . .

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:37 am

Hi imcarthur, this sounds like a great adventure on the way. 8)

I have never pre-ordered from the SPAR, so I am not sure what the payment arrangements would be. To be honest, I took it for granted that payment would happen on arrival, as you would need to be happy with the order.

I have found the Phalaborwa Spar very well stocked with a diversity of meats. I am sure that they could also get hold of anything extra on your wish list, including smoked items.

I am sure that somebody can help you with information about braai utensils. I always take my own, so it has never really been something that I have noticed. :hmz:

In terms of meat....if I am going to have chicken, I have it on the first night with a spicy marinade. The heat has given me too many bad experiences with chicken and I just don't want to risk food poisoning.

Game has such a strong flavor that I tend to use it in conjunction with fatty beef. It is also quite lean, so it does need some fat added for flavor and cooking. It is best to leave it in a marinade, possibly red wine, or a pre-prepared marinade and then I slow cook like an Irish stew. Kruger does have some heavy iron pots suitable for slow cooking. Perhaps folks can give some more ideas.

Lots of boerewors is a great idea. It keeps well and can be used up the next day. Many stores have their own specialty and this is actually quite a good way to get some game meat. I bought some from the Park shop at my last visit and it was really tasty.

I do tend to like smoked ribs. They are popular for braais and most butchers have a wide variety. It is probably the only way that I eat pork in the Park.

Lamb chops is another favorite of mine, but it does not keep well, so needs to be eaten on the day it is cooked. Matured beef, fillet or rump is quite yummy and can be recooked in a hash brown stir fry the next day.

I try to use fatty bacon sometimes if the meat is too lean. It also adds flavor.

I am really getting hungry now.

Do enjoy your stay...and please post some pictures. Were you not the fellow who experienced the meandering hippo :hmz:
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

winnydpu

Unread post by winnydpu » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:05 am

imcarthur wrote:What cuts of & kinds of game might be available which should we sample to braai?

In the camp stores you will find impala (marinated), kudu, wildebeest some others. Usually smaller cuts, for stews or as kebabs (sosaties) and some steaks. There are usually kudu or other game boerewors. Our tradition is to make spaghetti bolognese with the wildebeest mince , cooked over the braai stand once per trip. Canada may be better off than the US, but we also take advantage of the great lamb available in SA compared to the US.

Barb15584

Unread post by Barb15584 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:50 am

On the same line as the general heading.
We will be driving from Mhkuze to Pretorioskop later in the year and plan to stop off at Woolies in Nelspruit to stock up. Can I get back to the N4 via R37 or should I carry on with the R104. Based on the map that I looked at R37 looks doubtful, but would be the shorter route.
We will leave Mhkuze as soon as the gates open, but it is still a long haul, and is there still construction from Nelspruit to Malalane.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Barb.

Return to “Kruger National Park”