Skip to Content

Shopping en route to Kruger.

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
winnydpu

Re: Shopping en route to Kruger.

Unread post by winnydpu » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:05 am

imcarthur wrote:What cuts of & kinds of game might be available which should we sample to braai?

In the camp stores you will find impala (marinated), kudu, wildebeest some others. Usually smaller cuts, for stews or as kebabs (sosaties) and some steaks. There are usually kudu or other game boerewors. Our tradition is to make spaghetti bolognese with the wildebeest mince , cooked over the braai stand once per trip. Canada may be better off than the US, but we also take advantage of the great lamb available in SA compared to the US.

imcarthur

Unread post by imcarthur » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:56 pm

Meandering Mouse wrote: Were you not the fellow who experienced the meandering hippo :hmz:

Yes, that was me - early one morning in Skukuza last May. I guess he wanted to see what the INSIDE of a camp looked like.

winnydpu wrote:In the camp stores you will find impala (marinated), kudu, wildebeest some others.

We will have a couple of long inter-camp drives that take us by some larger rest camps so we can replenish. Most lamb in Canada is from New Zealand which has that odd NZ twang. Our local lamb is triple the price but much, much better. The lamb I have had on your side of the ocean has always been excellent.

So . . . stews, spaghetti variations, steaks, boerewors, lamb, kebobs. Fabulous suggestions.

Thank you

Ian
Booked our 2nd trip - April 2017
Berg-en-Dahl 3 nts
Skukuza 1 nt
Shimuwini 3 nts
Talamati 2 nts
Biyamiti 4 nts

Barb15584

Unread post by Barb15584 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:50 am

On the same line as the general heading.
We will be driving from Mhkuze to Pretorioskop later in the year and plan to stop off at Woolies in Nelspruit to stock up. Can I get back to the N4 via R37 or should I carry on with the R104. Based on the map that I looked at R37 looks doubtful, but would be the shorter route.
We will leave Mhkuze as soon as the gates open, but it is still a long haul, and is there still construction from Nelspruit to Malalane.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Barb.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:25 am

I usually go via Hazyview and enter at Phabeni, or Numbi. I usually travel through White River and take the N40 to Hazyview. It is then possible to decide which entrance to use, depending on time available.

I cannot comment on the N4, but I recently traveled via the R40 with no problem. It would be very easy to get back onto the road from Woolies.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:34 am

Barbs, I am also going to say that Malelane Gate is 85kms for Pretorius Kop. Most of that is on the gravel Voortrekker road. You are looking at about three hours of driving.

Unless there is a special reason for entering via Malelane, the other gates would put less time pressure on your journey.

Barb15584

Unread post by Barb15584 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:19 pm

Thank you for your suggestions. There is no special reason for choosing Malalane Gate, it is just that is what we have always done. I will check the maps out when I get home and make a new plan.
Thanks Again,
Barb.

Barb15584

Unread post by Barb15584 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:06 pm

Thank you Meandering Mouse,
That is a much better way.
We had planned on driving the N2 then N17 to Middelburg and then the N4 to Nelspruit primarily because we considered it the safest route.
The N2 to R33 to N17 to R541 is much shorter, how about the safety aspect. When I was working on assignment in RSA back in the early and mid 90s' we were advised to stick to the motorways when ever possible. Is this still valid?
Barb.

chirinda
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by chirinda » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:22 pm

Barb, your N2 R33 N17 R541 sounds a good route, I would then turn towards Barberton and Nelspruit. We haven't heard of those roads not being safe, obviously one is always cautious, but these days there shouldn't be a need to go a long way round. You also miss the N4 tolls. I don't know the condition of these roads now though, especially since they have had quite a bit of rain in the area this last couple of months.

However, I would prefer to go the R40 after White River to Hazyview, as MM said, rather than taking the R538 directly to Numbi gate. Mischief said recently that there are horrible speedbumps on that road now. It used to be full of potholes although I believe it is fixed now, but I would go via Hazyview and then either in at Phabeni or if you don't have too much time then in at Numbi. There is less R538 from Hazyview to Numbi. It is not a town, but most of the R538 is a very built up rural area, and lots of pedestrians, goats, chickens etc are likely to be on the unfenced edges of the road, and a speed limit of probably 60 kmh.

There are good shopping areas in White River and Hazyview for your perishables, with chain stores in both towns, but not Woolies, I don't think.

Hope this helps your planning.

Barb15584

Unread post by Barb15584 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:59 am

Thank you for the advice Chirinda, that should shorten the travel time considerably.
We don't set out until October 18, but the excitement is growing.
Barb.

Mischief
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Mischief » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:21 pm

I would strongly support Chirinda's advice.In White River,we have a very pleasant Pick and Pay which is halfway down the Main Street and on your RHS en-route to the Hazyview road.
The fresh produce is always satisfactory and the meat is quite acceptable as well.There is a section for basic outdoor items and you should be able to buy all the goodies you need.
"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."- G.Snyder
Mischief :P

Helol

Unread post by Helol » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:23 pm

Hello everyone

Although I reall enjoy eating meat, when I am in warm climates, I really enjoy eating fruit, etc. So my question is, is there a good variety of fresh fruit available in the shops either at Malelane, or Skukuza?

Additionally, as I am driving alone (hubby in the UK working), I don't really want to risk getting a tummy upset with game meat that I may find a little strong. I prefer to try those different meats when hubby is with me, hopefully next year!

Hugh
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hugh » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:57 pm

Hello there
Depends on when you are coming to SA though there are usually plenty of fruits Winter oranges that can be bought at the road side at very reasonable prices and the shops will have a great variety Try food lovers Market in Nelspruit You can by fresh and dried fruit and nuts and also a good selection of meat ( beef, lamb and pork ) and they will package small quantities for you .The Park shops also have a nice selection of meat but their fresh fruit and veg can be limited
Enjoy
Camping:-where you spend a fortune to live like a homeless person

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:41 am

You will find plenty of fruit available at Spar, PnP, and Shoprite in Malelane.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 8 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:50 am

Hi Helol.

That is good advice form Hugh and GEJ.

There are some vendors as you turn into the road to Melalane. In the past, I have bought really lovely fruit there. A monkey at Melalane camp once stole the most delicious mango that I have ever eaten. :roll: They do have a good selection of fruits and veg, if you are using Malelane gate. The avos that I have bought from vendors can be very tasty, better than those bought in shops. Macadamia nuts are also often sold and make wonderful snacks.

I have been using the camp shops a lot more lately, as they do have a very good selection of meat. I am rather cautions about chicken in the Park, the heat can make it go off rather quickly. If I have Pork, I go for pork ribs that have been smoked. You will find a good selection in the Park shops. There is also an excellent selection of beef and lamb. I usually braai, or fry boerewors to keep as a light meal for the next day.

The Parks shops are not yet well socked with fresh produce, possibly due to heat. I have seen fruit that does not deteriorate to quickly, such as apples and oranges. I also found small packs of mixed produce, onions, tomatoes and peppers at a very good price. I paid R16 for two tomatoes, an onion and a very large pepper recently.

I often travel on my own and buying in the Park is convenient.

Helol

Unread post by Helol » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:46 am

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

I will be there on the 1 April (is this terrible timing due to school holidays!!).

Will be driving up from Swaziland, and staying over at Malelane before entering the gate the following morning first thing.

Return to “Kruger National Park”