Skip to Content

Shopping en route to Kruger.

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
imcarthur

Re: Shopping en route to Kruger.

Unread post by imcarthur » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:05 pm

cheetahlady wrote:I was hoping to find a good butcher in Phalaborwa who could do this

I contacted the Spar in Phalaborwa for a pickup next week & I received a prompt reply. They ask for 3 days notice to vacuum pack & freeze. Juan is the butcher on site. PM me for his email.

They have the usual meats but no game available.

Ian
Waiting for the next Kruger visit . . .

Jesscan1
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Jesscan1 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:47 am

safarigal wrote:Is there a really good/recommended butchery between KMIA and Malelane gate? If so, what are your recommendations to buy there. If not we can get our meat at Spar in Malelane as usual.

The Malelane Spar sells great tasting biltong and dry wors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stark
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Stark » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:03 pm

Hello all!

I've read through the thread and am I right in assuming there isn't a butcher or store in Malelane that sells game meat? I love to experiment with foods and Malelane will be my closest gate to stock up outside the park.

Thank you!
"Smooth seas do not make skillful sailors." West African Proverb
Kruger Bound in May!
6-8 Berg-en-dal
9-11 Biyamiti
12-14 Satara
15-17 Letaba
18-20 Tamboti
21-22 Skukuza

cheetahlady
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by cheetahlady » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:10 am

Stark, I have seen game meat in the park shops. You may find some in the grocery stores outside the park. Definitely ostrich, maybe venison of some description.
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better
Albert Einstein

KNP June 2017 Mopani, Shingwedzi, Letaba, Satara, Lower Sabie, Pretoriuskop, Berg-en-Dal

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:02 am

Stark, Chhetahlady is right, there is a really good selection of game meat in the Park stores. The current meat contractor with Sanparks seems to know his meat.

We have had game a few times. I would suggest that you leave it to soak in a marinade for at least 24 hours. This would make it a little more tender. We tend to slow cook it with fatty pieces of beef. This adds an extra dimension of flavor.

The game boerrie sold in Kruger is really :thumbs_up: . I am very fussy about my boerrie and can pick up poor quality boerrie on the first mouthful. The game boerrie that I had in Skuks tasted very much like more.

Game boerrie is rather nice to chomp on when it is cold as it is not too fatty.
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:36 pm

I think Impala Butchery in Malelane does game meat. Not sure as I have not been into the shop, and won't be near the town to check for a week or so.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 8 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

safarigal

Unread post by safarigal » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:07 pm

Does anyone have an opinion about who makes the best biltong and droe wors in Malelane?

Canuckgirl!

Unread post by Canuckgirl! » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:17 pm

We will be departing from the Gowrie Gate of Sabi Sands and driving into Kruger at Orpen Gate, en route to Olifants. Is there any worthwhile grocery shopping nearby? Should we head back to Acornhoek, or should we forget shopping in advance and rely on the Kruger shops, as we are staying in three main rest camps?

I suppose our other option might be to purchase groceries in Hoedspruit and ask Ele Plains if they will store a little food for us for three nights. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks!
Olifants - August 23-25
Satara August 25-27
Lower Sabie 27 - 29

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:08 am

Hi Canuckgirl, you must be very excited about your trip. :D

I am going to say that I have started to use the Park's shops a lot more lately. Unless you have special needs, they tend to have the basics. The only thing I steer away from is chicken products. The butchery that supplies Kruger really does supply good quality. I have noticed that they have small packs of veggies for the basics as well as fruit that is not going to spoil too quickly in the heat. I do not eat grain, so I am not sure of bread quality, but I do not know if a long detour is worth a loaf of bread.

I am not sure if you are travelling north, or south, but the Restaurants are worth using for a main meal. I love what has been done to Tshokwane picnic area and I have also had excellent service and food at 'The Cattle Baron' in Skukuza and 'The Mug and Bean' in Lower Sabie.

The restaurants further north also seem to get good ratings.

safarigal

Unread post by safarigal » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:04 pm

Jesscan1 wrote:The Malelane Spar sells super biltong and droewors. We always make a stop there to get ours before going into the Park. You can choose the pieces you want and they cut it to your liking - thin or chunks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brilliant! Thanks for the reply. I have tried the biltong in the Parks shops and I guess they are fine for people who like their biltong really dry, but we like it wet, so I'm looking forward to shopping at Malelane Spar.

cheetahlady
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by cheetahlady » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:05 am

Canuckgirl! wrote:Thanks Meandering Mouse! I was sort of leaning towards relying on the camps shops and the different restaurants, and you have confirmed this will work. I want to get into Kruger as soon as possible!

Just back from 18 days in Kruger. The park shops have a good selection of meats. Vegetables and fruit can be limited depending on the camp and where it is in the supply cycle - if you see what you want, buy it as it may not be there later. You could always buy a take away salad from the restaurants, and bbq meat at your chalet.

We bought bread in the park shops - have white, brown and low GI available. Tindlovu (at Tshokwane, Afsaal, Letaba and possibly Satara day visitors) sell roosterkoek (like large rolls cooked on a fire) - delicious.

Tea, coffee, milk etc is all available at the shops. If you like jam, try the Marula jam that you can buy in the park.

For shorter stays, I would definitely use the park shops (we did this the first time we visited 20+ years ago - shops have improved since then).

Bring a thermos with you so you can make tea/coffee on your morning drive.

If you find you really cannot get what you are looking for, a morning drive to Phalaborwa gate would be a good option from Olifants and there is a Spar grocery store about 5 mins drive from the gate. We did a top up shop when staying at Letaba - saw lion, jackal, ellies, hyena en route. Last time had leopard on the road. Sable hide is a short detour off the road and Masorini is an interesting stop.
Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better
Albert Einstein

KNP June 2017 Mopani, Shingwedzi, Letaba, Satara, Lower Sabie, Pretoriuskop, Berg-en-Dal

Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:15 am

Cheetahlady, nice to see you back and thanks for that feedback.

It is always good to have updated information. :thumbs_up:

safarigal

Unread post by safarigal » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:56 pm

Great info Cheetahlady - especially love that Roosterkoek is available at Satara ...... yummy!!

Canuckgirl!

Unread post by Canuckgirl! » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:43 pm

I really appreciate this detailed response Cheetah Lady. Thanks so much! We are getting so excited about our upcoming trip! :dance:
Olifants - August 23-25
Satara August 25-27
Lower Sabie 27 - 29

kahtrav

Unread post by kahtrav » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:59 am

This has been a really helpful thread to read - even mentioning foods that I didn't even know about. I know that Braai is a big thing and we love to BBQ, so that will be good. We'll grab a pair of tongs for that.

Will we be able to get frozen foods (meats) that will help to keep other foods cold until we get to our camp (we'll get some kind of insulated bag or cheap case)? We are at 4 camps over 10 days - I never thought about leaving the park to shop, so it's good to know that the camp stores have a reasonable supply. There are mentions of fresh fruit and veggies, but are canned things available as a back up? I like the idea of getting a take-out salad. We mostly do self- catering due to dietary issues, but if we can get meat, salad and bread, we'll be good. Hadn't thought about game meat, so that will be fun to try (and we love lamb). Is the power in the bungalows pretty reliable, so the refrigerator will work?

Anyway, will try to pack a thermos, since socks will fit inside :-). Would not have expected hot water at picnic areas - sounds like a good set up. Very exciting - beginning to think that waiting until we're in our 60's to try South Africa was a mistake - I think we'll want to come back.

Karen

Return to “Kruger National Park”