Skip to Content

That sinking feeling

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Meandering Mouse
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
Award: Angel of the Year (2015)

That sinking feeling

Unread post by Meandering Mouse » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:54 am

I posted this on another thread.

It is often my first stop when I visit the central Park. That is when I feel :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: .

It is also often my last stop before leaving. Then I feel :( :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: There is that sinking feeling deep in the pit of my stomach.

Does anyone else get that sinking feeling? How do you cope with the "goodbye""?
The bird doesn't sing because it has answers, it sings because it has a song.

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Re: That sinking feeling

Unread post by Crested Val » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:01 am

MM I think that you know the answer to the first part of your question!!! :dance: :dance:
There can not be many people that dont have that "sinking" feeling..........
As to how I cope :whistle: :whistle:
Book another visit ASAP!!!! or scan the forums when we get home for TRs!!! or................. :cry: :cry:

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:00 am

That sinking feeling and heaviness in your heart as the gate approaches is the worst part but I try and make my mantra as
"The end of one holiday is really only the start of the planning for the next one"
Helps a little! :roll:

Richprins

Unread post by Richprins » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:36 pm

Well, one way if getting around it is to look forward to putting up your pics and things on the forums when you get home! 8)

Rooies
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Rooies » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:50 pm

Who doesn't know that feeling? When you exit the park and see farms, cattle, cultivated crops, railway lines, shops etc etc., then you know, you have left paradise and have to face the reality of what modern man has created. You have been traveling at max 30km/h and suddenly you are allowed to do 100km/h. This feels like 500km/h. On the way back to home you see the pollution, over development, fast food outlets, robots, and then you think, why am I part of this rat race, why can't I just go back and do what I always wanted to do, stay and work in the bush.
Give thanks for unknown blessings already on its way---African saying
Member nr 8512
Cheetah supporterPURIST and proud thereof

DASSIEDELIGHT

Unread post by DASSIEDELIGHT » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:53 pm

My SO always says we have to go away to be able to come back! Not always much help as I shed tears as our plane takes off!
We always either have something booked already or do so as soon as we get home and so the countdown begins again.

Regards,
DASSIEDELIGHT
TR: PF & DDs Game of patience in KTP - Oct/Nov 2013
---
KNP 2014 SEPT
---
CAPE TOWN / WCNP / WILDERNESS 2015 APRIL
---
KNP 2016 SEPT: B'n'D, Skuk, Let, Shim, Sat, Croc B
---
KNP 2017 APRIL: PM, Shing, Shim, Let

vanderw

Unread post by vanderw » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:57 pm

That is one of my favourite spots too. Lookout a few km from Orpen?

I have that feeling right now and I am not even close to KNP!!

Bushmad
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bushmad » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:38 pm

Sigh...

Thanks MM for posting that soothing pic.

There is no doubt that we ALL get that feeling. I have learnt to deal with it much along the lines of what others have posted:

1. I feel a sense of sadness that the time I have looked forward to for so long has passed by so quickly and is already in the past. I often sit in a hide or special spot in a camp, I do not know when the next time will be that I am back in that spot. I think of the last time I was there and try assess how my life has changed since then and I pray that when I return, I will have progressed further and be satisfied with what I have done in the intervening period.

2. I immediately remind myself how fortunate I am to have been YET AGAIN to this special place and feel very grateful.

3. I remind myself that I need to leave in order to return and immediately begin planning the next trip.

4. I also remind myself of what is waiting for me at home.

5. Finally....book the next trip asap!
"Acts of kindness never die. They linger in the memory, giving lift to other acts in return."
Lord Sacks - From Optimism to Hope

Bushmad
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bushmad » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:57 pm

Crested Val wrote:
Meandering Mouse wrote:I don't know how folk from other countries cope.

We wait till we've retired and then come and spend 6 months each year in your most beautiful country!! That means fitting in as many trips to Kruger (and KTP) as we can!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Crested Val...sounds like the perfect antidote to me! By the way Crested Val, this is not just "our" beautiful country...the beauty belongs to all humanity, irrespective of nationality and so it is yours too.

One other thing I do.... about feeling better about leaving...I tell myself that when the time comes to leave, I should focus on leaving early to get home at a reasonable time and just accept that the trip is over and I actually dont linger....I pack up early, appreciate the early morning and drive straight to the nearest gate and enjoy the drive there....thinking "soon, I'll be on my way IN again."
"Acts of kindness never die. They linger in the memory, giving lift to other acts in return."

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Crested Val » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:09 pm

Bushmad......thank you for that. :dance: :dance: :dance:

Bushmad
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Bushmad » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:00 pm

Richprins wrote:Nice, Bushmad!

I agree.

Last day is normally just a "get out and move along" day!

Hey Richprins..... :thumbs_up:

Thought I was the only one.....the thought process is "I've had a great time, my time has come to leave and leave with a satisfied heart". (Also....let my room be vacated early so it will be clean and ready for the next people whose time still lies ahead of them... :wink: :wink: :wink: .... :lol:, this is not a reference to the new check-in times :whistle: )

I really mean that though...we really do try our best to ensure that we leave our plates, cutlery and room in a condition which we would like to find it and also to leave as early as possible, not only for our own reasons but out of courtesy to the new arrivals AND to the cleaners...."do unto others..."

Bundi

Unread post by Bundi » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:25 pm

It really is one of the emptiest feelings one can ever have, but at least we are blessed enough to have it.

Grantmissy
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Award: Forumite of the year - Eagle Award (2016)
FAC Member (2015)

Unread post by Grantmissy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:59 am

I guess that sinking feeling is part of the Kruger experience in the end when the Kruger days are over and a person has to return to the routine of the daily life outside Kruger :| . But some of us immediately start planning for the next visit :D to ease that sinking feeling a bit … :wink:
“Whether it's the best of times or the worst of times, it's the only time we've got.”

Porridge
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
FAC Member (2016)

Unread post by Porridge » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:09 am

Rooies wrote:You have been traveling at max 30km/h and suddenly you are allowed to do 100km/h. This feels like 500km/h.

:funny:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Spot on, Rooies :) On the way home at the beginning of December everyone kept whooshing past me, until I realized I was doing 70 km/h and my hands were white-knuckled on the steering wheel!! Felt like 200 km/h. Always takes me around 80 kms to become used to freeway speeds again.
The simple rule to follow with all animals is one of respect.

Tired of wishing "you were there"? Try something different

2 -7 March 2017 - Cricket@Skuks

GlenD
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by GlenD » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:17 pm

Sigh.. I had the privilege of having that sinking feeling this Saturday past. And I'll still have it for a few more days.

I agree fully on getting used to the speed again. Between Crocodile Bridge and Komatipoort it is 100km/h and I would get up to 70 then find myself slacking again. From Komatipoort, well lets just say 120 feels like im taking off in a jet.

Return to “Kruger National Park”