Spotlight recommendations?

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
kallis1786
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: USE OF FLOOD / SPOTLIGHTS

Unread postby kallis1786 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:25 pm

Hi Elsa and Okie.

I totally agree that vehicle headlamps are necessary but does it actually affect the animal's eyes those headlamps.

We own a Nissan X Trail

As you can see the 2 Lights I marked, Instead of turning on the Entire headlamps, My dad only turns on those 2 lights as it provides enough light to stop if there is an animal on the road but is not powerful enough as the main headlamp, but since my dad is the one that always drives, I will be going with a friend next year June without my Dad, so I was just curious,

johanrebel
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: USE OF FLOOD / SPOTLIGHTS

Unread postby johanrebel » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:01 pm

Oryx wrote:Johanrebel, yeah it`s interesting, isn`t it, the fact that a red filter is a commercial non-starter. It actually means that possible damage to an animal`s eyes or a disturbance is of secondary importance to sightings for the elderly and video phtography. Makes one think!!
Yeah, that's why I wrote commercial non-starter.

Years ago, the rest camp shops sold a book called Kruger Park, Questions & Answers. One of the questions was why night drives were not allowed. I do not have the book to hand, so cannot quote the answer (will look it up when I get home next year), but the reason given was that it would cause disturbance to the animals. Then, all of a sudden, SANParks started offering night drives from all rest camps. Now that would not have been for commercial reasons, would it now?

Leaving aside the commercial aspects, the whole issue is still quite complex, both the damage and disturbance aspects.

I spend a lot of time observing animals at night on foot, and have found that animals generally are not much disturbed by the light at all. Makes me wonder whether vehicle size/noise/proximity are not more of a disturbance than the light.

Johan

jacquiandphil

help which torch?

Unread postby jacquiandphil » Sun May 05, 2013 1:29 pm

We come to Kruger each year and just bring a lantern torch, fine for cooking, power cuts, and walking to kitchens in dark.
We wish to buy a torch in order to look in trees and over the fences when we hear intriguing noises, for which our lantern torch is of no use.
As we come from the UK we need the torch to be as light and compact as possible. There are so many on the web and we don't know what specifications we should look for ( brightness/ focusing/distance). We have no need of it apart from our Kruger trips so don't want to pay for top of the range. If anyone has a torch that they use for this purpose and can tell me the specifications of it, that will help me to make my choice. We've searched under "police torches" as these seem bright...
Thanks in advance.
Jacqui and Phil
July 2015:
24/07 outside park
25-27 Nossob
27-29 Kieliekrankie
29-01/08 Mata Mata
01-03 Kalahari Tent
03-07 Twee Rivieren
07-09 just west of Upington

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Spotlight recommendations?

Unread postby ecojunkie » Sun May 05, 2013 6:20 pm

I have a Zartek LED spotlight which is rechargeable.....and very importantly comes with a red filter which does not affect the animals' eyes. It will last about 4 hours on a single charge and charges from car or AC power. It is not particularly light in weight, but then not nearly as heavy as many others either.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 6 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

bethmary

Unread postby bethmary » Mon May 06, 2013 4:00 pm

We have just purchased the Zartek LED Spotlight,with red detectable lens, rechargeable battery and AC & DC chargers with 200 lumens, beam distance of 200 metres and 4 hour battery life. It cost R399 @ Outdoor Warehouse :):)

Graham_5000
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Best compact torch I have ever used and affordable!

Unread postby Graham_5000 » Mon May 12, 2014 2:29 am

Hi all,

I travel to Kruger from overseas so I can't pack a bulky torch - I have been searching for the holy grail of torches: light, small, powerful and affordable! I think I have found it:

GEONAUTE ONbright 800 metal torch.

Bought one today and I'm so impressed with the brightness and range! Have any of you got one? This is going to be so useful in Kruger!

Graham
Last edited by Elsa on Mon May 12, 2014 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link Removed.
Kruger National Park, August 2016:

1 night Shimuwini
3 nights Punda Maria
2 nights Mopani
3 nights Talamati
1 night Crocodile Bridge

yoda
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Re: Best compact torch I have ever used and affordable!

Unread postby yoda » Mon May 12, 2014 9:12 am

Last December I bought a "cheap & cheerful" torch from P & P.
Wasn't as good as one of the named brands, but it did the job.

Porridge
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Porridge » Tue May 13, 2014 9:24 pm

If you don't have a red filter on your searchlight, etiquette and the responsible rule is to illuminate the ground, the rump or the area closest to the animal in order to be able to see him or her. NEVER shine the light in the animal's eyes. That's very naughty ... :twisted:
The simple rule to follow with all animals is one of respect.

Tired of wishing "you were there"? Try something different

3-8 March 2016 10th Anniversary of Cricket @ Skukuza

Kicker Cat

Unread postby Kicker Cat » Sat May 17, 2014 12:16 am

The LED Lenser is a nice device - have used several - I find that the Zartek rechargeable Flashlights are probably the best value for money you can get just now (I have nothing to do with them - just a very happy customer)

You get Flashlights that reach 200 to 300 metres and if you are going to use it for Game spotting get one with a red lens to protect the eyes of diurnal animals (Buck and similar). The units I use are rechargeable and can be charged form AC and from the 12V lighter socket I've had mine for 3 years and never a problem.

Maglite make some good LED Flashlights as well.

Riaanf31

Spotlights - Game Vehicles

Unread postby Riaanf31 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:35 pm

I was reading a thread earlier about which mentioned the spotlights , or rather the frustration from incorrect usage on sunset and/or night drives.

My left field idea is to buy a spotlight of my own, affix an electrical plug that fit and then use this on future sunset drives etc. I was thinking of a 'Lightforce Blitz' model. They look similar from memory to those provided on the Sanparks game drive vehicles. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Has anybody tried this or have any pitfalls to warn me of? :hmz: :hmz: :hmz: :hmz: :hmz:
To see a sunrise in KNP is to see magic.

Skukuza 18-20 April
Lower Sabie 21-24 April
Satara 25-29 April

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Re: Spotlights - Game Vehicles

Unread postby ecojunkie » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:04 pm

Nice idea.....but please do not do it!!!!! Can you imagine the chaos if everyone decided to do the same thing? And if you do it then others will copy you...... Lights shining all over the place, in guests' and guide's eyes, blinding the animals because they do not know how to use the lights properly....... Mega lights being used....... If you think control is difficult now imagine that scenario!!!

The spotlights provided on the vehicles are chosen deliberately not to be too bright and there are only so many plug points so the number of lights is limited too.

The only exception would be if you have a light with a red filter on it, and only use it with the red filter. This does not harm animals' eyes and is also kinder to your fellow guests.

Lepardfan
Junior Virtual Ranger
Junior Virtual Ranger

Unread postby Lepardfan » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:46 pm

I have been taking my own spotlight on gamedrives for at least the last 8 years, I also don't use too bright a spotlight.
I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in. ~George Washington Carver

One day closer to my next visit

Oryx

Unread postby Oryx » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:04 pm

Agreed EJ, I think a red filter is essential on all night drives, irrespective.

Riaanf31

Unread postby Riaanf31 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:46 am

Thanks Ecojunkie, Oryx and Lepardfan for you replies.

I take your point that you don't want tourists to light up the bush like a Xmas tree should they bring their own spotlights. My desire to bring my own is partly borne from having had more than one encounter where a spotlight wasn't checked before the drive started, thus leaving the group short of a light or two. Or having a muppet (sorry whoever you were) use it to shine at the stars or the road.

On the red filter: I have never been on a game drive where any spotlight has ever had this filter on it. If this is better for the animals are we going to see this implemented within the park on game drives?

Strength of the light: I'd be happy to conform to the desires light strength by the powers that be. I have no desire to 'light up' the Selati Bridge whilst sitting in camp at Skukuza.

Battery packs: I see that the ones available have battery packs. Which would come in handy when looking for that elusive owl in camp or patrolling the fence line at various camps after an evening braai.
To see a sunrise in KNP is to see magic.

Skukuza 18-20 April
Lower Sabie 21-24 April
Satara 25-29 April

ecojunkie
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread postby ecojunkie » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:18 pm

The red filter is kinder for animals' eyes, but not so good for actual spotting. This would mean having a detachable filter, and that would inevitably get damaged or lost, so I am not sure it will be introduced for the standard supplied lights.

However if you are going to try and add an extra light it is more important to reduce the impact on the animals overall so any extra light should automatically use a red filter.

I think the standard for the vehicle spotlights is 800 candle-power.

Thanks for the link Elsa.....I did not have time to look for it!

Return to “Kruger National Park”