Skip to Content

Kruger National Park's efforts to streamline access for day visitors

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
Elsa

Kruger National Park's efforts to streamline access for day visitors

Unread post by Elsa » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:15 pm

Where ever you go, go with all your Heart.
Kruger - 16th May - 3rd June 2016

Have you nominated someone in the Annual Forum Awards yet?

lunch123

Re: Kruger National Park's efforts to streamline access for day visitors

Unread post by lunch123 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:07 pm

Hi, We are planning to go to the Kruger area at the beginning of October. We will be based in Hazyview and in Komatipoort. I have already booked non-refundable accommodation in both towns. We plan to take day trips into Kruger. It is only now that I have noticed that access for day visitors is restricted.

Can anybody give me an opinion what the situation will be like during the first week of October? I believe school holidays will be on in South Africa from Sept. 30 to Oct. 10, which is exactly the time when we will be in the area. Is this a busy travel time for Kruger? Are we likely to experience problems to get day access to Kruger? Usually we are late risers (teenage children :lol: ). In case this is a very busy time, would it be an advantage to arrive early?

I am aware that we could reserve day access beforehand, but with three children above the age of 12 this would increase admission costs considerably, which I would rather avoid.

Thank you.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:50 pm

Warm welcome to the forum lunch123! :clap:

Every holiday period tends to be a busy one in the park so for sure the park entry gates will be busy.
You can take a chance and try to do it without a day access permit and if so I would really recommend you get to the gates and into the queue super early or either take another chance and get there later in the day and hope the gate quotas have not been reached for the day and the queues gone.
but the best time of day to be in the park is the early mornings so I would advise you to get your teenagers into bed early the night before and up into the car bright and early even if they nap on while in the queue.

Goggo EJ
Legendary Virtual Ranger
Legendary Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Goggo EJ » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:23 am

One other option is for dad or mom to go early and get the permit and then ask for 're-entry' and return to pick up the rest of the family. You then have guaranteed entrance, no queue to wait in, and your own time to enter. The only thing to remember is that identity documents and signatures are required for all adults so you might need to fill in the forms beforehand.
Smiling is contagious. Start an epidemic today!

Have you read the entrance permit? Do you KNOW the Conditions of Entry?

Completed over 7 years in Kruger in my caravan.

If I was normal I wouldn't be me!

lunch123

Unread post by lunch123 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:55 pm

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I wish I had known before about day visitor restrictions and that our visit to South Africa coincides with local school holidays. But it's definitely my fault, now we will have to live with those restrictions. Making my teenage children (and my husband) go to bed early and rise very early will be a job close to impossible to accomplish. I would rather think that I get up early myself and go to the gate to get these permissions.

Do I understand correctly that we could all go to the gate during any time of the day to pick up and fill in the forms? It would then be sufficient that I drive down to the gate by myself early next morning, wait in line and do all the remaining paperwork?

Will it make a difference which gate I go to? Do all gates admit day guests? I think Numbi and Phabenit gates are the ones closest to where we are staying.

Thanks for all your help.

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:30 pm

Its a pity your visit has coincided with the busy school holiday season.
but I guess all you can do now is try and make the best of the situation.

lunch123 wrote:Do I understand correctly that we could all go to the gate during any time of the day to pick up and fill in the forms? It would then be sufficient that I drive down to the gate by myself early next morning, wait in line and do all the remaining paperwork?
Yes, you can do that and also if you intend buying a family wild card that would be the time to do that as well.
That is cost effective if you intend to go into the park 6 or more times during your visit on separate days

Will it make a difference which gate I go to? Do all gates admit day guests? I think Numbi and Phabeni gates are the ones closest to where we are staying.
All gates do day visits. From Hazyview the best and closest gate to use would be Phabeni

Thanks for all your help.

Marvin

Unread post by Marvin » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:41 pm

You can also try to book your day visitors permit online in advance:

https://www.sanparks.org/tourism/reserv ... sitors.php

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:02 pm

Thanks Marvin but the member has indicated she would rather not in this case.

lunch123 wrote:I am aware that we could reserve day access beforehand, but with three children above the age of 12 this would increase admission costs considerably, which I would rather avoid.

Return to “Kruger National Park”