Skip to Content

Fuel Advice needed

Discuss and find information on the Kruger National Park
ANAT

Petrol / Gas cost 2016

Unread post by ANAT » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:07 am

Hi everyone
I hope I am posting this in the right place , not sure if I am within the rules , if not sorry and
maybe someone can correct me and advice on where to post .
I am looking for some help in calculating costs , can someone help me with a rough calculation on petrol cost in SA
and how much petrol would I be using per day or week in the park ?
I know it depends on car km etc but I am just looking for a rough estimate from your own
experiences to get an idea from .
The plan is to fly from abroad into Skukuza airport and rent a vehicle there .
I am trying to build a cost sheet and see how much I will have to spend in the park on food and petrol
before I actually look into flights and accommodation .
Thanks for your help :)

Enni

Re: Petrol / Gas cost 2016

Unread post by Enni » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:07 am

Hi ANAT,

costs are depending not only on the kilometers you are driving and the type of car but especially on the denth of sightings ... :D .

I am a guy who is in the park once the gate open until gate closing, just small breaks for breakfast and lunch. During that time I calculate with 150 - 200 km per day. The maximum was around 250km.

If I remember right the costs per litre diesel are around 1 Euro (2015), which was 12 - 13 rand that time. Now we have a better exchange rate and lower fuel prices all over the world .

I normally drive a smaller SUV which needs approx 7 - 8 litres per 100 km.

May be this helps for your rough calculation...
Greetings from Germany
Next Time Kruger:

May be next year!!

RemiE
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by RemiE » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:19 am

Hi Anat and welcome to the forum
All the nitty gritty aside, if I look at our past expenses the following is clear
An average car, with an air-conditioning running driving at no more than 35km/h. Driving from gate opening approximately 4 hours, then back at camp and then 2 hours before gate closure accumulated daily, included stopping at sightings and at viewpoint and picnic sites we averaged 120 – 160km daily. Same goes for half days trip.
Idling at a maximum speed of 35/km our vehicle travelled round 600km per tank in the park. Hence we went 3 ½ - 4 days with 1 tank of 50L……..Petrol
That's it for us
Last edited by RemiE on Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GLORY be to God for dappled things—Gerard Manley Hopkins (1844–89).
TR: Mother Nature’s Mood Swing – KNP 2016

harrys
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Unread post by harrys » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:19 am

Hi Anat

I drive a 2L diesel Qashqai and when driving in Kruger I get 19 km/l when driving at 40km/h, Diesel price in Kruger should be around R11.

Hope this will help
Say NO to hotels in KNP!!!

KTP: Nossob 13 to 20 November 2017
KNP: Skukuza 27 to 30 April 2018

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Re: Petrol in the Krugerpark

Unread post by Crested Val » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:19 pm

Most of the park petrol stations now accept the major credit cards (including overseas ones) however we always have some cash with us as on occasions the system is down and cards can't be used, especially in the smaller main camps like Punda Maria. Last time we were there Orpen only accepted cash or Petro cards.

Petrol is only available at the following main camps:
Croc Bridge, Berg en Dal, Lower Sabie, Skukuza, Pretoriouskop, Orpen, Satara, Letaba, Mopani, Shingwedzi, Punda Maria. :thumbs_up:

Enjoy your trip Ton&Herma!!! :dance:
I long each day for my beloved Kruger!!!! :thumbs_up:

Crested Val
Forum Assistant
Forum Assistant
FAC Member (2015)

Re: Fuel Advice needed

Unread post by Crested Val » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:38 pm

Meandering Mouse wrote:Hi Ton@Herma,

I also take great care to never dip into my reserve tank. It has happened in the past that a station (Letaba) has run out of petrol in the busy season. I had to travel to the nearest town to fill up.

I agree Wendy.................somebody once gave me some good advice.................when in Kruger/KTP fill up when you can, not when you need to!!!!!! :thumbs_up:

From time to time the petrol stations do run out!!! :big_eyes:
I long each day for my beloved Kruger!!!! :thumbs_up:

siska

Unread post by siska » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:33 am

hi, is there any petrol station in orpen or tamboti camp? and do they accept credit card?

thanks
siska

Hippotragus
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:48 am

There is a fuel station at the Orpen gate - just outside the camp. There is no fuel station at Tamboti camp itself.

The fuel station should take South African garage cards. I am not sure about credit cards - maybe someone else can reply on that (we only use our SA garage cards).

The garage/credit card payments are reliant on the connection, so always take some cash just in case - we have quite often been told "no cards - system down" and had to pay cash!!
Skukuza 13 October 2017
Letaba 14-17 Oct 2017
Shingwedzi 17-20 Oct 2017
Punda Maria 20-24 Oct 2017

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:29 pm

The petrol stations will accept S.A credit cards, provided of course as Hippotragus says there is not a power outage at that time. :thumbs_up:

arks
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by arks » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:12 am

Elsa wrote:The petrol stations will accept S.A credit cards, provided of course as Hippotragus says there is not a power outage at that time. :thumbs_up:

US credit cards (and I'd assume other overseas cards) are also accepted. I've used mine with no problems -- and happily have not encountered any power outages, but you do need to be prepared just in case ... :whistle:
RSA 2017
9-11 November Cape Town
11-29 November RMS St Helena: St Helena & Ascension
29-30 November Cape Town
1 December-21 January Darling

Elsa

Unread post by Elsa » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:58 am

Of course they do, sorry I was confusing the petrol cards with CC's :doh:

safarigal

Unread post by safarigal » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:00 pm

Just wanted to add to the previous posts about the necessity to ALWAYS carry cash and to NEVER drive on your reserve tank. We have been in Letaba when they have run out of petrol AND the ATM was out of money ...... they were waiting for more cash from Phalaborwa to arrive and refill the machine........ we had choices to either get petrol at Olifants or Phalaborwa, we chose Phalaborwa, thank heavens we still had enough petrol in the tank. Totally agree, never to let your tank run low ..... always top up.

Hippotragus
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:58 pm

That must have been scary, safarigal! I do all the driving to, in and from any holiday we take and my husband gets irritated because I fill the bakkie tank when it gets to quarter of a tank. Your story just proves that I am not stupid!!! So glad you made it safely to a fuel station!

I know that the fuel stations at Mata Mata and Nossob in Kgalagadi often run out of fuel, or have problems with their pumps, and the nearest fuel is over 250 km away - so even more reason to fill up often (in fact I always take a 20 litre can of diesel, just in case).
Skukuza 13 October 2017
Letaba 14-17 Oct 2017

kahtrav

Unread post by kahtrav » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:42 am

Do rental cars come with a reserve tank? Are they all diesel rather than gasoline powered? We'll drive from O R Tambo and obviously a lot in the park for 10 days.

Hippotragus
Senior Virtual Ranger
Senior Virtual Ranger

Unread post by Hippotragus » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:08 am

I very much doubt that rental cars will have reserve tanks - they are normally only fitted to large 4x4 vehicles that are going on trips to places without fuel stations (some of Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia etc.). I don't know if rental cars are petrol or diesel.

There are several fuel stations on the way to Kruger and every main camp in Kruger has a fuel station - both petrol and diesel available. Just have some cash, in case the systems are down and can't process credit/garage cards.
Skukuza 13 October 2017
Letaba 14-17 Oct 2017

Return to “Kruger National Park”